Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Hot damn.

I was trying something like that a month or so ago, it was pretty much a failure, yours looks so good.

P.S. For the life of me, I don't know why thinking 42ga was the right choice for these coils i've been making this week. Oh well, I can order more in a week and a half.
What're you trying to make bud? Maybe I can help?

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
What're you trying to make bud? Maybe I can help?

Nothing I haven't made before with a larger gauge wrap, the 42ga nichrome is just difficult to work with for wrapping claptons and framed staples. The fused claptons came out pretty well though.

Jumping from 34ga Kanthal to 42ga Nichrome was a bit of a leap. :D Totally different animal.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Nothing I haven't made before with a larger gauge wrap, the 42ga nichrome is just difficult to work with for wrapping claptons and framed staples. The fused claptons came out pretty well though.

Jumping from 34ga Kanthal to 42ga Nichrome was a bit of a leap. :D Totally different animal.
Don't pull on it. Jut hold the spool and let the wire wrap itself. The moment you see the bend stop the drill, straighten it out by pulling the drill away a bit and slowly start claptoning. You have to go really slow, the moment you speed up it'll break at the drill. That's assuming you're using mterks method and swivels.

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
Don't pull on it. Jut hold the spool and let the wire wrap itself. The moment you see the bend stop the drill, straighten it out by pulling the drill away a bit and slowly start claptoning. You have to go really slow, the moment you speed up it'll break at the drill. That's assuming you're using mterks method and swivels.

The only time I had a break was when I failed to notice that the 42ga had gotten caught. I don't hold the spool, I have a place for that. I tend to pinch the wire where it is wrapping around the core/cores. For the most part it went OK, it was just not as easy as larger gauges have been for me due to how thin it is. More of a familiarity thing than anything else. The biggest problem I had was I don't have my new nylon tipped pliers yet, and when I was straightening my framed staple, I gripped it too hard with my other pliers and actually broke the wrap. Mostly just a tools/familiarity thing.

The size of the wire exceeded my phone's ability to get a decent closeup, but you can see in a cropped out part of the original pic where my pliers damaged this one. This wasn't the worse mishap, but for the most part you can see the wrapping was fine. They are just fragile. Dang soft wire. :)

No posted inline as this is not reduced at all - http://i.imgur.com/l7wG49b.jpg

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
So is that just a fused clapton wrapped in 42? I don't see any other wires in there besides 2 which makes me wonder how is that a staple? Not bashing on you dude just trying to figure out what staple you speak of since all I'm seeing is a fused clap with parallel

I could also he wrong about the parallel part, not sure if it's a wire or just reflection of juice

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
wow, you guys are artists

Hot damn.

I was trying something like that a month or so ago, it was pretty much a failure, yours looks so good.

P.S. For the life of me, I don't know why thinking 42ga was the right choice for these coils i've been making this week. Oh well, I can order more in a week and a half.

If anyone has any tips on wrapping around 36 gauge and up please do share cause the tension you put on a Clapton either rips it out of a drill at some point or whatever. Even though it feels like you can barely put any pressure on it to begin with cause it pulls out or breaks with slightest pressure. So you just have to let it role. I swear - aliens are a lot more fun than claptoning 40 around 36. I could care less if it's a 28 or whatever but those higher gauge cores are a nightmare.

Thanks guys ;)

Hey justadude, concerning your issue with wrapping are you doing it without a swivel and are you pinching the wrap wire against the core wire?

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
a51c2e07986f5cffffcce53ed08d61c0.jpg

I'm blank on ideas on how to finish this off. It's basically spaced groove fused every 3 wraps so I can hypothetically add two more groove fuses. But I have no clue as to what I want to do to finish it.
Any ideas are helpful at this point, it's just been sitting unfinished attached to a swivel for like a month now.
Specs are 8x .5x.1mm/38g core staple and 4x .4x.1mm split out 2 on each side groove fused to that with either 44g or 46g, I forgot because it's been so long since I actually started it. And I've been on an interlocking fraple alien kick since. Made a 38/40g over 28g/8x.4 interlocking fraple alien a few days ago that I haven't coiled up yet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
a51c2e07986f5cffffcce53ed08d61c0.jpg

I'm blank on ideas on how to finish this off. It's basically spaced groove fused every 3 wraps so I can hypothetically add two more groove fuses. But I have no clue as to what I want to do to finish it.
Any ideas are helpful at this point, it's just been sitting unfinished attached to a swivel for like a month now.
Specs are 8x .5x.1mm/38g core staple and 4x .4x.1mm split out 2 on each side groove fused to that with either 44g or 46g, I forgot because it's been so long since I actually started it. And I've been on an interlocking fraple alien kick since. Made a 38/40g over 28g/8x.4 interlocking fraple alien a few days ago that I haven't coiled up yet

Maybe add another frame to each side, maybe have the frames clapton'ed or space clapton and then do a spaced stitch or alien to tie it all together?......

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Maybe add another frame to each side, maybe have the frames clapton'ed or space clapton and then do a spaced stitch or alien to tie it all together?......
Well I was thinking add 2x .3 to each side (4 total) and skip staggering them, then adding one piece of 2x2 square to half frame it and fusing that to everything else. But idk. It's a lot of work and I'm lazy.
08c03b9ada59b7c3be3c53db369f4e02.jpg

I did make a triple 40g interlock over 28/8x .4 though.
f99e48dbdd79a09426d63d3b9041b64f.jpg

They've been vaping so well I just keep making them haha

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Thanks guys ;)

Hey justadude, concerning your issue with wrapping are you doing it without a swivel and are you pinching the wrap wire against the core wire?
No, swivels bro, I hate free handing it. If a muscle twitches I'm good on swivels, if it twitches on free hand then it's bye bye perfect wrap lol
Good idea, or Double stagger it

Well I was thinking add 2x .3 to each side (4 total) and skip staggering them, then adding one piece of 2x2 square to half frame it and fusing that to everything else. But idk. It's a lot of work and I'm lazy.
08c03b9ada59b7c3be3c53db369f4e02.jpg

I did make a triple 40g interlock over 28/8x .4 though.
f99e48dbdd79a09426d63d3b9041b64f.jpg

They've been vaping so well I just keep making them haha

Triple interlock alien?

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Very nice an tidy Tom! i like it! :cool: ..it's good when you find that fail-safe!..

An upside to that build you haven't finished is that if you didn't like the outcome you could unwrap it without damaging what you've already done.

Have you tried doing that alien build like raymo did with the alternating two dif size aliens, ive seen the build on ig a couple of times but i just cant find the time to attempt it.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
That's what the problem is Jdude, you will get more breakages using the swivels to clapton thin wires than without, instead of doing what most do by holding the spool of wire say a foot away from the main wire at a 90° and letting it feed itself pinch the feed wire between thumb and forefinger and let your thumbnail rub against the main wire as its spinning, the tension of the wire going through your thumb and forefinger will pull them towards the main wire and even if you stop or move your hand you won't move where the feed wire is on the main so long as you dont let the tension off by relaxing your finger and thumb

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
That's what the problem is Jdude, you will get more breakages using the swivels to clapton thin wires than without, instead of doing what most do by holding the spool of wire say a foot away from the main wire at a 90° and letting it feed itself pinch the feed wire between thumb and forefinger and let your thumbnail rub against the main wire as its spinning, the tension of the wire going through your thumb and forefinger will pull them towards the main wire and even if you stop or move your hand you won't move where the feed wire is on the main so long as you dont let the tension off by relaxing your finger and thumb
I hear you loud and clear bro, I should give that a try tonight. Have you ever messed around with typing a screwdriver to your finger and doing it that way? I saw squidood do that on YouTube yesterday lol he said it works well for him. Thoughts on that?

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I hear you loud and clear bro, I should give that a try tonight. Have you ever messed around with typing a screwdriver to your finger and doing it that way? I saw squidood do that on YouTube yesterday lol he said it works well for him. Thoughts on that?

Nope ive never tried it but i do remember watching the vid and he was laying clapton on a long piece of wire, not sure of the gauges he used though

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Nope ive never tried it but i do remember watching the vid and he was laying clapton on a long piece of wire, not sure of the gauges he used though
I don't remember either, I can find it cause I watched it yesterday, it was the helixed zipper build video. I honestly never even watched that until yesterday, made my own helixed zipper long before that lol

He was talking about higher gauge wire and how it would break at the drill on such a high gauge, I'm sitting watching that and I'm like dang I wish I knew that before lol

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Got some amazing colors, all of these pictures are unedited.
23kohvq.png

6ojs3s.png

Glow shot
2qai6qh.png

Soooooooo, that's a framed staggered staple clapton, in a nutshell lol
24 gauge a1 kanthal frames
8 ply .5 nichrome 80 ribbon
Staggered and then claptoned with 36 gauge kanthal
4/5 around 3mm ID

I got lucky, this is reading .1ohms, I had no idea it was gonna be this low, nor was I aiming this low. Thank God for low resistance fire protection on 521 tab and rx200s. I feel safer for that reason. Still low as hell though.

Although not perfect the ribbon was cooperating with me this time around. I'll do this again this weekend with 26 kanthal cores .3 nichrome ribbon 8 ply, and probably use 36 again since the outer wire doesn't make that big of a difference being a wrap wire.

Last edited:

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
The amount of juice that this thing holds is insane and the flavor is hands down the best I have ever gotten out of a goon to date
312a2qb.png

Perfect coil, just needs to get higher cause at 100 Watts it gets plenty hot. I'll be doing a lot of variations of this in the near future :cool:

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
No, swivels bro, I hate free handing it. If a muscle twitches I'm good on swivels, if it twitches on free hand then it's bye bye perfect wrap lol

Good idea, or Double stagger it

Triple interlock alien?
Look at the wrap. 3 strands of 40g para clap'd for the decored Clapton & then stretched/alien's over a fraple core. That's what interlocking is. It's not a twisted alien, as the 3 strands of 40g are all wrapped individually (untwisted) over the original Clapton.

Very nice an tidy Tom! i like it! :cool: ..it's good when you find that fail-safe!..

An upside to that build you haven't finished is that if you didn't like the outcome you could unwrap it without damaging what you've already done.

Have you tried doing that alien build like raymo did with the alternating two dif size aliens, ive seen the build on ig a couple of times but i just cant find the time to attempt it.

What, you mean like with a 38&40g interlocking wrap? Yeah, I've done it on multiple occasions. First time doing a 38/40g but I've done plenty of 36/38g interlocks. If that's what you're referring to.
b4ee8ef1f8d468e826b14ed66f2a7639.jpg
^38/40g interlocking
Or did you mean something else? Show me a pic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread