Plz help, new vaporizer making us cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
Lewiston, Idaho
hi, I joined about a month ago while waiting for my set of kangertech subvod c's to arrive in the mail. They were coming from fasttech and I opted for free shipping, so I pretty much waited for the full 20 days to get them.

So, my bf set his up right away, primed the .5 coil and *tried* to vape. Well, it hits waaay too hard for him and hurts his throat. He says it hurts the back of his throat and lungs and it instantly makes him cough. So this isn't the 'my throat is getting used to no cigs cough' it's the device causing the cough, we think(?)

We are using an ejuice by Dekang, 24mg nicotine, 75pg/25vg on a .5 coil.

Please help. I wanted to let my coil step first but I did try a hit from his, I took a very soft & slow pull and almost coughed myself. I have been so excited and almost obsessive thinking about becoming a vaper and quitting cigs. I really don't want to give up but my bf is almost already turned off to it. Any tips or advice on how to make this easier are greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Kprthevapr

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
hi, I joined about a month ago while waiting for my set of kangertech subvod c's to arrive in the mail. They were coming from fasttech and I opted for free shipping, so I pretty much waited for the full 20 days to get them.

So, my bf set his up right away, primed the .5 coil and *tried* to vape. Well, it hits waaay too hard for him and hurts his throat. He says it hurts the back of his throat and lungs and it instantly makes him cough. So this isn't the 'my throat is getting used to no cigs cough' it's the device causing the cough, we think(?)

Please help. I wanted to let my coil step first but I did try a hit from his, I took a very soft & slow pull and almost coughed myself. I have been so excited and almost obsessive thinking about becoming a vaper and quitting cigs. I really don't want to give up but my bf is almost already turned off to it. Any tips or advice on how to make this easier are greatly appreciated.
Soybds to me like waaay too much nicotine.

Most people need to move down to 6-9 mg nicotine when they start sub ohming

Migzz

Apr 24, 2017
Soybds to me like waaay too much nicotine.

Most people need to move down to 6-9 mg nicotine when they start sub ohming
Yea when i started about a month ago i started off with 6mg. To me that was a bit harsh... I moved down to 3mg and im loving it

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Your e juice is too high a pg first off .. second your nicotine level is for a basic 1.8 ohm coil mtl set up - not for sub ohming.

So, you can do one of two things, get a higher ohm coil, or get a higher vg and lower nicotine level of juice.

I have been vaping three years, and still cannot sub ohm as its too harsh for me. But if your wanting to sub ohm, then go with a 80 vg mix with a 6 mg nic level to start.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Dekang is going to be a very harsh vape even at lower strength (6mg/12mg).

It's high PG (harsh) and these flavors were designed a long time ago for very basic e-cigs.

Sub-ohm-ing Chinese juice with all sorts of unusual ingredients is not necessarily bad or dangerous, but the throat hit will be epic.

I ordered 20 bottles of 'old-style' juice (extremely cheap) by one of the top UK e-liquid vaping companies.
It's 50/50 and the flavors were formulated 5 years ago for basic hardware.
Boy.. this stuff kicks in modern equipment.... even 20w (9mg) is leaving me almost on the floor.

Dekang formulated some high VG/cloud/subohm liquid back in 2014 (or was it 2015) with the plan to sell it with 0mg, 1.5mg or 3.0mg to most customers. It was very nice. They sent me samples for review.

Sadly, about that time was when I discovered just how criminally (yes, criminally) motivated the e-cigarette review industry is. I could have reviewed the liquid (it really was such an improvement compared to the classic recipes) but I lost all confidence in the review industry. It is as fake as fake can be. Most people in it are in it for dubious selfish $$ reasons. I am bitter for all the newbies that get conned every day or every year by these crooks.

Original Dekang is best left for the old-tech kit. I would happily vape 24mg in a 5 watt device (cig-a-like or basic eGo pen) even today.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Are you doing mtl or dl inhales? Being they are like .5 ohm coils I would imagine the airflow is sort of open and perhaps more suitable for dl inhales and if that is what your doing then all comments above are correct. I see 2 things here with new vapors , one if your going with clouds and dl inhales, you go with lower resistances and more airflow, with this type of vaping you normally go with lower nic and higher vg. If wanting a more cig feel and mtl vaping, you go with tanks that have higher resistances and tighter airflow, it is these type tanks in which you can use higher nic levels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Davs

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Searched for the Subvod and immediately saw "We strongly suggest 6mg eLiquid or lower with this atomizer." Kanger SUBVOD-C Starter Kit

Yeah djs, I would vape 24 mg at 5 watts too if I even wanted that much nicotine, and wanted to go unflavored, even then it's intense!

Also, while I have no experience with the Subvod, my experience is any unadjustable device is pre-set wrong, they run too hot and hard.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS
    I have been vaping for nearly 5 years. I am a mouth-to-lung low wattage vaper (tootle puffer).

I have tried this type of kanger tank (toptank/subtank) over the years, but it has always been a little too harsh for me.

The best I can offer is to get higher vg lower nic liquid AND more importantly, get a higher ohm coil -- like a 1.5 ohm. The subvod battery portion is not adjustable (at least that's my take) so you can only vary things by changing the coil. With a .5 ohm coil you would be at 27 watts but at 1.5 ohms you would be at 9 watts. You might also need to lessen the airflow.

Don't give up. You might want to invest in something that is more adjustable like a simple istick.

Davs

Apr 26, 2017
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Searched for the Subvod and immediately saw "We strongly suggest 6mg eLiquid or lower with this atomizer." Kanger SUBVOD-C Starter Kit

Yeah djs, I would vape 24 mg at 5 watts too if I even wanted that much nicotine, and wanted to go unflavored, even then it's intense!

Also, while I have no experience with the Subvod, my experience is any unadjustable device is pre-set wrong, they run too hot and hard.
    Yeah, I feel kinda dumb. I did so much reading about what kind of device to get, and other vape related information and neglected to even think to look up how nicotine levels effect the experience! :3

Reactions: djsvapour

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Yeah, I feel kinda dumb. I did so much reading about what kind of device to get, and other vape related information and neglected to even think to look up how nicotine levels effect the experience! :3
    Pick up some pure VG (vegetable glycerin/glycerine aka glycerol -- it will be labeled "Glycerin USP") from the skin care aisle at your local pharmacy (it's used as a skin "humectant" or moisturizer -- Walmart sells Humco brand but any brand will do; as long as it's USP-certified, it's all the same stuff) and use it to cut your liquid 2:1 (2 parts glycerin to 1 part e-liquid). You will end up with three times the amount, at a 25%PG/75%VG blend and with one-third the original nic and flavor content. So your nic will be 24/3 = 8mg/ml. Flavor will be reduced by 2/3 as well, but if it was made for old-style devices it might be very heavily flavored to begin with so cutting it down a little might not even be a bad thing. At the very least it should at least be something you can use until you get another order in or something.

Reactions: Grimwald

Grimwald

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 12, 2012
    Lawrence KS

Every step, particularly when you start vaping, is a learning experience. I'm still learning. Live and learn as they say.

You can just go to Walmart and get some glycerine -- near the pharmacy (6 oz < $4.00) and weaken your liquid. it will also weaken the flavor but hey, any port in a storm. I still think you need higher ohm coils.

gycerine.jpeg

Reactions: bwh79

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Reactions: Migzz
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread