Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Anyone has pics of a parallel vertabraid?...looking for ideas on how dress it up. I want to make it look pretty. It looks plain by itself and i dont want to mess it up. 10" weaved by hand took me a couple hours....
If you do it enough you will pick up speed but i'd have to see which one you did before i comment :D
You should try some braids with cores

Reactions: G-weezy

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Thats what im aiming for slip but I just started so i made a flat 6 strand braid....

Do i have to weave the braid with a stationary wire in the middle as the core? Did you use a kuihimo disk or whatever is called...lol Or did you just weave throughout front and back of core?

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Thats what im aiming for slip but I just started so i made a flat 6 strand braid....

Do i have to weave the braid with a stationary wire in the middle as the core? Did you use a kuihimo disk or whatever is called...lol Or did you just weave throughout front and back of core?

I've never used one of those weaving discs.
Here are a couple of vids that will get you started in the right direction and he shows you how to go about braiding around a core, if you get stuck with any of it let me know :)

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Just put this together for kicks lol

m9vmf5.png

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Gotcha, 44 is so difficult to work with when you're hand wrapping. I went through nearly 100 feet of wire two days ago hand wrapping one coil cause it kept breaking until I finally got the hang of it. Facepalm

The 42 Ni80 is more difficult than the Kanthal 42, just a softer wire. I will get used to it though. And oh man, does it ramp up nice.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
The 42 Ni80 is more difficult than the Kanthal 42, just a softer wire. I will get used to it though. And oh man, does it ramp up nice.
Would dude. I made this after 10 hours of screwing around with the 44 ni80 gauge breaking on me notoriously trying to hand wrap it....
2qx0xdy.png

Once I mounted it and went to adjust it the 2 of the outer 44 Ni80 wires snapped and everything went to ..... I was kind of ticked but I took it as a learning experience. After a while I felt like a I became a pro at hand wrapping staple coils of that magnitude.

Currently working on a new project. I won't disclose it until tonight when it's mounted and fired up. So far I'm 7 hours into this coil because claptoning 40 around 36 is a total nightmare to begin with.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Would dude. I made this after 10 hours of screwing around with the 44 ni80 gauge breaking on me notoriously trying to hand wrap it....
2qx0xdy.png

Once I mounted it and went to adjust it the 2 of the outer 44 Ni80 wires snapped and everything went to ..... I was kind of ticked but I took it as a learning experience. After a while I felt like a I became a pro at hand wrapping staple coils of that magnitude.

Currently working on a new project. I won't disclose it until tonight when it's mounted and fired up. So far I'm 7 hours into this coil because claptoning 40 around 36 is a total nightmare to begin with.

Looking forward to seeing this new wire your working on :)

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
so here we go.....

I got 2 zipper strands done, allow me to elaborate lol
3x 40 a1 kanthal wrapped around 36 a1, twisted into spiral, TRIPLE helixed with a 40 gauge a1. The thickness of that entire baby was as thick as a 24 gauge. Crazy.
2gww8bq.jpg

Then decided to try something new and throw 2 ribbons in the middle and handwrap it. Originally was going for a cross wrap but me wasn't liking that, so I ended up doing a double.

iejzgy.png

I go to wrap it nice and tight and I'm seeing that the ribbon is twisting sideways on me. This isn't the first time a ribbon is doing that. I'm starting to realize that if you want to avoid a ribbon bending you have to have a pretty decent size tension in the middle and strong frames. These zipper strands are so flimsy and so extremely springy that this wasn't gonna work.

But I wasn't about to loose 8 hours I spent on those strands. So, we got this, triple helixed zippa. Some claps got spaces cause I couldn't be bothered to waste more wire getting them perfect.

If anyone has any tips on wrapping around 36 gauge and up please do share cause the tension you put on a Clapton either rips it out of a drill at some point or whatever. Even though it feels like you can barely put any pressure on it to begin with cause it pulls out or breaks with slightest pressure. So you just have to let it role. I swear - aliens are a lot more fun than claptoning 40 around 36. I could care less if it's a 28 or whatever but those higher gauge cores are a nightmare.

That alien above took like 40 minutes from start to finish with mounting with parallels, this b.... Took 10 hours. Anyway here you go :)

sv6eza.png

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Nice coils!

Justadude how does that one compare to your original helix zipper you were using, do you notice much difference?

I also have a new build but i need to go back to my phone to upload.

May aswell let you know now what it is.. its 24g ss430 x2 with a 5 loop braid of 32g kanthal and clocks in at 0.07ohms ..

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
picssnipped

Hot damn.

I was trying something like that a month or so ago, it was pretty much a failure, yours looks so good.

P.S. For the life of me, I don't know why thinking 42ga was the right choice for these coils i've been making this week. Oh well, I can order more in a week and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread