Propylene Glycol dehydration: legend or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
In another thread I was attacked for refusing to accept usefulness of drinking a lot of water. So, I googled for a while and decided to start a new thread rather than post a reply in non-related (and quite personal) thread.

My googling did not bring any mentions on dehydration effects of PG (with exceptions of vaping forums, for sure). For example in this study dehydration was not mentioned at all:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp189-c2.pdf

But for sure, PG can have irritating effect:
“However, limited human experience indicates that inhalation of propylene glycol mists could be irritating to some individuals.[26]”
Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

E-liquid suppliers often write on their sites:
“The most common noted side effect of inhalation of e-liquid containing propylene glycol is a dry mouth, sore throat, and increased thirst. These symptoms usually last just a few days to a week as the body gets used to the propylene glycol. These symptoms can be alleviated by drinking more water and liquids then usual for the first few weeks of using your e-cigarette.”
The safety of propylene glycol (PG) when inhaled through an electronic cigarette. Studies on the effect of the inhalation of propylene glycol through a personal vaporizer.

So, where are roots of belief in dehydration?
Was it mixed up with irritation – which I feel myself, especially in the mornings?

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Do a Google search for this...
propylene glycol hygroscopic humectant

The idea is that it pulls water from your body.
How much, or how relevant that is, I am not sure.

But it does.

If you mean that exhaled humectant (PG) keeps additional water with it, than daily water loss due to it should be not more than a few milliliters. Not 8 caps.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If you mean that exhaled humectant (PG) keeps additional water with it, than daily water loss due to it should be not more than a few milliliters. Not 8 caps.
I know, right?

It is something that has puzzled me.
But dehydration seems to be common among vapers.

So, question mark?

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
I never fell into drink tons of water thing. Properly hydrated typically 8 glasses of water a day.

In case you haven't seen this.. there is overhydration which is just as bad and dehydration.

Opps forgot link.

Overhydration | Definition & Patient Education

over hydration, while bad, is not very easy to accomplish. On a side note to that.....if you do accomplish it, you will feel extremely intoxicated.....right before you die

Cariessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Indiana, United States
I can only share my experience.

I made a lot of changes a few years ago to lose weight. One of those was going from drinking no water at all, only sodas and coffee and the occasional glass of juice or milk to 64 oz of water a day. I got away from the water after I reached my goal weight but I'm trying to get back to it now after noticing the effects of pg on my body.

I can tell you the similarities I felt back before I made that change and what I feel now with 40/60 pg.

* I'm always carrying something to drink. Mostly water, but yeah, always something.

* Minor dehydration will make your brain tell you you're hungry. I've noticed myself heading to the kitchen for snacks more often lately, even when I know I can't be hungry my body is craving something. It thinks it's food, but it needs water.

* The foods I eat. I used to crave anything with lettuce on it (because of the high water content) and that's happening again.

* Sweets. The same cravings I used to get for sugary foods have returned. I don't mean cake and cookies, I mean mixing spoonfuls of powdered sugar with butter (homemade icing) and peanut butter (reeses filling).

* Digestion... I'll not go into detail here but bathroom habits are drifting back toward my 'soda-only' days.

* Dry, aged looking skin. "Age spots" and sun spots that had all but disappeared are returning. My skin is taking on a sallow look where a few months ago it had a healthier look to it. It's also dry again and I find myself using a lot more lotion like I used to before my weight loss.

* My fingernails, which would never grow before my weight loss, began to grow healthy and strong. In the last month they've become brittle and started to split again. My cuticles are splitting again too, and damn it hurts.

This is just my personal experience, but I've come to the conclusion that for me since I don't plan to give up vaping I'm going to have to go back to my 64oz of water a day.

64oz may seem like a lot but it really isn't. If you consider one of the medium sized bottles of water (they kind you get in most 24 packs) is 16.9oz, its only 4 of those a day. Hell I can drink a whole one without taking the bottle from my lips when I first wake up in the morning.

If you don't believe pg will dehydrate you, then don't do it because of the pg. Just do it for your own health :) Take a one week water challenge and make yourself do it for a week. I think you'll be amazed at the differences in your body after a few days (especially if you are like I was and NEVER drink water)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Localized dehydration in the mouth, throat, lungs, and sinuses, I'm on board with. Full blown dehydration, not so much.

Many industries use a dry (or drier) warm gas to dry out a "wet" system. You do the same thing when you vape (or breathe, really). I believe that you dry out more when you vape (as opposed to just breathing) because you're vaping a warm, relatively dry substance that will carry out more moisture than just plain air.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
In another thread I was attacked for refusing to accept usefulness of drinking a lot of water. So, I googled for a while and decided to start a new thread rather than post a reply in non-related (and quite personal) thread.

I'm not sure I would call this an Attack....

I have been a Member here a Long Time. And I have to Say, that your Post was about the 1st to Advocate Drinking a Lot of Water is Not a Good Thing.

You do Understand that the Constituents of an e-Liquid will Dehydrate someone who takes in a "Normal" amount of Water per Day?

And that the Average Person does Not Even Take in a "Normal" amount of H2O?

More of a Commentary as to what you Called an "Urban Legend".

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
The other place, that I think, may have led to the PG causes total body dehydration "myth." Metabolism of PG can cause muscle cramps. Folks think muscle cramps because I'm dehydrated (because that's a common cause), not muscle cramps because I have a build up of lactic acid.

On another note, I am moving towards max/100% VG juice. My mouth and throat dry out something awful. I can't find anything that is missing in the juice I have that is 100% VG other than affordability.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There's a difference between dry mouth and dehydration. You can get dry mouth from all kinds of things, including medications, but that doesn't mean you're dehydrated. PG may cause dry mouth and throat in some people, but I'm hesitant to say it causes dehydration. In America especially, most people are dehydrated, because they drink sodas all the time and don't drink nearly as much water as they need. Too much soda can be dehydrating (it feels so weird to say soda, I'm used to calling it pop!), but if you're slightly dehydrated all the time you may think that it's normal. Then you start vaping PG, get dry mouth, and drink more water. You may feel better, but it wasn't the PG causing the dehydration in the first place.

Also, do not worry about overhydration! It is extremely rare, and unless you use some ridiculous amounts of drugs or your kidneys are shutting down, it will not happen to you. So drink all the water you need, vape and be happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread