Problem with my Vamo + button help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
The Vamo uses small "tactile" switches (similar to mouse button switches). Basically it's a round metal disc inside the switch that collapses when you press it. If the switch gets pushed too hard, the little disc can get crushed and acts like what you're describing. The switch is replaceable and probably readily available, but someone will need to get in there and disassemble the board to do it.

Or, the disc might just be misplaced and stuck inside and not really damaged. Perhaps if you mess with it enough, you might release it and it might work again. Personally, I would try messing with it. Remove the battery so you don't cause the Vamo to go nuts.

dmall

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
New Orleans, La
The Vamo uses small "tactile" switches (similar to mouse button switches). Basically it's a round metal disc inside the switch that collapses when you press it. If the switch gets pushed too hard, the little disc can get crushed and acts like what you're describing. The switch is replaceable and probably readily available, but someone will need to get in there and disassemble the board to do it.

Or, the disc might just be misplaced and stuck inside and not really damaged. Perhaps if you mess with it enough, you might release it and it might work again. Personally, I would try messing with it. Remove the battery so you don't cause the Vamo to go nuts.

I have tried to fiddle with it but it won't change. I am so upset! Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to find someone with more experience to try to do it for me.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
The switch is replaceable and probably readily available,

where are they available?
"Readily available" simply means these type switches are commonly used, so you should be able to find a replacement somewhere. You'll have to hunt at electronic stores. I measure the switch at 4.56mm. Now these switches don't come in these exact sizes, so this may either be a 4.5 or 5mm switch... and I don't know which it would be.

If you're going to fix this yourself, then you should pull the board out of the Vamo (see THIS), and take it to a electronics store to match the switch. Or call around to places like Digikey, Radio Shack, or a local electronics shop and ask them questions.

This is what the Vamo board looks like, and you can see what the small square tactile switch looks like.

View attachment 200963

The other option is to buy an entire replacement board for about $21 + shipping (see THIS), or buy a new Vamo, save the old one for repair one day, or for parts. Personally, I would buy a new Vamo, then try to get the broken one repaired... but that's just me... in fact, that's the reason I can show you this photo.

dmall

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
New Orleans, La
"Readily available" simply means these type switches are commonly used, so you should be able to find a replacement somewhere. You'll have to hunt at electronic stores. I measure the switch at 4.56mm. Now these switches don't come in these exact sizes, so this may either be a 4.5 or 5mm switch... and I don't know which it would be.

If you're going to fix this yourself, then you should pull the board out of the Vamo (see THIS), and take it to a electronics store to match the switch. Or call around to places like Digikey, Radio Shack, or a local electronics shop and ask them questions.

This is what the Vamo board looks like, and you can see what the small square tactile switch looks like.

View attachment 200963

The other option is to buy an entire replacement board for about $21 + shipping (see THIS), or buy a new Vamo, save the old one for repair one day, or for parts. Personally, I would buy a new Vamo, then try to get the broken one repaired... but that's just me... in fact, that's the reason I can show you this photo.

I just bought a new vamo and will save this one for parts, then if the new one breaks I will send both to you to fix for me, cause I haven't a clue how to do this!!!:toast:

dmall

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
New Orleans, La

View attachment 200963

I just bought a new vamo and will save this one for parts, then if the new one breaks I will send both to you to fix for me, cause I haven't a clue how to do this!!!:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread