ProTank II flooding since removing flavor wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
Be sure to use cotton that doesn't have anything on it such as treatment chemicals and the like. Organic is best.

Some people will go to Walmart and hit the Crafts section. There they have cotton yarn, Peaches & Cream brand, 120 yards for $1.47 a roll. It's yarn, it's already twisted and sized, many people swear by it. It offers consistency not available with making your own from cotton balls. For Kanger heads, you can use it as-is, for RDAs and such where the coils are bigger, simply coil it up into double or quadruple layers as you need, wrap, then snip the ends.

Cotton just works so much better than silica, and silica essentially being fiberglass, a whole sight safer too.

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
I want to avoid having to recoil anything.. I can just place the twisted cotton on top of the coiled wick correct?

Correct.

It wouldn't hurt to learn about re-coiling though. On these Kanger heads it's sick simple. Why replace the entire piece of hardware at $2 a pop when you can re-coil and re-wick for a couple of pennies?

I bought a bunch of Kanger heads for my Evods. When I wear one out, I toss it in a lidded cup and throw in a fresh one. When I get down to my last couple of heads, I do a mass clean and rebuild on my old heads, replenish the tin of good heads. (Snus tins are perfect for this. Find someone who uses Snus and get them to hang onto their tins for you. Great storage for small stuff!)

Good practice if you're a prepper, too. A modest supply of heads combined with minimal wire and wick material will yield years of rebuilds. Good skill to have if suddenly you can't just click on an order for new ones.

VIPOD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
NB,Canada
So instead of buying wick I can use a piece of cotton ball? Does this give good results or should I just order some 2mm wick next time I place an order?

I've been using the same cotton ball for three weeks.

Please use organic cotton balls like this: Cotton_balls80.jpg

lifted74

Oct 8, 2013
Seattle, WA
Hi everybody. I'll chime in to agree that cotton ball flavor wicks work perfectly on my Pro Tank heads.

I haven't re-built the coil or messed with the silica wick yet, but everytime I clean and dry burn I've replaced the flavor wicks with one made of regular cotton ball.

No problems at all with flooding and wicks much better for both high VG and lower ohmage.

Taste is at least as good, if not better.

Interested in trying the peaches & cream yarn though. Also want to swith to the organic cotton balls.

dobrun

Mar 28, 2013
Washington DC
Hi all. I use cotton thread in a very small coil on my Kangers (8/9 coil of 30 ga Kanthal on a very small screwdriver (1.5mm) gives me 1.6 ohms which I vape at 4v (for 10W). I allow the cotton wick to come out of the Kanger head slots and then wrap into the gap between the head and the body of the Kanger for maximum soakage. I am getting an absolutely brilliant vape from this setup - really good flavour and lots of vapour (but not a "Dragon") - really good! I have also tried this cotton which works really well:

Amazon.com: Cotton Square Braid Candle Wick - #1/0: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Cotton Wick.jpg

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Don't know what others have said because i haven't read the other posts but..... I'm pretty sure the munufacturers that make tanks with "flavour wicks" know what they are doing and place those wicks inside for a good reason. Plenty of people would say "taking them out improves performance"...... well that's rubbish !. People will continue to tell you to take them out. I'm sure they're just kidding. Though ECF is a good place for research it is also full of jokers that give you false information just for a laugh. This place is full of people like that. They can be quite convincing too, and very sincere. Do you really think that absolutely everyone here is being serious ?.

You need 3mm silica for the coil, and 2 1mm silica flavour wicks to rebuild your protank. If you use anything other than 3 mil then you'll get gurgling and floooding and will have to pack it out with more flavour wicks.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Don't know what others have said because i haven't read the other posts but..... I'm pretty sure the munufacturers that make tanks with "flavour wicks" know what they are doing and place those wicks inside for a good reason. Plenty of people would say "taking them out improves performance"...... well that's rubbish !. People will continue to tell you to take them out. I'm sure they're just kidding. Though ECF is a good place for research it is also full of jokers that give you false information just for a laugh. This place is full of people like that. They can be quite convincing too, and very sincere. Do you really think that absolutely everyone here is being serious ?.

You need 3mm silica for the coil, and 2 1mm silica flavour wicks to rebuild your protank. If you use anything other than 3 mil then you'll get gurgling and floooding and will have to pack it out with more flavour wicks.

Maybe you should have read the other posts after all. :D

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Maybe you should have read the other posts after all. :D

Why, i answered the op !. Though you are entitled to your opinion. Try reading the op yourself. So maybe i won't bother taking your advice thanks very much. I'd rather focus on the question that was originally asked. Which is what i always do.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Why, i answered the op !. Though you are entitled to your opinion. Try reading the op yourself. So maybe i won't bother taking your advice thanks very much. I'd rather focus on the question that was originally asked. Which is what i always do.

Yes, but you just repeated what has already been said several times in this thread--by many. And for some reason you decided to speak unkindly about other ECF members who try very hard to help others. That was completely uncalled for and probably could have been avoided had you had the courtesy to at least look at other peoples' posts.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Yes, but you just repeated what has already been said several times in this thread--by many. And for some reason you decided to speak unkindly about other ECF members who try very hard to help others. That was completely uncalled for and probably could have been avoided had you had the courtesy to at least look at other peoples' posts.

. HUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!I answered the original op !. That's all i was ever going to do. What other members are you talking about ?. There is nothing wrong with my post you are talking about. And to reply to your comment about the least i could do, The least i could do was to read the op. Reading all the other posts isn't the least i could do at all, it's the most i could do, which is the opposite of what you're saying.:facepalm:.

Dconnor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
Las Vegas
. HUH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!I answered the original op !. That's all i was ever going to do. What other members are you talking about ?. There is nothing wrong with my post you are talking about. And to reply to your comment about the least i could do, The least i could do was to read the op. Reading all the other posts isn't the least i could do at all, it's the most i could do, which is the opposite of what you're saying.:facepalm:.

You answered in a condescending tone that the manufacturers know what they are doing, and the rest of the forum does not. Search for "Kanger leak" and see how many threads come up. Obviously, the manufacturer has not covered every situation. There are two 1mm flavor wicks on a stock head. Depending on juice ratio, coil, power etc, the best set up can vary. I have found that using half the stock flavor wicks works great for me. Others have had a different experience. Don't tell a new member who is confused that every on else is joking. That is the LEAST you could do.

abstractcousin

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2013
Thousand Oaks, CA
yea, i watched that pbusardo video when i had my protank.. and i took out the top wick, and it flooded so hard. luckily i didnt throw away that extra wick so i was able to put it back.. it only really works oh high pg liquids.. even then.. it barely bodes well with the juice and ends up flooding.. i think telling people to take off the top wick is bad advice.. the protanks already perform so good.

zazzlefrazz

Oct 15, 2013
bc
I have read that if you have a very high VG juice that you may remove a flavour wick ( or even just part of one ) since VG is much thicker than PG. Still I would only try this is you are experiencing dry or burnt hits. Start with removing a small piece or only one flavour wick and see if that works. The high VG juices I have tried actually wicked quite well in the Protanks and Protank minis

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I have read that if you have a very high VG juice that you may remove a flavour wick ( or even just part of one ) since VG is much thicker than PG. Still I would only try this is you are experiencing dry or burnt hits. Start with removing a small piece or only one flavour wick and see if that works. The high VG juices I have tried actually wicked quite well in the Protanks and Protank minis

If i get a dry hit i'll just suck on it with no power for a few seconds. Usually does the trick !. Have to suck quite a bit sometimes !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread