Status
Not open for further replies.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Honestly the protank is one that you will either love or hate. A rare few switch sides after learning a few tricks.
A simple Carto tank like the Boge F-16 can give excellent performance once you get comfortable with it. Cartomizers will need to be replaced, like heads in the protank.

Have you tried the Evod heads?
Now that you have the leaking resolved, can you boost the power to increase vapor production?

Honestly my protank is an occasional use unit. one of my favorite units is the T3-mini with a 2.0ohm coil on my eVic. for a Bcc it gives a great warm vape.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
sooo what..my best choice is to trash it and find something else? what is a good tank to get what im lookin for then? what do you use?

Most people feel that using a dripping atomizer produces the best flavor, throat hit and vapor. However, manual dripping is a tedious process and purchasing a bottom feeder PV is expensive. Vision recently introduced the Aurora BFT which is basically a kit that turns any tube PV into a bottom feeder and is considerably less expensive than a bottom feeder.

My favorite juices have subtle flavors that start dying markedly using any more power than 3.9 volts with a standard resistance 2.5 oHm head (6 watts). My Aurora paired with the included dripping atty produces fabulous taste plus nice clouds of vapor at that low power using 70PG/30VG juice and respectable clouds using 90PG/!0VG juice.

The Aurora doesn't auto-feed like a clearo but is very easy for a beginner to use. You just tilt your PV down, squeeze the Aurora bottle, right your PV and let go of the bottle. It feeds perfectly every time with no flooding. When the taste/vapor drop off and the atty doesn't sound crackly repeat feeding.

Todd normally reviews advanced gear and he was quite taken with the Aurora. I agree with all of the review except the heads that are included to use with a separate tube aren't working at all well for me. Truthfully, I haven't been the slightest bit motivated to troubleshoot or rebuild them because the included dripping atty is performing so exceptionally well—similar to a Cisco spec atty.

I posted pictures of the Aurora bits and bobs in this thread. GotVapes just got some in a couple of days age, NEW Aurora BFT- Bottom Fed Tank Top Atomizer Kits. You get a 5% discount if you sign up for their email list.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Basic maintenance can most times help.

Every other refill rinse the head in warm running tap water until exposed wicks are clear, and run water down the center tube of the head, dab off to dry it and set it out to dry over night, install a new head to be in service, after 2 refills, clean the second head like the first, install the first head into service. This lengthens the life of both heads as both are not being constantly used. Thicker VG and darker liquids, every refill do this.

Every week, rinse out the heads like above, soak them in vodka, everclear or other high content pure grain alcohol about 20 minutes, the PGA will being a solvent, break up goo and gunk in the wicks at the coil, then rinse out the heads, and dry burn off the rest of the gunk, goo, and carbon on the coils, rinse the head in warm water again let them set out to dry overnight.

A simple, yet effective trick, take a pin, toothpick, paperclip, and fluff up the exposed wick material of the head. This lets the wick soak up liquid better, allowing better juice flow to the coil, as well as it covers up any gaps in the wick channel to help prevent liquid flooding the coil chamber. hth

marilyn

May 6, 2013
United States
Honestly the protank is one that you will either love or hate. A rare few switch sides after learning a few tricks.
A simple Carto tank like the Boge F-16 can give excellent performance once you get comfortable with it. Cartomizers will need to be replaced, like heads in the protank.

Have you tried the Evod heads?
Now that you have the leaking resolved, can you boost the power to increase vapor production

I have an evod. Ive been using my evod since the protank starting giving me trouble and yes i love it! I just want a good tank for my 1300 spinner cuz the evod looks a lil funny on such a big battery. and im currently waiting on my mvp 2 in the mail and need something reliable to use with it.

As far as boosting power to increase vapor yes iv tried that and just get a burnt peppery taste

BobC

Reformed Squonker
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Downtown Charleston, SC
I find rebuilding the coils work so much better then the ones that come in the heads.

save the original flavor wicks, recoil the head (30 or 28 awg, 8-10 wraps, tight, touching coils) for better performance, use cotton instead of silica as it is so easy to thread it into the coil after building it. Replace flavor wicks and close it up. Don't forget to test the new coil for shorts (don't let the coil touch the base).

And yes, clean the head by boiling it every couple of tanks.

This works great for me, and I get plumes of vapor & great flavor and no leakage.

JerseyB.

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
CA USA
I've had it happen on mine once until I realized that almost everytime I pull out the replaceable coil head, the little silicone or rubber (not sure) ring is pulled down and I didn't notice. COILHEAD.jpg That was the only time I had leaking issues. I don't know if that is what happens with yours, but I hope you get it figured out!

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I hope that is why my KPTII just started leaking on my MVP. I had a head go bad and start to leak. I replaced it with a evod short coil and it was fine for a day or two. Then it leaked again. I tightened it down better and it was ok for a few hours and now its leaking again into the battery connection and gurgling. I tried flipping the wick gasket over too and it only helped for a few minutes. I made sire to clean out the connections each time i tried a "fix". The coil that came with it worked fine for a very long time and i seldom ran it over 4 volts and did not chain vape ever.

The only other thing i can think of is, ive been using some DIY juice from a friend that is very high VG grape and pineapple. Im not sure how that would have caused the problem if it did. I used the same juice in a Jomo mini pro tank clone and its fine besides having a tight draw.....Maybe i just need to take it all apart and make sure the tank itself is sealing too. I had a carto tank flood just from the tank filler screw drawing in air.

None of my other tanks are having this problem. Both the T3S and iClear30 are doing great but the T3S is still very new. Ive used the i30 a lot and only had a problem one time when the coil was too loose after replacing it. Its worked fine ever since i snugged it down a bit more.

I may just switch to the T3S if it keeps performing this well without any fiddling. Its working awesome so far.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
sooo what..my best choice is to trash it and find something else? what is a good tank to get what im lookin for then? what do you use?
If the vapor production off a brand new coil isn't meeting your needs then maybe, maybe it's time to change. First thing, what juice are you using? I go with a 60% VG / 40% PG mix personally since I've found that is the best trade off between vapor and flavor. After I go through a tank of juice, I toss the head into a jar of distilled water. At the end of the week, I pull out the heads and soak them in alcohol overnight, then another overnight bath in distilled water, then put them back in service.

Chez

Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Dallas, TX
I have 2 Protanks, a Protank 2, a DBox Puritank (very similar, uses the same heads) and honestly my wife's T3S gave better vapor.

Then I learned how to build my own coils and rebuilt my tanks with microcoils and cotton wick (plenty of info on here and YouTube) and am now getting clouds of the most flavorful vapor I've experienced. As good as the vapor I got from a sub-ohm rig I tried recently!

Edited to add - also a lot cheaper than burning through the Kanger heads at $1.50-$2 a pop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Chez

Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Dallas, TX
Chez: 100% agree with you!, I mean I like my Protank 2 a lot, but in all honesty, my Kanger: Evod's, T3S, T3S mini, M3T, and ARO all give better vapes! Plus ARO is much cheaper, and it has a pyrex tank. from Discountvapers.com View attachment 249640

I build my own coils on RBA's now, but I still consistently use all my tanks.

Try the microcoil in the protank.. You may be pleasantly surprised!

I find my Protank doesn't hold enough juice for me (the puritank is a little better in this regard) and I like Pyrex, so that rules out the t3s etc for me..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Incubusfc

Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Wa
I noticed this as well. It would happen when I would put in some angel tears w grape from rawr vapor. I think they would seep through and get onto the battery post. I changed out the head and the juice and haven't had a problem yet. I'm going to take the old one and rebuild with a micro coil since.

I've cleaned many things out (drip atty's, tanks, carto's etc) in an ultrasonic cleaner and that works REALLY well. Just throw them in w some distilled water + then dry + dry fire + they're good to go! I don't like messing w chemicals. I think this is the next best thing.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
I noticed this as well. It would happen when I would put in some angel tears w grape from rawr vapor. I think they would seep through and get onto the battery post. I changed out the head and the juice and haven't had a problem yet. I'm going to take the old one and rebuild with a micro coil since.

I've cleaned many things out (drip atty's, tanks, carto's etc) in an ultrasonic cleaner and that works REALLY well. Just throw them in w some distilled water + then dry + dry fire + they're good to go! I don't like messing w chemicals. I think this is the next best thing.

How long are you leaving the coils in for? I've been thinking about picking one up for steeping anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread