? Please suggest ingredients and steep time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
My first batch 30 ml of 70vg/30pg. I mixed this up on Wednesday and I can adjust the flavorings based on any suggestions for better flavor or just overall changes:

Butterscotch (TFA) 10%
Sweet Cream (Cap) 4%
Marshmallow (Cap) 1%

Trying for a sweet creamy butterscotch. Also what would be your guess for steep time?

Additionally, don't know if it matters, but the flavorings are 100% PG and I put in Nic at 3mg using "ejuice Me Up" to aid in proper ml calculations.

I've done a couple of others but I only had 4 empty bottles and I realize there is a learning curve to this. I would just like to make good vapable e juice with an occasional over-the-counter purchase of ready made juice.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi Mary. Welcome to the ECF.

Your recipe Looks OK. Maybe a Tad High on the Total Flavoring Percentage for my Tastes. But Taste is Subjective.

As dobroeutro said, I would let the Mix sit for 3 or 4 Days in a Cool, Dark Place. Then give it a Try.

My only suggestions would be if you like this type of Recipes, to consider getting a Sweetener like The Flavor Apprentice Sweetener (Pure Sucralose in a PG Solution) or Cotton Candy Flavoring (Ethyl Maltol)

And if your Mix seems very Thick, or if you have Wicking Problems/Dry Hits from it where you Didn't before with other e-Liquids, that you Add a Few Drops of Water to that 30ml to make it Thinner.

That, and Keep Detailed and Accurate Notes on EVERYTHING you Mix. And Never Change a Recipe with Writing it down.

The Key to DIY is Patience and Accurate Records.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
My first batch 30 ml of 70vg/30pg. I mixed this up on Wednesday and I can adjust the flavorings based on any suggestions for better flavor or just overall changes:
Butterscotch (TFA) 10%
Sweet Cream (Cap) 4%
Marshmallow (Cap) 1%
Trying for a sweet creamy butterscotch. Also what would be your guess for steep time?
Additionally, don't know if it matters, but the flavorings are 100% PG and I put in Nic at 3mg using "eJuice Me Up" to aid in proper ml calculations.
I've done a couple of others but I only had 4 empty bottles and I realize there is a learning curve to this. I would just like to make good vapable e juice with an occasional over-the-counter purchase of ready made juice.
Recipe is just fine. I have bad taste buds, so this is why I like your mix. Percentages are on the strong side for folks who have good to excellent taste receptors.
For all creams 2 weeks min..
Butterscotch (TFA) 10% is a real dog flavor for me. I can not taste any butterscotch. I'm presently working with LA Butter Rum:
#127 LA Butter Rum Candy -----------5ml. Ready 1/1/17 ( I automatically natural steep everything 4 weeks or more)
LA Butter Rum 7%
TFA Vanilla Custard 2%

The above should hopefully mimic old fashion Butter Rum Lifesavers. Butter Rum is my go to in place of mild butterscotch.
100 PG is just fine, should transfer max. flavor to your mix.

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I'm presently working with LA Butter Rum: #127 LA Butter Rum Candy -----------5ml. Ready 1/1/17 ( I automatically natural steep everything 4 weeks or more)
LA Butter Rum 7%
TFA Vanilla Custard 2%

The above should hopefully mimic old fashion Butter Rum Lifesavers. Butter Rum is my go to...

I picked up some LA Butter Rum on my last order but have yet to do anything with it. I would be interested to hear how your mix turns out. I love those Butter Rum Lifesavers... :D

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA

Butterscotch (TFA) 10%
Sweet Cream (Cap) 4%
Marshmallow (Cap) 1%

Additionally, don't know if it matters, but the flavorings are 100% PG and I put in Nic at 3mg using "eJuice Me Up" to aid in proper ml calculations.

I'm a newbie to DIY so FWIW:

If you're looking for "sweet creamy butterscotch" I would go more towards 40/60 with the butterscotch and cream, say 6% butterscotch, sweet cream 6%, marshmallow 4% or 5% (for sweetness, if you have no sweetener). As dobroeutro says, Bavarian Cream would be good instead of/or with the Sweet Cream.

I do prefer LA Butter Rum. I have been vaping this for the last couple of days, a recipe I adapted from Bourbon Custard by @jambi
Can't stop vaping it, aged 2 weeks and can only get better.
I call it Butter Rum Custard:

Butter Rum (LA) 5%
Caramel (FA) 1.5%
Coconut Extra 0.5%
Cotton Candy (10% EM) (TPA) 1%
Toasted Almond (CAP) 1.5%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 10%

PG/VG: 30/70

Last edited:

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
Very good suggestions - thanks! I don't have any of the Butter Rum, but I will definitely be including that on my next order. I also need to include some sweetener. I did not want to gunk up my coils but I know my tasters would appreciate it.

As to adding water - how much do you add and what is its affect on the vape? I have a couple of 90vg/10pg juices and they're awesome (in Alien Baby Beast and Herakles Honor with .6 coil).

I started with the 70/30 for my Titan and ego Aio which do better with the 70/30 mix. I was hoping to add some additional vg if it tasted ok. Dunno?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

As to adding water - how much do you add and what is its affect on the vape? I have a couple of 90vg/10pg juices and they're awesome (in Alien Baby Beast and Herakles Honor with .6 coil).

Adding Water makes High VG e-Liquid thinner. And a Thinner e-Liquid will wick Better than a Thicker one. It Isn't always necessary to add Water. But if you are having Poor Wicking or Dry Hits, adding water can Help.

Some people also like to Add a little Water because to the Feel it Helps take Smooth's the Edges on some Flavorings.

Hard to say How Much to add? 3 or 4 Drops in a 30ml High VG Mix might be a Good place to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: ceeceeisme

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Welcome @Mary Lynn Z and all that really matters is how you think it came out! As your journey progresses you will find out what you like and what you want to make as your ADV.

I would suggest as being new to DIY that you make stand alone flavors and when you get them to taste how you like that is when you start expanding and mixing an ML or less in a tank to see how they work together. Make sure you make note of what you do so you can mix up a larger bath later. Keeping it simple at first allows for creativity later. I love to have a bottle of a single flavor I just got to mix a tank with this or that. I call them my mood mixes and some have been killer!

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Good to know this stuff.
If you mix a single flavor, does it still need to sit for a couple of days?
I have some Funnel Cake (Cap) and one of the reviewers on the site (ecigexpress) said it was good to shake and vape, but as a standalone I was not impressed. I mixed it at 10%.

It really depends on the flavor and brand it is. I find Custards and Deserts need a bit more time to age and infuse but I also neat my DIY mixes which speeds the process. It really is what works for you but you will get many good suggestions from the members here who like to assist others. Remember it is NOT as hard as some will have you believe!

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
#127 LA Butter Rum Candy -----------5ml. Ready 1/1/17 ( I automatically natural steep everything 4 weeks or more)
LA Butter Rum 7%
TFA Vanilla Custard 2%

The above should hopefully mimic old fashion Butter Rum Lifesavers. Butter Rum is my go to in place of mild butterscotch.

Mixed a variation of your recipe on 12/9. Gave it a whirl just before Christmas after only a couple of weeks. It turned out great! Just like the old fashioned Butter Rum Lifesavers. :D

Butter Rum (LA) 7%
Vanilla Custard V1 (CAP) 3%
Sweetener (Sucralose) 1%

Note: After mixing, I left it in the cupboard, cap off for 48 hrs... :cool:

Thanks for posting. This is a real treat! :thumbs:

dobroeutro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2016
North Carolina
I do prefer LA Butter Rum. I have been vaping this for the last couple of days, a recipe I adapted from Bourbon Custard by @jambi Can't stop vaping it, aged 2 weeks and can only get better. I call it Butter Rum Custard:

Butter Rum (LA) 5%
Caramel (FA) 1.5%
Coconut Extra 0.5%
Cotton Candy (10% EM) (TPA) 1%
Toasted Almond (CAP) 1.5%
Vanilla Custard v1 (CAP) 10%

PG/VG: 30/70

Mixed a variation of your recipe on 12/9. Gave it a taste yesterday, just shy of 3 weeks. It is really, really good! :)

Vanilla Custard V1 (CAP) 10%
Butter Rum (LA) 5%
Caramel (CAP) 1.5%
DX Coconut Candy (TFA) 1.25%
Hazelnut (FW) .75%
Sweetener (Sucralose) 1%

Note: After mixing, I left it in the cupboard, cap off for 48 hrs... ;)

Thanks for posting. This is a keeper! :thumbs:

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Mixed a variation of your recipe on 12/9. Gave it a taste yesterday, just shy of 3 weeks. It is really, really good! :)

Vanilla Custard V1 (CAP) 10%
Butter Rum (LA) 5%
Caramel (CAP) 1.5%
DX Coconut Candy (TFA) 1.25%
Hazelnut (FW) .75%
Sweetener (Sucralose) 1%

Note: After mixing, I left it in the cupboard, cap off for 48 hrs... ;)

Thanks for posting. This is a keeper! :thumbs:

Awesome variation! When I mix my next bottle I will try your version with the Coconut Candy and the Hazelnut :) Starting to run low on Coconut Extra anyway...

Will have to try BrotherBob's recipe too... would love me some butterscotch Lifesavers.

Mary Lynn Z

Dec 6, 2016
Well guys, I have to say regarding my initial recipe (Butterscotch 10%, Sweet Cream 4%, and Marshmallow 1%) - DON'T DO IT. It's not very good :)

I kept notes (great suggestion) and added additional Sweet Cream (dobroeutro suggested Bavarian Cream and I should have listened, might have helped). So having about 15ml left, I added a mix of 15ml of Vanilla Custard that I had and am vaping it now. I would rate it as acceptable, but definitely not something I would repeat.
I forgot to include the Butter Rum with my last order of flavorings.

As soon as I get some though I will be trying dobroeutro's recipe above. It sounds really tasty and I am a fan of Butter Rum Life Savers, so thanks for sharing.

Your help and suggestions have been great and I have learned a lot from all of the comments. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread