Priority mail is NOT worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like tracking numbers. And I haven't had any bad experiences with priority.

My orders shipped this morning, and as of this evening they are tracking and are expected to arrive wednesday. Which is pretty awesome. Especially because the orders are a VV box, batteries, DC Car Toes, and some vanilla flavor concentrate.

I've only ever had one bad experience; Something was a day late-- It reported as delivered, which was weird, but then it showed up the next morning.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Priority is an odd duck... USPS is also...

How it was explained to me:

All mail from our facility goes to Charlotte hub. Items within XXX miles regardless of class are trucked PO hub to PO hub via USPS.

Items over XXX miles are contracted out, usually to ups or fedex to haul by ground. Once on a truck, they bounce between hubs and eventually make it to your PO (sometimes routed efficiently, sometimes not)..

(xxx= I can't remember the exact miles)

The difference between priortiy and first class is that priority, once deemed over the magic xxx miles away, is flown instead of driven to the local hub/PO. The best value on priority is from say Colorado and west where the delivery time is 2-3 biz days compared with 3-7 biz days for first class.

USPS also has time limits on delivering priority mail where they typically don't on first class mail so priority mail is always scanned when they deliver it.. But if they scan it late, internally they get penalized so sometimes you may see a scan that the package is delivered and you don't get it until the next day and it's typically because the driver forgot, missed it or for some other reason couldn't deliver it that day but has to scan it as delivered to not miss thier delivery time number..

Take this with a grain o' salt because it's just a summary of the parts of what I've been told by ups, usps, mail carriers and others involved..

hoog

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Meh! Be grateful y'all live in countries with decent postal services and generally honest carriers.

Methinks they are still using donkeys, here down old Mexico way. It takes our PO almost 3 weeks to get a letter from the nation's capital (just 5 hours away by road) to us up here on the Gulf coast in Tampico (about 6 hours south of the Texas border).

Sure we have express service - they just hit the donkey a bit harder!

Worldgod

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2011
Spokane
Just a quick update... I used FC mail on my most recent order. It was shipped on 5-4 and I received it today (5-6). Yea...for me FC is the way to go...ymmv. That said when I ordered Tuesday MV was processing over 300 orders and it shipped the following morning...gotta love the speed at which they work there. Thanks Hoog and Co!

PS My newest juice sample of Raspberry Lemonaide is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread