Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Lets go back in a bit, shall we, to the creator of "Tiger coil", back to 2013. Leo S, whom Twisted Messes references in the video I linked to on Sunday, both are referring to round wire twisted with a single piece of ribbon as "Tiger Wire/Coil". Not to say that the coil you have there is not a gorgeous piece of work, but you are wrong, Sir. Here is Leo S's vid from 2013. Since he "invented" it, I say he is more of a expert on what makes a Tiger Wire/Coil then you or I.

For the record, I never called it "tiger twisted" Flat twisted with round is "tiger wire" If you Clapton ribbon and twist it with round you can call it "tiger twisted" all you want, heck, as far as I am concerned, you can call it Tony the Tiger. It is all GRRRRREEEAAAT!

Edited because I forgot a quote and it vapes nice, just not as thick and rowdy as I am used to. But it also runs at a lower power than I need for my usual coils and that lets me use my M-Class again for something. :) 60w rather than 90-100W

Forgot about that video. I rest my case ;)

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
And thank you for the compliment Tao. However the one I posted last has absolutely nothing on that little tiger twisted double helix. I am absolutely in love how that micro Clapton on top of those ribbons brought out that ridge in the fuse. I'm very content right now, relieved and relaxed, as now I'm satisfied that all the hours I spent working on this turned into a beautiful result :hubba:

Reactions: Taowulf

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Perfect uniform :hubba::hubba::hubba:
1exsh2.jpg

My little prayer is as follows :
"Thank You God above for giving me an ability, willingness, devotion, mental determination, and an extreme amount of patience to be able to create something like this. Thank for giving me two hands, eyes and brain that is required to make this and the gift of being able to share this with ecf. Thank you for the tools and materials without which I could never accomplish this. You're the best. Thank you God. Amen"

Sorry dudes but I'm like beyond content right now. Square frames didn't want to play nice yesterday. The stags were on so tight I was literally fighting the grooves. The 40 broke on me twice. The entire 40 spool dropped on the floor 3 times resulting in the kinking of the fuse wire. I lost my micro Clapton before I even stacked the ribbons. Had to make another one. It wasn't a good night. Came back today, redid the frames, reprepped everything, wrapped successfully, then coiled successfully, and hit my desired ohm of 0.12. I'm exhausted, but content, relaxed, relieved, and very happy. Finally. So yeah. Sigh :hubba::cool::hubba:

Last edited:

Taowulf

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Bend OR
I think I'm getting a little better but still no luck with aliens....smh
I was putting way too much tension on them, I am still putting a little too much, but I am getting closer.

Oh, and I finally got the magnifying lenses ordered. Not being able to see the wires I am working with has been really holding me back. I've had more than a few coils where the wrap LOOKED ok while working on it, but when I zoom in for a pic later, it has been spaced far more than I would have liked.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTechVpr

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
@jtd
Looks good JTD, how did you get the colors in there? Did you dip it in water prior to pulsing the coil....

Also how do you get the inner clapton to hold together while spinning it. Did you run wires through the stacked ribbon?
Thanks bad. First and foremost that Clapton is not easy to do. It's a 36 core and 44 wrap. 44 is extremely easy to break so you need a technique to wrap it. Second of all it's corrugated. I prep everything prior to wrapping it, and sometimes you constantly have to adjust frames or the core as you're wrapping it. Even if you prep it every half an inch like I do. As it's been said before - it's all about the prep. Prep really IS everything. The more attention you pay to the prep part the easier it'll be to wrap later on. ;)

And no bud, I didn't dip it in water. It's been sitting completely dry for several days before I even fired it up

Last edited:

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
Well the Mage turned out ok for single Claptons and regular dual coils....
Got this in today but can't fit dual low gauge coils in it just single. Bummer but it vapes nicely once I plugged the air holes I wasn't using...

Think I need to coil with higher gauge wire.
Next up on the building atty wish list a goon and the neutron atty by jaybo/wismec. The neutron looks promising at 25mm's. What you pro builders think about that?

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Justadude

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2015
Well the Mage turned out ok for single Claptons and regular dual coils....
Got this in today but can't fit dual low gauge coils in it just single. Bummer but it vapes nicely once I plugged the air holes I wasn't using...

Think I need to coil with higher gauge wire.
Next up on the building atty wish list a goon and the neutron atty by jaybo/wismec. The neutron looks promising at 25mm's. What you pro builders think about that?
The goon is great dude. It can handle all my builds and has clamp like posts so anything flat will sit super nice :thumb:
thanks Fozzy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread