Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
"readyxwick" seems to kiln the ceramic correctly. I find it difficult to work with, it is rather stiff, it is slow wick so I have used a small amount of cotton or rayon to the ends on my Taifun, Squape and over the top of my ProTank.

RBA Supplies LLC

Hey CMD, how are ya. Yep, I'd agree the RxW treatment is the ultimate. It thoroughly vacates (closes up) the interfiber spaces. Eliminating virtually all of the refractory tastes imbued during kilning. There is still some there. You'll detect it during break-in for a few ml and on occasion when you apply higher power. The cleaned ceramic from SnG does carry with it more of a residual of the refractory taste. However, the fiber spaces seem to remain more open with the cleaned product and so it's more immediately conducive to flavor. Treated ceramic takes a bit longer. The break-in period more pronounced. Depends on the juice and your vaping style. However, both will give you as good or better flavor results as the best cotton with far and away better wick lifespan to wash than Eko or silica could ever dream. That is, it takes far longer to reach its saturation point. Cotton fairing the worst there but right up there with Nextel on maintaining flavor delivery or accuracy.

Just my take after more than a thousand Kanger builds so far with every wind and wick I could get proper fit with. On that subject, it takes seconds to thread XC-132 (slim, 1/16" o.d. roughly) into anything from 1/16" to .07" (#50 wire gauge, or 1.778mm). The last being the easiest and probably most productive from 2.0-2.2Ω. I've tested absolute beginners that never saw a coil and watched them do it in seconds after one demonstration.

But I will agree it's stiff. The rigidity actually helps...so that it it doesn't fold over like a wet noodle. Pretty much why silica and Eko FAIL. Too loose a fit you get hot high turns. Nice hot vape you get then. What some consider production. But it's one that's diffusing the vapor (already made), not vaporizing juice.

Now to each his own. Some people like a scorching cup of coffee. Can't say that would be one that most would savor.

In my estimation it's that wet vapor that yields flavor not the same juice recycled through diffusion. The greater the wet vapor as a ratio of the two, the better the vapor result in my opinion. After all how much flavor do you get out of a scalding bowl of soup, huh? Ahaaa…but the vapor sure smells great.

At the end of the day you want an efficient coil and wick that closely complement each other in fit. This ensures the most vaporization for energy conducted. No sagging of wick ends. No incomplete contact of coil surfaces anywhere. That's what ensures the most uniform vapor, flavor and reliability.

On that score ceramic wins hands down.

Thanks for your input CMD (this was mostly for the newcomers).

Good luck all.

:)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
For all you Protank Lovers out there, I just got an email:

Save 15% off ALL Protank/ items & Sandblasting on Protank Glass plus FREE frost color on all Protank sandblasting using the following coupon code:

prosale

To receive the 15% discount use the above code on the 'View Cart' page from now until July 31 2014 or while supplies last!

Kanger Protank 3 and Replacement Glass - Phiniac Rugged Pyrex Glass Tanks

I've used many Phiniac's, mainly for carto tanks over the last coupla years, and they make outstanding gear. I love my purple dragon tanks!

Thanks Bill, for this excellent find!

Good luck.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
good looking rebuild on those coils. plenty of potential here!

Dog have a read here and you'll be spittin' out rockin' coils inside of of a few days.

332934d1399406830-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0805a.jpg

Here and the continuation of the micro concept on the thread…

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html

This more advanced thread will take you through perfection of every part of a Protank build particularly the coil.

If you get hung up, just hit me up on either. There's lots of veterans around who'll kick in if I'm not around.

Glad to help.

Good luck.

brookj1986

Super Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago, IL
Dog have a read here and you'll be spittin' out rockin' coils inside of of a few days.

332934d1399406830-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0805a.jpg

Here and the continuation of the micro concept on the thread…

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html

This more advanced thread will take you through perfection of every part of a Protank build particularly the coil.

If you get hung up, just hit me up on either. There's lots of veterans around who'll kick in if I'm not around.

Glad to help.

Good luck.

Mac, what pin vise is that there in that photo. Mine is starting to crap out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Mac, what pin vise is that there in that photo. Mine is starting to crap out.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk.

Good question! How ya doin' brook?

A knock off of this excellent precision pin vise by Tamiya…

Tamiya America Item #74112 | Fine Pin Vise D-R (0.1-3.2mm)

not often available in stock with stateside suppliers.

It's a smaller version and the chucks fall just short of 3mm which is not always ideal. But it's really compact and works great if you like small tools. Particularly for rebuilding small as it doesn't weigh much. I've given all I had away. It's time to stock up again!

Here's the link, still active, on Etsy for the copy…

Professional Swivel Head Pin Vise 2 by JewelsAndToolsPlus on Etsy

I often recommend this set of bits along with these as most of the sizes you're likely to want are in there...

Dremel 628-01 7 Piece Drill Bit Set - Power Rotary Tool Accessories - Amazon.com

They're inexpensive and high RPM, unlike the standard bits a B&M is likely to use. So easier on your gear if you ask them to drill some out.

You asked me at one time and I can't remember where I answered but I continue to get excellent service and availability on small quantities for drill blanks from Suncoast Precision Tools so I'd give them a shot.

Which reminds me, I need to order more of my increasingly satisfying wind diameter (wire gauge #44, 2.1844mm), halfway twixt 5/64" and 3/32". It's a wonderful place to be for a dripper.

:D

Good luck.

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Its all good Mac, I took a stab at trying to rebuild a few of those about a year ago and lets just say "MAJOR FAILURE" would be putting it mildly... I do love it in my micro coils though.

I just bought some 2mm. Gonna try rebuilding on my Protanks and Aerotank bases. Do you always put the extra pieces of readywick in the bases around where the coil is?

Sorry to hear that muzic. The tighter the design the more critical the build geometry must be and it's not always intuitive. It doesn't help that the consumer tank makers are constantly playin' with the pieces to my mind for the sole purpose of deterring rebuilding (protecting consumables sales). I know I'm not the only one having arrived at this suspicion witness Rip T's and others bashing of the flurry of design changes since last year. Most hide the dismal state of the circuitry.

RIMP I gave the fellow credit for encouraging me to revise the testing on channel wicks (on the Protank Cotton thread). And I use it on occasion. Basically its not a catch all, no. Leaking past the base threading I believe is inherent to the design (tolerance limitations in threading and the vacuum changes with heat variation of the tanks contents). So we all suffer the 510. It's more of a if it works use it option and expensive with Nextel (except I recycle my wicks for this). The answer to my view is to focus really well on attaining wind symmetry as you wind and assemble. By perfect I mean ditch the bad ones. Really. Don't accept anything less than perfect particularly when you spin up one of these guys in seconds and do another. Why? The more perfect the adhesion at pulsing the closer to absolute efficiency you get out of them. The better they vaporize; the less they flood. Period. The tighter that coil (and it's consistent tension not too much of it) the less likely it is to distort in assembly or to show you clearly [if you do, skew] during the process. Raking which super_X_drifter discovered of tension coils is more apt to cause a tight wind to snap back into it's originally tensioned state. So it all benefits the vape to just be carefully consistent. Be the coil I say.

We can spend a whole lot of time on fiddly with our devices, whatever they are; but if you get the basic right it cures a host of ills.

THAT MY FRIENDS IS WHY I DO WHAT I DO. I'm a lazy ...., I'm tellin' ya. Hate to struggle or see others have to.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread