Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If you're curious as to how many posts someone has, click their user name and a member card will pop up. There are currently no plans to load up the postbit with more information and will take some pretty compelling reasoning in order for us to consider it.
Post count often weighs heavily on how I might respond to someone...
Or whether or not I'll even bother to respond...

There, that's my best shot!
:)

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think it's really important to show a members location under their avatar, as it can make such a difference as to who can help them. For instance, it's almost pointless a USA member giving links to USA vendors, if a new member is in the UK.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
All valid points. You can click the avi or username, and the member card will pop up with all of that info without going to a new page. Click the X to close it, or just click outside of the card to close it. There are links on the member card if you do decide you want to look further (profile page, etc). I hope that's helpful! :)

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
All valid points. You can click the avi or username, and the member card will pop up with all of that info without going to a new page. Click the X to close it, or just click outside of the card to close it. There are links on the member card if you do decide you want to look further (profile page, etc). I hope that's helpful! :)
Oh my. You greatly... no... VASTLY underestimate how lazy I am.
:laugh:

Hey, at least it doesn't go to a new page!!
:thumb:

And it's good that the card will close if I click outside of it.
Having to hunt and peck for that X would pretty much kill me.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
Oh my. You greatly... no... VASTLY underestimate how lazy I am.
:laugh:
Oh yes, I understand, believe me. :)
However, I gotta say, Chrissie has a very valid reason.
I get this too... it's a change though, at least for now. Just a couple of extra clicks ya know. :)

capthook

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
North Carolina
+1 for location info.
If nothing else, builds a stronger community.
"Oh! You're from North Carolina too! etc etc etc"
"There is an excellent B&M shop near you in Chicago"
"Here's a link to a great price on a new rda, and they ship from California where you are so you should have it in no time"
etc etc
Clicking on every avatar? Never happen.
This change should be implemented IMO.

Post count? +1 too, but less important.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
One of the reasons XF is much faster than vBulletin is user information that used to be in the postbit (such as post counts, location, etc.) isn't queried every single time a user refreshes or goes to a new page. This, coupled with use of caching for static things like images and signatures, makes the software much more responsive overall.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I apologize for the redundancy, because I've already said it in another post but I think it applies here as well.

The location would be nice... But I think post count and join date could easily be alleviated by adding an "ECF Veteran" banner... Or SOME kind of banner for the folks around here with some longevity, high post count, and more importantly a high ratio of posts to likes. I mean, if someone has 10,000 posts, and only 50 likes... Well, you know where I'm going with that... LoL

Like yours Retired1, for example... I can see that you are a Staff Member, an Admin, a Verified Member, and a Supporting Member. Is there any way to add an "ECF Veteran" banner for those of us that have earned that distinction?

If a new member has asked a question, and it has already been answered by someone who I can immediately recognize as a Veteran, I will usually not step on those toes. But if a new member is getting a lot of misinformation from people who are not instantly recognized as veterans, I may say something. No need to look at post count or join date... ECF Veteran used to be enough for me to give me that warm fuzzy. It was an important distinction that has been lost with the new software

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
the issue I have with no join date on each post in the new member section ... I used to welcome new members when I could see they only have a few posts.

now, everybody looks the exact same and I am not about to start clicking on avatars to see who is new or not.

And while I'm commenting on the obvious reason the join date belongs up front ... the mood thing IMO is not only useless ... it comes across as quite immature for an adult themed forum.

I can already see how improved ECF would look without them all blinking and moving around like they do.

Last edited:

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
the issue I have with no join date on each post in the new member section ... I used to welcome new members when I could see they only have a few posts.

now, everybody looks the exact same and I am not about to start clicking on avatars to see who is new or not.

Hi Willy! Welcome to ECF!!!

Uhh, nevermind... You're an old dog...

Reactions: WillyZee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread