Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Others have asked me to restart ProChat with a no politics rule. If others feel the same way, I'm fine with shutting this down and people can go over to the Saloon.

What say you folks out there?
Mia, and now back for what?

To talk about what is already discussed in other threads?

If you feel you need to shield yourself? I understand... Forum On RB, Forum On.

Jim

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Many of us are either on the P3 or Radius Threads and sometimes it's hard to keep up with conversations going in both places.

A couple people suggested we need a place to come and chat that is not Provari device specific. Our very own Provari Fans and Friends Saloon. So, I asked the Mother Ship and they said "go for it and have fun!"

But, there are some very simple Ground Rules:

1. Conversations can be about anything you'd like to discuss. Want to tell us about a great dinner you just made? Go for it. Need prayers for someone near and dear to you, let us know. Want to know the best place to get a flavor of vape juice, by all means ask away.
  2. Conversations which disparage Provape or Provari models will not be tolerated. This thread and the forum it is hosted on, is in the Suppliers house, paid for by Provape. Be respectful and we'll all get along. Show disrespect and expect Provape to show you the door.

Now, let's have fun!
My, how the times have changed...

Reactions: ENAUD

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
We're now 250 posts from hitting the 15K limit for a thread.
For the record...

The 15K limit was on the old software. We no longer have a thread length restraint in this software.

As for political conversation, any heavy political debates/discussions should be in the Outside forum anyway, certainly not in a vendor forum (light political discussion in the general forum is fine, provided it remains on topic).

The situation for this thread outside of that is up to Provape, as it's their forum.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Others have asked me to restart ProChat with a no politics rule. If others feel the same way, I'm fine with shutting this down and people can go over to the Saloon.

What say you folks out there?
There's plenty of room for both, it's all good.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I'd enjoy seeing this thread return to being something more than repeated posts of candidate bashing. That's what the Outside forum is for. I found it welcoming, valuable and friendly and hope it is reborn in that spirit.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
There's plenty of room for both, it's all good.
I'll say this, my main hang out for other than specific ProVari models is the Saloon. That said, I do watch this thread as I am interested in what non-Saloon ProVarinati people have to say and make comments here and there. I get what may put some people off about the Saloon and I get the loyalty to the Saloon as I am.
:2c:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
This is a serious question. Does the thread starter "own" the thread, and able to set the rules for what is and what is not is acceptable. I'm really not trying to stir the pot. I just want to know. Thx
That is an interesting question, one I have asked myself in the past.

A thread is a conversation, started by the original poster. The original poster can ask the mods to close that thread, other boards have settings where the OP and staff, and Mods can close a thread, for many reasons, like severe derailment of a thread, rule violations, thread necromancing, etc. Can one person own a conversation? They can definitely set some acceptable terms and conditions for which they wish to see adhered to in their discussion, that seems right and just.

Since this sub forum is a paid domain, it could be argued that ProVape owns the thread. It's interesting to me to ponder such things.

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
This is a serious question. Does the thread starter "own" the thread, and able to set the rules for what is and what is not is acceptable. I'm really not trying to stir the pot. I just want to know. Thx
Yes, to a certain degree. In this case, it's between the OP and Provape since it's their forum. Otherwise, it's taken on a case-by-case basis normally, if there aren't severe conditions that should result in a thread close or removal.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
ddd26d727a992f5d87968d8a08e01a6c.jpg

Sent via iPhone

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
My, how the times have changed...

Indeed they have Jim. When I created this thread, we weren't in the throes of a highly contentious election. We were cluttering up Provape specific product threads. So, I opened this as a place where we could discuss topics of interest without derailing specific product threads. But I never imagined this thread would devolve to political bashing of one party vs another party's candidate.

If most folks would rather migrate over to the Saloon, that's fine. Shame to see this thread which so many of us have enjoyed for a long time go away, but given the number of PM's I've received saying they are tired of the bashing, I have asked for the thread to be shut down.

And yes, I've been MIA. I explained a few weeks ago that the bashing was upsetting me. It's the only reason I've removed myself from a thread I started and have loved being in.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
I think there is room for both the chat and saloon threads, and I hope they can both stay. As a newbie, I thought this was a good thread to dip my toes in while I learned more about the Provari and why everyone liked them so much. I also like that this is a sticky and hope it stays on top in the future.

The saloon is also fun, but does get a little weird for me. I wouldn't want to change it, I can always scroll past the stuff I don't want to see. The saloon seems to fit the types of things you will see in that thread, much like you will see different stuff in a bar than you will find at the ice cream social.

The political stuff is going to be around as we get closer to the US elections, but I think it should taper down afterwards. Vaping itself is political too, so I think we will always have a little bit of politics, and when you feel passionate about one side or the other, it can be uncomfortable if you disagree with a post. Sometimes what reads to me as "gallows humour" will read to another person as a personal attack, and someone else will think it words of wisdom and truth. I don't like getting caught in the middle as an outside reader, so I just scroll on down to find something else to read or talk about. 99% of the time you guys make me laugh and I look forward to the new posts, 1% of the time, I'm glad I don't have a webcam recording my reactions. :rolleyes:

If you wanted to make any changes to either thread, maybe just asking for a voluntary PG rating on the Chat, and allowing an R rating on the saloon would be enough. While I haven't felt the need to use it here, I like that ECF gives us the option to ignore users, threads, and even forums. :2c:

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013

I don't see any pot stirring in your question!
It's a good question!

The original poster sure can set some rules, but there are a few people here who live for the act of derailing threads, and being rude to others simply for the sake of being rude.

With a "my way or the highway" mentality, and words/actions that reveal a clear inferiority complex, aka "Keyboard Cowboy", they do what they can to be the bullies in town.
They've even managed to run some really decent folks out of town.

But not me. I'm not afraid of them, or their friends' neck tattoos, or any of their harmless words on a screen.
Ya see, bullies count on getting their way, by being the loudest and the meanest. And when others don't cooperate with their terms, they get all flustered and threaten people with physical violence, or team up to derail threads, like children.

Their response to this post alone will prove my point...unless they choose to remain silent, in an attempt to discredit me.

Either way, I don't care about folks like them.
It's the regular folk like RyBryLawDudeGuy that I care about.

He's the OP here, and regardless of what rules were originally set forth, he reserves the right to amend those rules.

The mods are here to keep the peace, and will step in when necessary, but for the most part, it's up to us civilized folks to agree to keep the peace ourselves.

Can the OP set rules/guidelines? Yes.

Do people always follow them? No.

Is there anything that can be done to stop them? Sure, but it usually involves simply closing the thread. The mods have too many threads to monitor, to do much clean up work inside each thread.
Sometimes a chain of argumentative posts will get deleted, as may happen to this post.
Other times the damage is too great, and the thread is locked/closed. And it will remain on the forum, frozen in time, as a testament to the communication break downs that occur, or the bullying that goes unchecked.

So I think that sums up my answer to your question.
It's like the Wild West.

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Indeed they have Jim. When I created this thread, we weren't in the throes of a highly contentious election. We were cluttering up Provape specific product threads. So, I opened this as a place where we could discuss topics of interest without derailing specific product threads. But I never imagined this thread would devolve to political bashing of one party vs another party's candidate.

If most folks would rather migrate over to the Saloon, that's fine. Shame to see this thread which so many of us have enjoyed for a long time go away, but given the number of PM's I've received saying they are tired of the bashing, I have asked for the thread to be shut down.

And yes, I've been MIA. I explained a few weeks ago that the bashing was upsetting me. It's the only reason I've removed myself from a thread I started and have loved being in.
I still don't get you RB...

If'n you don't like the thread? Goodbye.

But what right have you to close it down?

Jim

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Sorry you feel that way. But this thread is a gonner. Gonner for sure.

I knew it would happen.
Just shows what quiting looks like when the going gets tough...

Not something that I know in my life.

Jim

I'm with you Jim. We are the deplorable' s after all.

Another taking a knee.

Just be clear about politics RB. It includes various subjects.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Same right I had in closing the FAQ thread.

Don't listen to the haters, @rbrylawski RyBryLawDudeGuy.

It's your thread, regardless of what anyone says.

Close it down already!

Haters? Give me a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread