Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I picked up an ultem cap for one of my Hadaly RDAs from fastech for a few bucks and it fits and works fine but it is frosted. What is the best way to polish ultem to get a clear/glossy finish on the cap?

I don't want to go straight to fine-grit sandpaper and remove material, and I'm worried that some paste polishes may attack the plastic and soften it or fog it even more.

What do you guys use?

Thanks.

Reactions: Train2

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Interested in the answer too.
I know Big Apple mods has developed a really complex method to make ultem SUPER clear - like glass - but it involves "dipping" in dangerous gas and is a some kind of chemical reaction. Crazy, but his mods are STUNNING.
For a cap, I think I've heard "toothpaste" - but I'll wait to hear from someone who's done it!!

Reactions: gpjoe

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Well, I have a homemade mandrel comprised of a screw, two rubber cone washers, two flat washers, and a nut that I use to polish and brush metal caps:

mandrel.jpg

Here is what it looks like on the cap:

cap.jpg

I'm going to chuck it into a cordless drill and lightly apply some Colgate toothpaste on a soft rag and see what happens.

The cap came from Fastech and cost 3 bucks, but the wait was three weeks. To me it's more about the wait than the cost of the cap itself.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Well, I tried toothpaste, Simichrome polish, a Cape Cod cloth and finished with some Meguire's plastic polish. After a good wash, I ended up with this:

cap2.jpg

It's a bit clearer but still has some machining marks - though it looks much better to the naked eye than in this macro shot. I suppose I could get it cleaner with some more work but have decided it's not worth the investment of my time.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
That is a cool "spin the plastic" gadget that even I could assemble! Nice!

Well, I have a homemade mandrel comprised of a screw, two rubber cone washers, two flat washers, and a nut that I use to polish and brush metal caps:

View attachment 665201

Here is what it looks like on the cap:

View attachment 665203

I'm going to chuck it into a cordless drill and lightly apply some Colgate toothpaste on a soft rag and see what happens.

The cap came from Fastech and cost 3 bucks, but the wait was three weeks. To me it's more about the wait than the cost of the cap itself.

Reactions: gpjoe

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
did this back a couple months ago, turned out alright, 2500 grit wet sand, and some jewelers rogue which added no taste or smell to the ultem, unfortunately next to impossible to do the interior. Still an improvement to me.

Going to try some tanks next time I have a chance.

IMGP0148 (Small).JPG

I picked up an ultem cap for one of my Hadaly RDAs from Fastech for a few bucks and it fits and works fine but it is frosted. What is the best way to polish ultem to get a clear/glossy finish on the cap?

I don't want to go straight to fine-grit sandpaper and remove material, and I'm worried that some paste polishes may attack the plastic and soften it or fog it even more.

What do you guys use?

Thanks.
I was told that polishing ultem can release a toxic chemical that could kill you. Seems like you got out okay though. I'm gonna have to do some research on this. Looks good btw

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I was told that polishing ultem can release a toxic chemical that could kill you. Seems like you got out okay though. I'm gonna have to do some research on this. Looks good btw

Well, that is certainly disturbing to hear but I have suffered no ill effects, thankfully. If you happen across a trusted source of information, I'd love to have a link.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You may be thinking of the vapor polishing process documented about 10 posts up? That does require the uses of some toxic gas... But that's not what we're talking about - we're just buffin some plastic.
:eek::D

Reactions: r77r7r
You may be thinking of the vapor polishing process documented about 10 posts up? That does require the uses of some toxic gas... But that's not what we're talking about - we're just buffin some plastic.
:eek::D
Gotcha, that is most likely the case. It kinda threw me off when I heard it to I wondered how it could be dangerous lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread