Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Carto one
2.6 ohm filled
Punched, 2 holes, tanked
juice-Caramel Coconut (approx. 70/30 pg/vg home made) I am using my ADV since a carto is useless to me if it can't handle my main vape

I started this carto last night on my ProV mini. After filling the carto and tank, priming it, I left it alone to saturate for about 15 minutes. Started vaping at 4.2v and got a burnt taste after a few hits. Turned the volts down to 4.0v and seems to taste better so far. The burnt taste didn't remain, so that's a plus. I've run close to 5ml through it so far. Very good vapor, but not quite as warm a vape as I prefer at 4.0v (6w). When I turn it up, the burnt taste returns. Next one I'll start at a lower setting, break it in for a few hours, and then try turning it up a bit.

I should clarify that I can be hard on cartos or tank systems, and I can burn the best of them! I would normally start a 2.5ish ohm Fusion at around 4.5v. I take long, hard double drags and this is where I run into a burnt taste on a lot of others I have tried. It's also the reason I've yet to find a bottom coil (as I suspect this is) that can keep up with my vaping style.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
My mutual is feeling too. Only thing is it's dark and I don't know what it's feeling.

Okay speaking of the test. That's after all what this thread is about. I tanked my first one and beings I picked up a couple Ikon batteries I put it on one to start this shindig at a low temp. My first puff was nasty. Don't know what the taste was but not good. After that it started tasting and working fine. I was amazed at the amout of vapor down that low. I'm usually up around 5 volts. I'm curious though. After removing the tip to put a drip tip on it I saw a plastic ring that covered the top of thefiller. I wonder if that helps to keep the juice in the filler.

FranC

Long time vaper.
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Oct 1, 2010
    New Hampshire
    My mutual is feeling too. Only thing is it's dark and I don't know what it's feeling.

Okay speaking of the test. That's after all what this thread is about. I tanked my first one and beings I picked up a couple Ikon batteries I put it on one to start this shindig at a low temp. My first puff was nasty. Don't know what the taste was but not good. After that it started tasting and working fine. I was amazed at the amout of vapor down that low. I'm usually up around 5 volts. I'm curious though. After removing the tip to put a drip tip on it I saw a plastic ring that covered the top of thefiller. I wonder if that helps to keep the juice in the filler.

I always remove the plastic rings.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 17, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes J5, that little ring is to keep the juice from coming up into the drip tip and into your mouth. Also keeps the juice from overflowing if you use the condom fill method. I took mine out since I top fill.

Settled in at 3.9v and this thing is rocking now! Might have just needed a little break in, but I'm really pleasantly surprised at the amount of flavor and vapor I'm getting at this setting :) No more burnt funky taste.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2010
    Wash
    Yes J5, that little ring is to keep the juice from coming up into the drip tip and into your mouth. Also keeps the juice from overflowing if you use the condom fill method. I took mine out since I top fill.

Settled in at 3.9v and this thing is rocking now! Might have just needed a little break in, but I'm really pleasantly surprised at the amount of flavor and vapor I'm getting at this setting :) No more burnt funky taste.
    I think I'm going to rob one of those rings and stick it into a dual coil Nitro because I can't take a puff without getting juice in my mouth because the coils make the filler so high. I just hope it's not too hot.
    You are right though about this Plat being a vapor machine. It's surprising to me that the flavor and vapor is this good at 3.7ish volts.

Last edited:

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 17, 2010
    South Carolina
    Me too J5. And really surprised that the burnt taste didn't remain! Usually once you get that, the carto is ruined, but it completely disappeared once I turned the voltage down. I did punch it back up to 4.0 last night, got the funky taste again, so 3.9 it stays.

Now to see how long this one lasts before it needs changing. I usually get around a week, or 20-25ml of this particular juice through a Fusion before needing a fresh one. My other main vape (cinnamon roll) I get about twice the mileage from on a Fusion.

When this first Plat gives up the ghost, I'll test #2 with the cinnamon roll.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Hi Isaac and IKV'ers.

Welp, here we go.

Some initial impressions of the Plats, by KD and DPL.

Carto #1 (KD)- filled with NLV Gold (65/35 PG/VG) (on Friday 7/25/14 3:45 pm PST).

I left the food grade grommet in place.

Dripped 35 drops in the bottom condom (and I thought “cool on the built in b plug”), but the b plug caused too much pressure and the liquid spurted out onto my vapor towel , so there was no accuracy in measuring drops.

At this point, I changed over to the top condom cap (no plug insert).

I then refilled 7 drops, 3 more times (an additional 21 drops), but as I said, this is not accurate measuring by any means.

So, for me, the built in b plug is a wash (right now).
    On second thought, lose the b plug. It serves little purpose. Or… use the standard removable ones.

The grommet at the top is adorbs and might be effective for the reduction of liquid in mouth trauma, but right now in the filling stage is proving to be a bit less than cute. I rely on the visual of the batting in terms of a good first fill, and of course this extra plug is obscuring my view. So I'm removing it.

And see? Lookie there. Needs more liquid!

2, no... 3, no... FOUR more rounds of 7 drops. (mamma mia, this holds HOW MUCH??) Okie doke. I think she's damm full now.

Food grade grommet going back in.
    First vapes (3-5) set on a Provi at 3.7v. Then upped to 3.9v., then 4.0v.
    I’ve been vaping this since noon - 2:25 had to top off (7 drops). Topped off again at 3:30pm (5 drops).

Carto #2 - filled with NLV Backston Tobacco (65/35 PG/VG). 12:05pm 7-26-14

I'm using the same procedure, but bottom filling into the top condom cap so as not to have spillage again.
    OMG. 60 drops to fill it completely? WOAH!! That equals 2 full (top) capfuls! The absorption of this batting is nothing short of tremendous.

Started vaping it at 3:00pm at 3.7v. Straight up to 3.9v after 2 hits. Another couple of hits and raised the voltage to 4.0v.

Carto #3 - IKV RY4 (PG version) 2:20pm 7/26/14
    50 drops!
    Wow. I mean WOW. This is actually better tasting than in a carto tank. :shock:

At this point, I have zero intention of punching any of these. I would like to test them, as Isaac said, in a more “closed environment” to put them thru their paces. (Yes, Studlet…. NAKED)

The vape and vapor production is excellent! (right from the very first hit)

“Vee like-a dee vapor!!!” (KD) (I can’t believe she wrote this!!!) (DPL)

Kartos = Konsistency! IKV kartos = GOODNESS!

Thank you again, Isaac. It’s an honour to be your testers.

DPL Carto & Juices (comments included with Kat’s)
    Carto #1 (DPL): NLV Apple, run 3.7-4.0
    Carto #2 (DPL: MFS Mr Vigor (Dr Pepper), run 3.7-4.0
    Carto #3 (DPL): NLV Tappulles, run 3.7-4.0
    Carto #4 (DPL): “DPL” juice, run 3.7-4.0
    Carto #5 (DPL): MFS Lemon, run 3.7-4.0

General comments, in addition to mine that were included with Kat’s:

All of the cartos performed excellent with all of the juices (which contain a decent variety of PG/VG ratios, from 65/35 through 95/05). Kat and I agree 100% on both the .... plugs and the grommets. I quickly removed my grommets for easier top-filling and visibility.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the performance, and we’ll update our thoughts accordingly as we progress. At this juncture, I like them better than all previously used cartos, even the old Go Karts, which were my absolute favorite to use “nekid”.

This has been a collaborative effort spanning 2,843 miles, thanks to the wonders of Google Docs and two brains of questionable intelligence/maturity.

LOL! (kd)

Random thoughts sung to the tune of the old SNL skit, “Makin’ copies.”
    “Swappin’ cartos.”
    “Fillin’ batting.”
    “Pickin’ drip tips.”
    “Vapin’ old school.” (with the skinny little carto sticking up from the Provari)

And finally….
    They’re coming to take us away, ha-ha, hee-hee, ho-ho.

I dunno about you, but I’m GONE!!!! (< that was HER, not me)

Stop lying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (guess who THIS is!) :D

LOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Seeyas!

Last edited:

loft

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    CT
    I'm still vaping on the first carto I filled to test out longevity for it. It's one that is filled with ry4 and oddly enough, it's performing perfect at 4.3v (7w). I popped on the other one filled with ry4 and got a nasty chemical burning taste so that one will be retested on my Provari since my ego twist is dead (open circuit) once I can find the provari. After a couple days the absorption rate of the filler is still... well... freaking awesome!!! More details to follow.

loft

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    CT
    Who could blame him!!!!

"They are OFF the list!!"
    Haha doubtful. I thought I was off the list as he hadn't asked me to test anything for a while and then he sent me a text and was like "you still remember how to use cartos?" I laughed and had no idea what he was getting at. But this has been my ADV with his ry4 and I've been smoking a lot less with it. 4 analogs since I started testing and prior to that I was between 3-6 analogs per day. I actually get a nic buzz with this, too... Where I wasn't at all with my genny. Weird.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 17, 2010
    South Carolina
    Awesome kollaboration, KD and DP! Lots of great info in a fun to read format :)

Loft, when all else fails, go back to the beginning! Great to hear that these cartos are helping you smoke less!! Today is 3 weeks smoke free for me...and that's the longest I've EVER been smoke free since I was 14 years old :banana:

8 ml through this first Plat and filling my tank again right now. Like everyone else, I'm extremely impressed with this batting. This juice is notorious for gunking up the coils as it is quite sweet with the caramel, coconut, white chocolate, and evaporated milk. So far still hanging in there with excellent flavor and vapor!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 1, 2010
    Wash
    I thought you did fine testing. He wants different input. Otherwise he would of sent them all to Loft and had him test them all.

When I fill I leave the bottom cover on, squirt juice in the top until it is overfull. Squeeze the bottle and stick it back in. Let off on the bottle and as it expands it siphons off the excess. On tanks. I put 25 to 30 in it. Fill the tank as full as I can then shove the top down. It forces the excess juice into the carto and I'm ready to go.

loft

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    CT
    I thought you did fine testing. He wants different input. Otherwise he would of sent them all to Loft and had him test them all.

When I fill I leave the bottom cover on, squirt juice in the top until it is overfull. Squeeze the bottle and stick it back in. Let off on the bottle and as it expands it siphons off the excess. On tanks. I put 25 to 30 in it. Fill the tank as full as I can then shove the top down. It forces the excess juice into the carto and I'm ready to go.
    Hey now don't sign me up for that, lol. Better to have multiple angles of input since different people use them differently. It's all good! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread