Problem with Smok AL85 Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchmanfl

Jun 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone can help, because I am exasperated with this whole thing. I had been using a pen vape (modular) so not a complete noob. However, in an effort to take serious stab and quitting smoking completely, I decided to step up to more serious equipment.

I received my kit, last week and did a youtube search regarding set up. I gathered first that most buyers received their tanks pre assembled with the o-rings already set up. This was not the case for mine. So I attempted to install the o-rings and was able to determine that the smaller ring fit snug around the coil. However, despite repeated efforts to determine what I was doing wrong, the large ring, with the teeth seems too large for anything around the top area (or the bottom for that matter. It has a great deal of slack and almost looks like it was designed for a large tank. It is likely that I simply don't know what I am doing but...)

While this is an annoyance, the real problem that I am having is that when everything has been put together, with juice inputted into the tank, the unit burns perfectly well but it takes all of nothing for entire the tank to simply separate from the base resulting in the contents of the tanks pouring out. I completely appreciate that this is a somewhat delicate apparatus, so I understand that I can't expect the tank to hold when it is pushed too hard but as is it is ridiculous. It just falls apart with the slightest of touches, which is obviously unsustainable.

Attached
IMG_20170610_1116267.jpg

I would be very grateful if someone could offer some advice.

Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: JenJen101

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I don't know this tank, but tanks come readily assembled so something is wrong here.

Tanks with unattached glass sections use the same principle to hold the glass in place; as you tighten up the caps (base and top cap) with the thread inside the coil head doing the work in most cases, the glass gets squeezed by the caps and O-rings.

That red O-ring on the base looks suspect to me... like I said, I don't know this tank but usually, I'd be expecting to stretch the O-ring on the outer section of a base... not sat limply around the coil...
Yes... I'm fairly sure that is wrong... in that position all it's doing is obstructing the juice holes.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The o-rings should go in the channels on the top and bottom tank sections, where the glass rests. Odd that they weren't installed already. Are you sure there aren't black ones in there already? The red pair might just be a replacement set.

The glass is held in place between the top and bottom sections when the tank is fully assembled. It has a flip-open top part for easy refilling, so you should only need to take the base off when you change the coil. The glass will not be held securely when you do, so in that case you'll either need to drain the tank or else be extremely careful not to disturb the glass while you have it apart.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
I am using the same kit currently and got the tank pre assembled in it. Didn't have to do any such things. But still as others have mentioned the red ring goes on the top part where the glass has to fit.
Attaching a pic with the portion highlighted in yellow.

As to what @bwh79 said....
The red kit comes with red rings installed on the the tank to get the matchy matchy thing going on.

Now if this doesn't work out for you, just try using the black o rings. The red ones could be defective.
707a8ffdc1d2165bac2fefa01f7bdf78.jpg

Last edited:

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Based on this and comparing it to @Frenchmanfl's image, I'm fairly confident that they got the "gunmetal" colored kit, and so they have the black rings already installed on the tank, and the red ones are included as the spares.
The black o rings are much smaller than the ones needed to fit the glass. I got those too with my kit. I'm not too sure about where to use them but as you can see in pic the size difference is huge... They're clearly not meant for the glass part.

Also if you look closely in the picture posted by OP you can see the size difference between the red and the black ones.
No offense intended to you. I might be wrong.
But based on the pics and based on what i have in my kit.... I think I'm right about this.
56f8da6ded57283c689260e6e0c9f949.jpg

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
You are AMAZING Cf11!! So helpful & such an informative super member of ECF!!
Well to be truthful I'm just 2 months into vaping. But i try to help whenever i can and this community has been a great source of knowledge with so many helpful peeps around 24/7.

Thank you very much for the kind words. :)

JenJen101

May 8, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Well to be truthful I'm just 2 months into vaping. But i try to help whenever i can.
Thank you very much for the kind words. :)
WHAT??? 2 months? Wow-you've learned more in the 2 months since you started, then I've been able to figure out in over 4 years! It's amazing & especially that you're able to help all of us out. The situation above w/ Frenchmanfl's tank not being assembled is very odd. Both of my Baby Beast tanks were completely assembled in the box when I bought them, except the coil being put in.

Reactions: Cf11

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
WHAT??? 2 months? Wow-you've learned more in the 2 months since you started, then I've been able to figure out in over 4 years! It's amazing & especially that you're able to help all of us out. The situation above w/ Frenchmanfl's tank not being assembled is very odd. Both of my Baby Beast tanks were completely assembled in the box when I bought them, except the coil being put in.

We all have a different pace of learning and nobody knows everything. That's why this forum is here. We all help each other. :)

Yes i was very curious as to what might have happened. The only reason i can think of for the tank not being assembled is that maybe seller opened the kit and messed with it somehow. Because it's highly unlikely though possible that the product was packaged like that in the factory.
Did you get the kit sealed with a plastic wrap? @Frenchmanfl
Or were there any signs of someone messing with it?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The black o rings are much smaller than the ones needed to fit the glass. I got those too with my kit. I'm not too sure about where to use them but as you can see in pic the size difference is huge... They're clearly not meant for the glass part.
Not those ones. Those I assume are for the drip tip? But the big, beefy ones. Like the red ones. But they're not always red. The kits come in several different colors. The red one has red o-rings, as does the silver one. The gold one has gold o-rings, the black ("gunmetal") one has black o-rings, etc. some of the new ones have clear (frosted) o-rings. I think they all come with red ones in the spares/goodie bag though. If you look real close at OP's photo, it looks like there are black shiny bits in the spots where the red o-rings are in your own photo.

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Not those ones. Those I assume are for the drip tip? But the big, beefy ones. Like the red ones. But they're not always red. The kits come in several different colors. The red one has red o-rings, as does the silver one. The gold one has gold o-rings, the black ("gunmetal") one has black o-rings, etc. some of the new ones have clear (frosted) o-rings. I think they all come with red ones in the spares/goodie bag though. If you look real close at OP's photo, it looks like there are black shiny bits in the spots where the red o-rings are in your own photo.
Oh yeh. Those are for the DT now that i think about it. Thanks :)

And yes I'm aware that different kits come with different o rings.
I don't see the spots in the pic maybe it's just light being reflected?
I zoomed in quite a bit...cant notice any spots.

But don't you find it very weird in the first place... That the tank was not assembled. What do you think could have happened aside from what i stated in the previous response?

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
But don't you find it very weird in the first place... That the tank was not assembled. What do you think could have happened aside from what i stated in the previous response?
No, I think what happened was, OP ordered a black kit, which came fully assembled with black o-rings installed, didn't realize it had black o-rings installed, didn't realize it had spare o-rings at all, saw the red spares in the goodie bag, made an assumption that they needed to be installed in the tank before use, and couldn't figure out how it should be done because there was nowhere for them to go (because the spots where they do go, were already filled by the black ones.)

This doesn't look like there's an o-ring there, to you? It does to me...
tfiveni.jpg
TjLt3CP.jpg

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I am hoping that someone can help, because I am exasperated with this whole thing. I had been using a pen vape (modular) so not a complete noob. However, in an effort to take serious stab and quitting smoking completely, I decided to step up to more serious equipment.
Welcome and glad you joined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread