Price of liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thommi

Sep 4, 2013
RE, Italy
I may have been lucky on start.
The very first shop I found online (in Germany) turned out to have the best quality and at same time the best prices (excluding China discount stuff).
I paid 6€ for 30ml which compares to about $2.50 per 10ml.
They don´t have any fancy creations, but a good variety of basic flavors, ideal for a beginner with only very basic gear.
3 weeks later when I started DIY I knew where that shop buys the ingredients, and even though that shop doesn´t sell the ingredients separate, I easily found another shop that does.
This way I was able to create a precise match to my first shops liquids.

From there I started fine tuning such as increasing VG from the traditional 60/30/10 to 50/50 to increase the amount of vapor.
With some flavors I slightly increased the dosage of the flavoring, others I slightly reduced.
Didn´t take me long before I liked my own liquids better than the ready made ones.

Later on with better gear I got fancy myself, trying combinations of flavors like tobacco with vanilla.
I created several types of fruit yogurt, a pretty good apple pie with an overdose of raisins and my (so far) favorite milk chocolate (from Herrlan Germany) with hazelnut (from Flavourart Italy).

DIY has in fact become some kind of hobby for me, I really love trying new flavors and having created them myself gives an extra satisfaction besides the pleasure of vaping it.
I only regret I can´t spend more than 1-2 hours with mixing per month, I just can´t vape more than I already do.
But of course that´s just my opinion.

Btw.
It doesn´t really belong into the new members forum anymore, but if anyone has a good recipe for a tasty flavor mix, let me know.
As you might have discovered above, I like sweets and fruits.

Last but not least, since Google couldn´t help me on this one, could anyone give me an english lesson?
What´s the difference between flavor and flavour?

jericoriver

Please support CASAA
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Midway,Ga.
DIY is not for everyone, But I like it. I can go in my office and make a 50 ml bottle and be back before the commercial is over. I use a graduated glass beaker and can pour in the nic,pg,vg,and flavoring and other than 10 seconds in the microwave to aid the mixing. I'm done. Yes in the begining it was some trial and error, But now its fast.Not to mention costing about .08/ml.

Love DIYing my own eliquid, it takes me 1-2min to wipe out a 30mL bottle while leaving little to no mess to clean up afterwards. It does take some experimentation with different flavorings to find a ADV, but once you got it down, it'll cost you <$7 for a 100mL bottle of eliquid. While my DIY product may not be of "premium" quality, but it's definitely better than some of the crappy eliquids that's being offered by some venders. Just my :2c:

jocat54

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
Lindale, Texas
I started DIY because it is easier........when you live in the sticks.......60 miles to the closet big town, and not really knowing how fast an online store is going to ship a product it just made sense to me. Plus I like my juices better than what I bought before and can always change them to my liking.

Also much cheaper when you add in shipping when buying online.

Living in the sticks has it's advantages and disadvantages but the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages in my opinion:2cool:

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
DIY is not for everyone, But I like it. I can go in my office and make a 50 ml bottle and be back before the commercial is over. I use a graduated glass beaker and can pour in the nic,pg,vg,and flavoring and other than 10 seconds in the microwave to aid the mixing. I'm done. Yes in the begining it was some trial and error, But now its fast.Not to mention costing about .08/ml.

Same here I can mix four 30 ml bottles a lot faster than it would take to buy it in a store me.

co18

Sep 16, 2013
Philadelphia
Here here. Absolutely worth the costs financially, as they are really nothing at all in comparison to knowing we are no longer lumped in as smokers, slowly killing ourselves. Now that I don't smoke, I can kind of see why people look at smokers as.... 'dumb'. It really is a messed up thing, to virtually guarantee an early, slow, painful death. I try not to be 'that guy', but I lecture just about all of my friends who smoke on vaping. In a friendly way!

Stellaboots

Sep 25, 2013
Western MD, USA
Thommi, I agree with you. While I understand the posters who say "time is money", I don't live near a B&M store. In fact, I ordered my kit, and by the time I received it, had already researched the best prices on DIY supplies.

Waiting now on my 36mg 50/50 mix, with an equivalent 0mg 50/50 mix to use as cut, and 6 different flavors to test. This way, I know I have the nic I need, and I spent (not including the flavors) under 20$ for 250 ml of liquid. The flavors were on sale, and those 6 bottles may last a couple years. We'll see, but spending 10-15 dollars for 30ml of juice seems wasteful.

I want to spend less money supporting my nicotine habit. Like you, that was my original motivation to try vaping. All of the fun I am having is just icing on the cake:)

delebit

Sep 24, 2013
United States
Wow that's cheap guys. I'd buy online but I just hate waiting. I don't mind spending the time making my own juices, it's just waiting for shipping and not knowing when it'll come that drives me crazy. That and not being able to try flavors. The vape shops in my area generally charge $10-$12 for a 15 ml bottle. Still cheaper and healthier than smoking so it's alright for me!

Doc Diego

Jul 3, 2013
Jackson, MI, USA
There's much more than the cost of the bottle and ingredients involved in running a business. Just being open 60 hours a week, paying minimum wage is going to set you back about $500 after FICA/FUTA/SUTA etc. Add in rent, insurance, utilities and they'd be lucky to only be another $500 in. Start breaking that down on a per bottle basis, then we'll have an idea of what the profit is for a b&m.

Calculate the cost of beer. On a per bottle basis, it's mostly water with a few cents of malt and a few cents of hops, yet anyone can make it at home--often at higher quality too. Yet people still buy it ready made at a high markup. That high markup pays all the other business costs. It has to. If, and only if there's anything left after the bills are paid is there profit; the payoff for taking a risk that could also lose the owner's investment.

Nothing wrong with diy; I do it. I also homebrew beer and wine. I also buy wine, from local vineyards and beer from local craft breweries, just as I'll buy e- juice from other pros. I'm not a sucker getting scalped; I'm simply buying convenience, variety, or a new experience more often than not.

Sent from my microwave oven.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
well as a fairly new vaper, I am not ready to even think about mixing my own juice...someday maybe. I have found that I do not like simple flavors like my local Brick and Mortars sell. I would have gone back to the smokes if I had not found vendors selling wonderful complex juices I really wanted to vape. I vape between 3-5 mil of juice a day, normally 27 mil of juice a week and I like to switch flavors often during the day so I keep 6 tanks going on average.

My boutique mail order vapes cost me right at 53 cents per ML shipping included...so I am spending right around $2 a day to have super yummy, complex flavors, Teas, bakery goods, absinthe , custards, coffees, chocolates, florals and be very happy. When I smoked I spent $4.50 per day (sometimes more)on cigarettes.I am still saving over half what smokes costed me everyday. yes I do stalk portals and place my orders and wait 10-14 days for them to arrive and then steep them for another week...but getting my vapemail is like getting a birthday present every time...it makes me joyful

I admit that I am afraid of working with strong nicotine solutions. I worry about safe storage(away from my pets and grand children), I worry about my lack of math skills, I worry about space to actually do the mixing as I live in very tight quarters. these fears may decrease given time..and someday I may try DIY to get my cost down from 52 cents a ML to 12 cents a ML but for now I am happy to be saving over half what smokes were costing me and I am VERY happy to pay those magical mixers for the juice that keeps me off the smokes.

PS...the cute little glass bottles with droppers and nice labels, pretty packaging and personal little notes and extras make me feel appreciated as a customer as well:vapor:

I am a cheap person by nature as my daughters say "she will squeeze a nickle till the buffalo poops"...but good vape is like good food I have little problems paying good money for it...I hate to pay good money for just average or sub par food or vape:facepalm:

Last edited:
I am interested in diy at some point. But I am still enjoying trying out lots of flavours. I guess I will make basic fruit flavours and then splurge on fancy gourmet blends once in a while. I am vaping Liberty Flights XO caramel apple pie. It's gorgeous. I suspect there are at least four flavours in it including apple, caramel, vanilla and butter. I will leave the gourmet mixology to the enthusiasts and just do basic stuff for myself.

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2

Thommi

Sep 4, 2013
RE, Italy
I agree on the risk part, that´s why I don´t buy any concentration higher than 36mg/ml, which has the best relation between price and nic content anyway.
If you´re still afraid, you can buy the base ready made at your desired nic strength and all you have to do is add the flavoring.
Not sure what shops there are outside of Europe, but to give you an example:
http://www.ezigarette-liquid.de/de/basis-liquid/
They have PG and VG separate as well as ready mixed in 6 different strength each.
Of course buying 100ml with 6mg isn´t as cheap as buying 36mg plus 0mg and mix that, still 5€ for 100ml is much better than $5 for 10ml and there you only have to add the flavoring without handling any strong nicotine solutions.
Even math skills aren´t required, unless you want to split a 100ml bottle into several different flavors.
At a bottle size of 100 ml, % equals ml, so all you need is a syringe of 1ml, count to your desired strength of flavor and give it a good shake afterwards.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Nicotine at high concentrations is dangerous, but that is in its pure form or very highly concentrated. Keep in mind that when we talk about mg of nicotine that is mg per liter. 36mg nicotine is actually 3.6%, approximately, concentration. I use nicotine at 100mg, 10% solution. I do use nitrile gloves and make sure I have good air circulation, fan and an open window, but if you use common sense and work carefully and methodically it is not particularly dangerous. There are numerous solutions already in all of our homes that are equally as dangerous, and some even more dangerous. DIY is not for everyone, certainly, but it isn't the dangerous process it seems to get made out to be. I will say if I worked with 100mg nicotine, or higher, for extended times, like hours, I would probably look into some sort of fresh air breathing system to be safe, but for the short time, less than five minutes, the bottle of 100mg is open on my desk, it isn't much of a problem at all.

(to be read at double speed)
Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk. The end user agrees to hold the poster harmless and without liability. I am not a doctor, scientist, chemist or physicist and hold no academic degrees, nor do I play any of them on TV.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I have spoiled myself with flavors that are multi layered and complex, It would take me many tries to mix up some white rabbit, quiet morning, or lemon loves cake...each of those have at least 4 layers of flavor, Funny story a friend that does DIY for themselves decided my Quiet Morning was a simple green tea with passion fruit ...and tried 9 separate attempts with different flavorings/levels/bases...in am attempt to duplicate it as he did not want to pay for the love/magic in my bottle...he spent more on flavoring /supplies than a bottle would cost ....he found something he can vape but it is nothing like my quiet morning. He also came up with a lemon cake he can vape happily...and it is not a bad cake...but it is the difference between a mass produced pound cake with canned icing and a homemade lemon cake with homemade lemon glaze....He did make me up a nice fruit mix of dragonfuit/pineapple/raspberry/coconut creme as a gift that I do like an however, and A wonderful Earl Grey tea with just the correct amount of cream and sugar......I will gladly pay him for more of those flavors....yes he would gladly give me exact DIY levels for the fruit and teas he created for me but I would still prefer to say can you mix me up 60ML of each and hand him a $20(that I have to force him to take) so he can buy more flavors/supplies and enjoy his hobby :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread