Provari 3 battery life indicator inaccurate???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bimmer88

Oct 9, 2013
Sacramento
Just got my Provari 3 a couple of days ago... it's working great so far and i'm loving it.. However, the battery life indicator is rather inaccurate. I'm using Sony VTC5 batteries with it. After I use it for a while, it'll show "empty". Once I unscrew the cap and screw it on again, it'll show something like 50%, 70%, or whatever the battery life actually is. I've never used a Provari before so I'm not sure if this is just something normal for Provaris. Is anyone else having the same problem???

bimmer88

Oct 9, 2013
Sacramento
I'm reasonably sure that Provape only wants you to use button tops, so maybe the connection gets a little jank with the flat top. If you have a button top, maybe try it? Otherwise, small price to pay for a great mod with a great battery.
Actually, the Provari 3 is supposed to work fine with flat top batteries

cfm78910

Sep 15, 2014
Cape Town
Just got my Provari 3 a couple of days ago... it's working great so far and i'm loving it.. However, the battery life indicator is rather inaccurate. I'm using Sony VTC5 batteries with it. After I use it for a while, it'll show "empty". Once I unscrew the cap and screw it on again, it'll show something like 50%, 70%, or whatever the battery life actually is. I've never used a Provari before so I'm not sure if this is just something normal for Provaris. Is anyone else having the same problem???

I use my Provari 3 with Efest batteries. They are 3100 mAh and the things are called IMR 18650 3.7V LI-MN. Phew. One is a flat top and the other a button top. I don't have any issues with the battery life indicator, it seems to be very accurate.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
Hey! Don't knock the vamo. I've had mine for a year and a half (v2). Hasn't failed me yet. Never had to clean the threads or contacts since day one. Still look squeaky clean to me. The provari on the other hand, requires weekly maintenance. :)

Each device will have its own quirks. I just try my best to live with them or overcome them.
Anyone knows why the threads and contacts on the provari get black carbon/gunk?? on them so quickly as compared to the vamo?

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
"The battery mileage gauge tells you how much energy is available to the atomizer. This new approach is a little different than a typical battery percentage meter. Most percentage meters, like on your cell phone, “count down” so the battery level is always going down until you reach 0%. The ProVari 3 works more like an average mileage calculator on a car. As you speed up (or raise your power level) the miles per gallon will go down because you are using more fuel. As you slow down (lower your power level) the miles per gallon go up. This is a much more accurate way of telling the user how much energy is left in the battery for the atomizer to use. This number changes based on the power level you have the P3 set to along with your style of vaping. You will notice that this percentage will adjust as you change settings and it’s perfectly normal for it to go back up as the battery recovers between uses. When you first insert your battery you will see two question marks: ??. This simply indicates the P3 is evaluating the battery and after 1-2 puffs, it will update the status of the battery."

The above is per the Provari 3 user's manual.

bimmer88

Oct 9, 2013
Sacramento
"The battery mileage gauge tells you how much energy is available to the atomizer. This new approach is a little different than a typical battery percentage meter. Most percentage meters, like on your cell phone, “count down” so the battery level is always going down until you reach 0%. The ProVari 3 works more like an average mileage calculator on a car. As you speed up (or raise your power level) the miles per gallon will go down because you are using more fuel. As you slow down (lower your power level) the miles per gallon go up. This is a much more accurate way of telling the user how much energy is left in the battery for the atomizer to use. This number changes based on the power level you have the P3 set to along with your style of vaping. You will notice that this percentage will adjust as you change settings and it’s perfectly normal for it to go back up as the battery recovers between uses. When you first insert your battery you will see two question marks: ??. This simply indicates the P3 is evaluating the battery and after 1-2 puffs, it will update the status of the battery."

The above is per the Provari 3 user's manual.
If that's true, I'd rather have the cell phone type "count down". It's like having a car that only shows MPG but not how much gas you have left... Also, it still doesn't explain why it will show "empty" when i can unscrew/rescrew the cap and continue using it for another half a day.....

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
You need to check the IQ reading in the menu. That will probably tell you the issue. If the IQ is low you will get issues like this and is generally a very easy fix. ANd once you fix the issue you will see the IQ rating reflect the issue is resolved. Please tell us the IQ rating and we can see what is going on with your P3.

bimmer88

Oct 9, 2013
Sacramento
You need to check the IQ reading in the menu. That will probably tell you the issue. If the IQ is low you will get issues like this and is generally a very easy fix. ANd once you fix the issue you will see the IQ rating reflect the issue is resolved. Please tell us the IQ rating and we can see what is going on with your P3.
When I pop in a newly charged VTC5 it shows 70... After using it for a while, it will drop down to 39...

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
When I pop in a newly charged VTC5 it shows 70... After using it for a while, it will drop down to 39...

You my friend have a low IQ, er um, I mean your Provi has a low IQ.

What model of P3 do you have? Beta or Production unit?

Do you have the improved P3 battery cap with stronger spring?

Jim

wultan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2012
Singapore
I was facing the same issue with my VTC5s and decided to write to my local reseller where I got my P3 from who then wrote to Provape.

This is what I wrote them..

Hi there. I just purchased a Provari P3 Satin Black 2 weeks ago and I realized something strange..

The battery life is quite bad vaping at 1.8 ohms and 15w. I'm using a brand new Sony VTC5 and it don't last more that 4 hours before the P3 says empty. Funny thing is, when I remove the battery and place it in the charger with volt meter, it says that battery still has 3.8v. It looks like the P3 is cutting off at 3.8v.

I've tried with another VTC5 and a LG all 18650 batteries and same thing, always cuts off at 3.8v. Any advise?

And this was their reply, what you guys think?

[{Moderated} Removed email response. Forum rules: 12. Communications considered private
Posting the content of PMs or personal emails on the forum is not allowed. All PMs and emails are deemed to be confidential and cannot be made public except with the prior written consent of the author.]

You can now use flat tops but it will screw up the system, so stick to AW IMRs? Seriously?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread