Pro Tank 2 and flaky coil performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a PT2 and noticed the same quick burnt taste, even at 3.3, which is my MVP's lowest setting. I did a search and found the reccomendation of removing a single wick. As I was getting ready to try this I decided to try flipping the little rubber cup upside down so it is still there as a washer to seal the inner tube to the head, but allows much more juice to get to the wick. I only did this 2 hours ago.... But so far so good.... And this was on an already burnt tasting head just to make sure it would seal before trying a fresh one. The flavor seems to be what it should be and the burnt taste has gone by the wayside. Give it a shot. See if it works for you as well.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk - now Free

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I just purchased a PT2 and noticed the same quick burnt taste, even at 3.3, which is my MVP's lowest setting. I did a search and found the reccomendation of removing a single wick. As I was getting ready to try this I decided to try flipping the little rubber cup upside down so it is still there as a washer to seal the inner tube to the head, but allows much more juice to get to the wick. I only did this 2 hours ago.... But so far so good.... And this was on an already burnt tasting head just to make sure it would seal before trying a fresh one. The flavor seems to be what it should be and the burnt taste has gone by the wayside. Give it a shot. See if it works for you as well.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk - now Free

I did give this a shot. Brilliant idea!!! I flipped the seal cup on a head that I had already trimmed the wicks on, and immediately noticed an improvement in flavor and a thicker vapor. No leaks, no gurgles. Thanks for that tip!:vapor:

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I agree. The flavor isn't quite what it could/should be. I've rebuilt mine using 1.5mm ekowool (the solid kind) and that helps. I don't know if I could roll a mesh wick tight enough to fit in the channel. I'd probably sleeve it in some hollow ekowool too, just to help avoid shorts. That stuff saves my bacon on a constant basis. I use it on every ss mesh or cable wick I build. Still got a hot leg every now and then on my genesis attys but it almost makes the wick-making process idiot (me) proof.

Am I the only one that is disappointed with the flavor production of the ProTanks? All the flavors seem muted to me.

I even removed a wick. Eventually, I'm going to replace it with my own coil and put a mesh wick in there. Heard is simply awesome after that.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
ENAUD if you get a chance, grab some cotton balls and rewick. I have my cotton wicks right up against the base and on some, wrapped around it and I never have issues with burning or dry hits. When I used the default heads and replaced silica (1.5, 2 and 3mm) I always received burnt flavor. Since moving to cotton, I've not looked back.

All you need to do is unroll the cotton ball and form it into a wick-like structure. I do this by twisting it tightly and then twist it through the coils. If the coils move, realign them and then trim the cotton wick. It should be snug, but not so tight that when you pull the cotton it feels like you're going to pull the coils out. Not too loose either, meaning you shouldn't be able to just push the cotton out.

Thank You, and Thank You again! Though I didn't use cotton balls, I did opt to use Peaches and Cream cotton yarn. I wrap my coils on a drill bit shank, and used Teflon tape to feed the yarn into them, then unravel the yarn into the coil and trim. Next I took one strand of the trimmed wick and split it in half and spread it out for the flavor wicks. Best performance to date is with a 2.8 ohm 32guage kanthal coil run at 3.7-3.9 V on my Lavatube. The vape taste rivals that of my Igo-l and Igo-w RBD's with this setup. It is an amazing increase in performance for a moderate investment in time well spent. When vapor production falls off it only takes a few minutes to re-wick:) Now my Kanger Protank II absolutely Rocks, and I am loving it!:vapor:

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
About a thousand A+'s for this thread, this one of the few threads I've seen on this forum where any users actually know what they're talking about. Maybe it's just that some people like a burnt taste, but I've experienced immediate burnt tastes on all my Protank heads, they simply do not wick no matter how much user input one tries to manipulate the device with. I have a nervous fidget so I am in no way to truly rebuild my heads. I've tried flipping the rubber seal, removing a wick, it all leads to leaking for my tank. However, I did, for a very long time, suspect that the wicks were too compressed up against the wall of base to promote good wicking. Haven't tried it yet though because I threw my previous heads away, they were done. If I come across a single Protank head, I may end up trying this technique out if it really does help.

A lot of very good ideas on this thread. You see a few of them being tossed around on other threads, but my reviewing style is "what works out of the box" and in that department, the Protank was absolute garbage. A true rip-off to the customer. Thank goodness someone else went through as many heads as I did getting this exact experience (well, not a good thing, but it's good that I don't feel alone!) Kanger needs to truly shape up their game and make a device that's good for juices beyond menthol and water-fruit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread