FDA Please submit your comments to FDA re: #vaping witch trials

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
As of today, only 58 comments have been submitted to FDA docket accompanying the kangaroo court dubbed "e-cigarette workshops". CASAA applied to have Dr. Phillips and Dr. Burstyn attend, but were ignored.

With an estimated 21M ecig users in the USA, we should be able to submit at least 100K comments without much effort.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ers-no-longer-regularly-smoke-cigarettes.html

Please use the link below to submit your comments, telling FDA how vaping saved your life, that you condemn their attempts to ban the cure for smoking, and that you will fight to ensure those corrupt FDA apparatchiks responsible for this atrocity end up behind bars:
Comment on FDA docket via Regulations.gov
Deadline April 15
Extended to July 2 per Bill G.

Here's a useful document to help you formulate your comment:
Briefing on the science and policy of e-cigarettes and vaping « The counterfactual
You may submit as many comments as you'd like, and they may be anonymous.

Last edited by a moderator:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
As of today, only 58 comments have been submitted to FDA docket accompanying the kangaroo court dubbed "e-cigarette workshops". CASAA applied to have Dr. Phillips and Dr. Burstyn attend, but were ignored.

With an estimated 21M ecig users in the USA, we should be able to submit at least 100K comments without much effort.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ers-no-longer-regularly-smoke-cigarettes.html

Please use the link below to submit your comments, telling FDA how vaping saved your life, that you condemn their attempts to ban the cure for smoking, and that you will fight to ensure those corrupt FDA apparatchiks responsible for this atrocity end up behind bars:
Deadline April 15

Briefing on the science and policy of e-cigarettes and vaping « The counterfactual
Looks like I've got my plan for the day...
:)

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
"CASAA applied to have Dr. Phillips and Dr. Burstyn attend, but were ignored."

Pretty much tells you what the effect of 'anecdotal' comments might have. Every one of my representatives as well as the FDA and a few other gov't agencies has a mountain of data from me (much from Phillips and Burstyn :facepalm:) I'm about done wasting time and willing to let the chips fall where they may at this point. I'm thoroughly prepared for the black market, if that's the outcome. Anything less than that, I can handle as well.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Deadline April 15

Thanks for this! Is there any other info I need, such a number, or whatever (I remember when we first commented last year, we needed to attach some number to the comment)...?

I've just written up my comment -- here is what I plan to tell them:

I smoked for 39 years, anywhere from 3/4-pk a day, all the way up to, at one point, 3 pks a day. I tried to quit at least 4 times, either cold-turkey or using "the patch," but all I ever managed was to cut down on smoking; I never could entirely quit -- until I found e-cigarettes. Now, as of March 2015, I have been entirely smoke-free for 7 1/2 months -- the longest smoke-free period I have enjoyed in 40 years. So do not try to suggest that e-cigarettes are not effective for quitting smoking, because I know differently, along with quite a few millions of others who have successfully quit smoking entirely thanks to e-cigarettes, and more millions who have significantly decreased their smoking, again thanks to e-cigarettes.

My overall health and lungs are much better now; I have asthma, and without the heavy load of "tar," I have much less coughing, I don't wake up gasping for breath, I can walk up stairs and hills quite easily. For the last few years I smoked, I had started to occasionally suffer a massive, breathtaking pain in my chest, but since I started vaping about a year ago, I have not suffered that pain even once, not even while dancing -- which I can once again enjoy, as I couldn't for the last 20 years I smoked. I've gotten my singing voice back, and though I've never put my singing to any use other than personal enjoyment, it's wonderful to be able to sing again; it does great things for my overall mental health.

The FDA was put in place to protect the American public from things which are actually dangerous -- nicotine is not one of those things, when used in Nicotine Replacement Therapy, or in e-cigarettes. The FDA was NOT put in place to protect the pharmaceutical industry nor the tobacco industry, but if you persist in your addle-pated efforts to "regulate" e-cigarettes, you will be protecting a multi-trillion-dollar pair of industries that do not need your help, and you will be responsible for the grievous injury and death of millions of people who might otherwise have switched to vaping, and some of those who have already completely switched who will be unable to afford what vaping products may remain, after your ill-advised and unethical interference, or who may find pre-filled cartomizers and under-powered batteries completely inadequate. You will also be responsible for the creation of a black market similar to the black market alcohol enjoyed during Prohibition, because there are many, myself included, who will continue to vape as we see fit, regardless of your imbecilic laws.

The FDA has NO right, and NO REASON, to take vaping away from the millions who have benefitted from it. The FDA must accept that the world is changing, and this technology is here to stay. No matter what you do, you cannot put this genie back in the bottle, and many of us will do everything we can possibly do to make sure of it, and many of us will also do everything possible to make certain that those responsible for the CRIMINAL act of suppressing vaping are prosecuted for it.

Let me know if I need to attach some number to this, before I actually submit....

Thx!!
Andria

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest

Deadline April 15

from what i speculate, it may take more effort then we assume....

Regulations.gov said:
Your comment may be viewable on Regulations.gov once the agency has reviewed it.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Submitted...

I quit smoking tobacco cigarettes on August 13th 2013 via electronic cigarette. I had been smoking for 28 years and was up to a pack and a half a day by the time I quit. As far as health affects go I am no longer constantly hacking all day long and can breath much better when I lay down at night. The constant worry that my beloved cigarettes would one day kill me is the most notable affect for me though. I hadn't realized the constant stress from that worry had weighed so heavily on me. I'm feeling much lighter and have a much brighter out look for my future.

I still use my electronic cigarette, despite the stigma the media and some so called medical and health professionals/advocates are trying to place on e-cigs. I've about had it with the negative message that e-cigs are dangerous and don't help people quit smoking tobacco. Oh, really? I and millions of others, who are being ignored in the publishing of statistics on electronic cigarettes, must be a fluke. A fluke that's getting in the way of every day business for pharmaceutical and tobacco companies.

If electronic cigarettes didn't work none of this research by the FDA would be being done. If electronic cigarettes weren't so successful they would be flat out ignored. Things that have no power to affect change never get attention but look at the attention e-cigs have garnered, this is huge. Electronic cigarettes are just flat out that successful and are that much of world changing technology.

To reign in such progress is completely nonsensical and makes one question the motives of those aiming to set such controls. Effort to make vaping available to as many as possible is what should be happening. Effort to assist in guiding this product to those who need it should be top priority. Smoking cessation programs already exist all over the country and should be utilized to promote, distribute and educate the general population on this viable method for smoking cessation.

To destroy or lessen this product in any way is no different than telling smokers they should continue to smoke. Period.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
"CASAA applied to have Dr. Phillips and Dr. Burstyn attend, but were ignored."

Pretty much tells you what the effect of 'anecdotal' comments might have. Every one of my representatives as well as the FDA and a few other gov't agencies has a mountain of data from me (much from Phillips and Burstyn :facepalm:) I'm about done wasting time and willing to let the chips fall where they may at this point. I'm thoroughly prepared for the black market, if that's the outcome. Anything less than that, I can handle as well.

sorry to hear you gave up the fight, Kent :(

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Yeah, everyone has their limit for how much they can take.

I kind of gave up a few years ago, but got a second wind at some point.
Although even then I could only operate at half-strength.
:(

I'm glad to see some of the newer vapers getting involved.
That's what we need more and more (and more) of to get where we need to get.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

I didn't 'give up the fight' - just that part of it. My emails to not just my congress critters (plus state and local officials) but others from other states total in the hundreds. Only on a few occasions - Ted Cruz and Sen. Burr and maybe one more - were there any indications that they were read by the representatives and some, 'Sen Sherrod Brown' for example, gave no indication of the subject matter in their canned responses. I know that sometimes there is just a 'head count' on comments pro and con, but truly, I have no more to add than what I've already done - lots!! of links, my own personal story and some politics of rights all included.

That said, those who have NOT done so, should do so, imo, but to keep in mind some of our experiences to tamper expectations.

Edit:
Senator Rob Portman (R/OH) also sent a thoughtful non-canned response.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Yeah, everyone has their limit for how much they can take.

I kind of gave up a few years ago, but got a second wind at some point.
Although even then I could only operate at half-strength.
:(

I'm glad to see some of the newer vapers getting involved.
That's what we need more and more (and more) of to get where we need to get.

If one wants to truly stop or reel back regulations they should support $$$ organizations that do that and educate people more widely than one industry - Cato Institute, Reason Foundation (Jacob Sullum - one of our foremost supporters in the media), Atlas Society, Club for Growth and Institute for Justice to name a few. That's more 'commitment' than is represented by making comments that mostly aren't read. And I've been doing that yearly since the early 80's. So how about no more comments on me 'giving up the fight' :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I didn't 'give up the fight' - just that part of it. My emails to not just my congress critters (plus state and local officials) but others from other states total in the hundreds. Only on a few occasions - Ted Cruz and Sen. Burr and maybe one more - were there any indications that they were read by the representatives and some, 'Sen Sherrod Brown' for example, gave no indication of the subject matter in their canned responses. I know that sometimes there is just a 'head count' on comments pro and con, but truly, I have no more to add than what I've already done - lots!! of links, my own personal story and some politics of rights all included.

That said, those who have NOT done so, should do so, imo, but to keep in mind some of our experiences to tamper expectations.

I agree that these FDA comments probably won't carry a lot of weight. But my feeling is, if I don't at least make my opinion known, then if/when they pass some stupid draconian laws, I will feel at least partly to blame -- as someone pointed out in another thread, silence can be taken for tacit approval. That's most of the reason why I vote for whichever candidate looks like the lesser jackass.

And yesterday, it occurred to me to wonder.... maybe they don't really plan to do things in such a way that eliminates vaping as we know it, but right now, in the preliminary phases, maybe they want BP and BT to *think* that's what's going to happen. If they really wanted to eliminate vaping, wouldn't they be moving a lot faster to do so? Because it seems to me they're moving at a snail's pace, perhaps just so that vaping can really catch on, and then they can claim to BP and BT, "well, we tried, but The People have spoken."

Andria

RCHagy74

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2014
Niverville, NY, US
If they really wanted to eliminate vaping, wouldn't they be moving a lot faster to do so? Because it seems to me they're moving at a snail's pace, perhaps just so that vaping can really catch on, and then they can claim to BP and BT, "well, we tried, but The People have spoken."

Andria

Or, let the state legislatures speak, see what does and does not stick, and then say 'the people ('s moronic representatives) have spoken.'

I am tired and cranky though... (seriously... if I knew I was going to pay a thousand dollars to repair my domestic car, I would have just bought a BMW, never repaired it and still gotten 200,000 miles out of it).

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I agree that these FDA comments probably won't carry a lot of weight. But my feeling is, if I don't at least make my opinion known, then if/when they pass some stupid draconian laws, I will feel at least partly to blame -- as someone pointed out in another thread, silence can be taken for tacit approval. That's most of the reason why I vote for whichever candidate looks like the lesser jackass.

And yesterday, it occurred to me to wonder.... maybe they don't really plan to do things in such a way that eliminates vaping as we know it, but right now, in the preliminary phases, maybe they want BP and BT to *think* that's what's going to happen. If they really wanted to eliminate vaping, wouldn't they be moving a lot faster to do so? Because it seems to me they're moving at a snail's pace, perhaps just so that vaping can really catch on, and then they can claim to BP and BT, "well, we tried, but The People have spoken."

Andria

Andria. I totally understand and agree. It's why I have commented in the past. It's just on this one - to the FDA basically - that when it is stated that "CASAA applied to have Dr. Phillips and Dr. Burstyn attend, but were ignored.", then that indicates, to me anyway, that the effort would be a waste of time. And this isn't the only time this 'ignoring' has been the case. Bill has mentioned many times where he or his comments have been totally ignored - even when comments were 'encouraged'. It's a bit like a TV host saying 'send us your emails', then only picking and choosing the ones that either show the person to be a total fool, or ones that praise or support the host's position. All other are likely deleted and not given any notice beyond whether it fits the above categories.

Any comment I might send would do just the opposite - show that the 'host' (FDA) are total fools. And most of the 'open for comment' period was something that some civil libertarian type congressman added to the legislation so that 'the people's voice' could be heard. It wouldn't be an FDA 'policy' just as sending the deeming to the SBA/RFA wouldn't be part of it either. It's only 'by law' that they HAVE to do those things when in fact, from all appearances, they couldn't care less whether the 'people's voice' is heard or that regulations pass the smell test from the SBA.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
I am extremely disappointed that the amount of participation in these matters is so dismal. Maybe we should put Legislation, CASAA, FDA, etc., at the TOP of the forum list so people can see the THREATS to our beloved vaping. If they don't start getting involved, one day they might not have anything to talk about except the "good old days". We need to get everyone's attention! If it's the first thing one sees, it might just get them scared then motivated.

MTFogger

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
North Carolina

Edit:
Senator Rob Portman (R/OH) also sent a thoughtful non-canned response.

Perhaps, and this may sound silly, its time for a million man march, however not via physical but virtual. Get the top 10 anti vapor candidates and every day send then 5 word "poster emails". No vulgar stuff just make your point type. Life story's don't seem to be effective to these brain dead politicians or they can't read that many words.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Maybe we should put Legislation, CASAA, FDA, etc., at the TOP of the forum list so people can see the THREATS to our beloved vaping.
I know I have been lobbying for that for years, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
And they did take action and moved it up a lot higher than it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread