Apr 28, 2015
Z182UMPl.jpg

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

etherealink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2013
Junction, IL
Haven't been in here in a while so I thought I'd share what I did on a rainy day.

3-loop braided 28ga kanthal, coiled on a 3mm 8/7 wraps and fires at .4Ω in a mutation x v1. Great density for no afc and killer flavor. Now to try the 5 loop and dual coils of the 3-loop!

Wq0tKFR.jpg

Check out @squidoode on ig for the tutorial

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Have you seen anyone do this build before? i havent seen it but then i dont go to places like instagram, let me know guys :)

0.1mm 80n claptoned on 0.32mm 60n...

i then claptoned the above wire onto 0.32nichrome and then pulled and untwisted out the clapton by hand to make big even gaps along the whole length, then claptoned 1mmx0.1 ribbon into the gap along the length, then whilst keeping the wire in the drill i ran my finger and thumb along the length a couple of times whilst spinning the drill to tighten the ribbon down tighter to the base wire and then used pliars on the end to twist the whole length to make it tighter still without over tightening. i hope that all makes sense! :)

not the best pic but you can see how a quick jab of the fire button gets a real good response

wicked tighter than i normally would with ... cotton pads, i also really wanted more of a gap under the the coil but decided to just run with it just to get vaping on it asap to see how she blows :)

Really impressed with this build, ive been running a stapled clapton in one of my other rigs for a few weeks now which has been my fav but this build somehow beats it.
Its kinda like a Stapled clap but the other way around.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Have you seen anyone do this build before? i havent seen it but then i dont go to places like instagram, let me know guys :)

0.1mm 80n claptoned on 0.32mm 60n...

i then claptoned the above wire onto 0.32nichrome and then pulled and untwisted out the clapton by hand to make big even gaps along the whole length, then claptoned 1mmx0.1 ribbon into the gap along the length, then whilst keeping the wire in the drill i ran my finger and thumb along the length a couple of times whilst spinning the drill to tighten the ribbon down tighter to the base wire and then used pliars on the end to twist the whole length to make it tighter still without over tightening. i hope that all makes sense! :)

not the best pic but you can see how a quick jab of the fire button gets a real good response

wicked tighter than i normally would with ... cotton pads, i also really wanted more of a gap under the the coil but decided to just run with it just to get vaping on it asap to see how she blows :)

Really impressed with this build, ive been running a stapled clapton in one of my other rigs for a few weeks now which has been my fav but this build somehow beats it.
Its kinda like a Stapled clap but the other way around.

That is nuts. How long have you been building?

I just started doing clapton like last week. I'm putting two feet of core wire into the drill chuck and getting 5 inches of usable results :/.

So I made this last night. 28g N80 core fused dual clapton with 36g KA1 outer. It's really messy and spaced out because I had to attempt to straighten it while I was wrapping and could only pinch it so much while dry firing. 28g cores for a fused clapton is so small it's almost round not flat lol.

9508a5fd17e15b30b23648f531383a80.jpg

Also, it turned a really weird rainbow color which I haven't seen before. Why did that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm putting two feet of core wire into the drill chuck and getting 5 inches of usable results :/.
Also, it turned a really weird rainbow color which I haven't seen before. Why did that happen?

Wrapping fused claptons on larger wire is a lot easier than 28ga and smaller :p You'll get better with time though. Imo the key is low drill speed and steady hands. Nichrome turns colors when heated, similar to titanium.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Wrapping fused claptons on larger wire is a lot easier than 28ga and smaller :p You'll get better with time though. Imo the key is low drill speed and steady hands. Nichrome turns colors when heated, similar to titanium.

Yeah I figured but I didn't want the resistance below 0.2 ohms. Also trying to cut down on ramp up time. I find that if I don't go fast on the drill speed then my wraps are all spaced out. I'm sure I can get better with time though. I know nichrome turns blue with heat but it looks like the kanthal on the outside changed colors as well.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
That is nuts. How long have you been building?

I just started doing clapton like last week. I'm putting two feet of core wire into the drill chuck and getting 5 inches of usable results :/.

So I made this last night. 28g N80 core fused dual clapton with 36g KA1 outer. It's really messy and spaced out because I had to attempt to straighten it while I was wrapping and could only pinch it so much while dry firing. 28g cores for a fused clapton is so small it's almost round not flat lol.

9508a5fd17e15b30b23648f531383a80.jpg

Around two and a half yrs :) its nice that we can make a hobby of it cus its defo contributed to helping me turn my back on smoking.

Your coils look tidy enough, all i would suggest is getting hold of some dif size syringe needles then you could do some nice bends in your clapton or fused clapton wire to make center post builds, it will give you more of an even wick either side of your coil with centered coils plus you can get a nice big gap underneath, i prefer coils with gaps between the wraps as you dont have to worry if you have created a hotspot etc whilst you were wicking it which you wouldnt really know you had once wicked and juiced.
I go on sometimes :) just one more thing, see how your leg of the coil nearest the side of the atty is on the bottom, well if your not going to center your coil then wrap the opposite direction to what you have or move your coil to the otherside of the atty so you have more of a gap between the leg and atty.

and another thing lol, if your fused clapton isnt taking on the shape of the two wires and is turning into a round shape then you probably need to speed up the drill to get the wraps tighter but you need to start of slow to get the wraps tight.

Reactions: etherealink

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Yeah I figured but I didn't want the resistance below 0.2 ohms. Also trying to cut down on ramp up time. I find that if I don't go fast on the drill speed then my wraps are all spaced out. I'm sure I can get better with time though. I know nichrome turns blue with heat but it looks like the kanthal on the outside changed colors as well.

if when im wrapping a long long length of clapton or clapton on top of quite thin gauge wire then i use my bobbin holder instead of my finger and thumb, i've made my bobbin holder with the tube from a cotton bud which isnt really that hard of a plastic but what happens is the wire creates, cuts itself a lttle slit or slot into the tube which you can hold against the wire or supporting the wire you are claptoning on and you can feel the wire pushing along the length as its wrapping, even doing it this way you still need to start off slow to get a few wraps tight and then the rest should follow so long as you dont change the drill speed to fast.

bobbing holder's..

38g wrapped tight on 28g with the bobbing holder and slit technique..

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Around two and a half yrs :) its nice that we can make a hobby of it cus its defo contributed to helping me turn my back on smoking.

Your coils look tidy enough, all i would suggest is getting hold of some dif size syringe needles then you could do some nice bends in your clapton or fused clapton wire to make center post builds, it will give you more of an even wick either side of your coil with centered coils plus you can get a nice big gap underneath, i prefer coils with gaps between the wraps as you dont have to worry if you have created a hotspot etc whilst you were wicking it which you wouldnt really know you had once wicked and juiced.
I go on sometimes :) just one more thing, see how your leg of the coil nearest the side of the atty is on the bottom, well if your not going to center your coil then wrap the opposite direction to what you have or move your coil to the otherside of the atty so you have more of a gap between the leg and atty.

and another thing lol, if your fused clapton isnt taking on the shape of the two wires and is turning into a round shape then you probably need to speed up the drill to get the wraps tighter but you need to start of slow to get the wraps tight.

I don't get it. What would I use the syringe needle for?

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
if when im wrapping a long long length of clapton or clapton on top of quite thin gauge wire then i use my bobbin holder instead of my finger and thumb, i've made my bobbin holder with the tube from a cotton bud which isnt really that hard of a plastic but what happens is the wire creates, cuts itself a lttle slit or slot into the tube which you can hold against the wire or supporting the wire you are claptoning on and you can feel the wire pushing along the length as its wrapping, even doing it this way you still need to start off slow to get a few wraps tight and then the rest should follow so long as you dont change the drill speed to fast.

bobbing holder's..

38g wrapped tight on 28g with the bobbing holder and slit technique..

Sorry for the double reply. So I'm not sure I understand exactly how this Bobby pin thing works but if it makes it easier to wrap claptons then I definitely need it. Lol

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Sorry for the double reply. So I'm not sure I understand exactly how this Bobby pin thing works but if it makes it easier to wrap claptons then I definitely need it. Lol

haha no worries, you can do a youtube search for 'diy bobbing holder' i will post some pics to show you how it can help.

i was also mentioning syringe needle to you cus you can bend your coil legs with them to get your coils centered in the atty

Reactions: Kevo333
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread