Provari Classic battery terminal broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
WOW!

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement..

I own 3 mods. All Provari's.

I quickly learned soon after giving up the stinkies to spend my $ on quality vape gear and so I moved on from my short lived Kanger Kbox mini to ProVape products.

My absolute favourite daily mod, a beautiful Provari Classic (mistakenly fitted with a P3 board) took a dump today.
Put a fresh AW 18490 in (the battery supplied by ProVape when I bought this mod directly from them) and it stopped working completely.

Unscrewed the end, removed the battery, and part of the positive battery terminal fell out :blink:

FE58660C-A1FA-4BC2-A52E-8849AC9D75DF_zps5outwv1f.jpg

This renders my 5 month old Provari useless, unless I can figure out a way of pulling it apart so I can fix it (very possible, and doable for my relatively adept mechanical skills)..

Or spending a small fortune in shipping costs sending it to "Bill" for warranty repair from Australia (WAAAY too expensive!)

I'm a bit stunned to say the least that something like this could happen..especially to a high quality mod that has never been dropped or mistreated in any way :shock:

....looks like even the "best stuff money can buy" can break prematurely.....VERY PREMATURELY!

Sad :(

Last edited:

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
16B83DAB-DAAF-4D80-9287-78CAB99C6193_zpsnfot9z30.jpg

I have a generic drill press like this buried deep in one of my sheds (11+ sheds) that I used decades ago for my corded drill.
It would be the perfect bit of hardware to mount the correct negative contact thread, and P3 thread to be able to pull the top out of my broken Classic, and then reverse the procedure to press the P3 connection back in.

My brain is going 100 mph trying to figure out the best way to approach this conundrum...

The end result could be that I could help local Aussie Provari users with simple repairs like mine.

I'm absolutely NOT an electronics technician.
Haven't got a clue about that stuff...:blush:

But I've been blessed with an ability to figure out mechanical stuff...

Stay tuned LOL

Reactions: ENAUD

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
and...here you go:
? for ProVape, is it possible to adapt the tapered ProVari to P3 threading?

just click the linky and watch the Zenmeister at work ;)

a couple notes, the endcaps do have a hole in them, so they can be secured to a plate...

the specs for the 510 can be readily found, and there are sources for the taps and dies in that pitch / dia. you'll need a die ;)

There must be some crafty electronics repair guys down your way? someone adept at soldering boards and tiny things? I'm guessing you will be successful in reviving this mod. Good luck!

Reactions: iBloke

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
and...here you go:
? for ProVape, is it possible to adapt the tapered ProVari to P3 threading?

just click the linky and watch the Zenmeister at work ;)

a couple notes, the endcaps do have a hole in them, so they can be secured to a plate...

the specs for the 510 can be readily found, and there are sources for the taps and dies in that pitch / dia. you'll need a die ;)

There must be some crafty electronics repair guys down your way? someone adept at soldering boards and tiny things? I'm guessing you will be successful in reviving this mod. Good luck!
Thanks mate :thumb:

I'll go watch the video now

Cheers :toast:

p.s. I just sent an email to "Bill" so I'll be interested to see what he has to say

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I reckon I could make one of those topcap removal doohickeys :D
Yeah, I figgered the Sam when I watched the vid, I'm betting laminated birch plywood could be used, all you need is three pieces of threaded rod and some nuts & washers. Anchoring the device to the jig will is what you'll need to work out....maybe turn down an oversize bolt and then use the die to make the 510 threads to attach to the top cap. Then that bolt could be secured to the top plate of the jig.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Oh Blokey!! I feel so so bad for you for this! My suggestion would have been to contact Bill for repair advice, but I see you've already done so. Needless to say you'll keep us posted on this?

E., you made some great suggestions!!

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I fear that the removal of a P3 board may be difficult.
I seem to remember a post by 360 that said they designed a carrier for the board when they went to the P3, which IIRC eliminated the need for the " glue dots" to hold the board in place. I'd bet that once the top cap is off the board will slide right out.

I haven't had the need to find out for myself if this is the case, but I am prepared to if the need ever arises.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
I seem to remember a post by 360 that said they designed a carrier for the board when they went to the P3, which IIRC eliminated the need for the " glue dots" to hold the board in place. I'd bet that once the top cap is off the board will slide right out.

I haven't had the need to find out for myself if this is the case, but I am prepared to if the need ever arises.
My fear is a snap in cartridge board carrier type of thing...

Reactions: iBloke

ronmack

Mar 31, 2013
WOW!

To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement..

I own 3 mods. All Provari's.

I quickly learned soon after giving up the stinkies to spend my $ on quality vape gear and so I moved on from my short lived Kanger Kbox mini to ProVape products.

My absolute favourite daily mod, a beautiful Provari Classic (mistakenly fitted with a P3 board) took a dump today.
Put a fresh AW 18490 in (the battery supplied by ProVape when I bought this mod directly from them) and it stopped working completely.

Unscrewed the end, removed the battery, and part of the positive battery terminal fell out :blink:

FE58660C-A1FA-4BC2-A52E-8849AC9D75DF_zps5outwv1f.jpg

This renders my 5 month old Provari useless, unless I can figure out a way of pulling it apart so I can fix it (very possible, and doable for my relatively adept mechanical skills)..

Or spending a small fortune in shipping costs sending it to "Bill" for warranty repair from Australia (WAAAY too expensive!)

I'm a bit stunned to say the least that something like this could happen..especially to a high quality mod that has never been dropped or mistreated in any way :shock:

....looks like even the "best stuff money can buy" can break prematurely.....VERY PREMATURELY!

Sad :(
How about contacting provape, purchase a terminal or a few and have someone solder it in locally?

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
How about contacting provape, purchase a terminal or a few and have someone solder it in locally?

ronmack...... hate to be the bearer of bad news......... but Provape is out of business, so I'm not quite sure that idea will be possible. :(

iBloke

Verified Member
May 25, 2016
The Lan Dow Nunda
PS...I was thinking about aircraft grade laminated ply, hobby stores for radio control nuts carry this in the builders secltion.

I suppose some thick aluminum, steel , heck even lexan might work.
I live part time between my beautiful Lady's home, and my brothers dairy farm.
The dairy farm has all kinda stuff I can use to cobble together pretty much anything.
I can weld, engineer, work with wood, mechanical stuff, jack of all trades LOL so as long as I can get my hands on even basic tools I reckon I'll be able to build a simple doohickey :D

Oh Blokey!! I feel so so bad for you for this! My suggestion would have been to contact Bill for repair advice, but I see you've already done so. Needless to say you'll keep us posted on this?

E., you made some great suggestions!!
Thanks Kat.
Yeah it hadta be my most favouritest dinit!? :cry:

I fear that the removal of a P3 board may be difficult.
G'day Astro, Yeah I've been wondering about that too....but as ProVape made their devices to be serviceable I'm hoping it won't be "too" difficult .. *fingers crossed* :)

I feel really bad for you mate. I hope you can get it fixed.

This thread makes me wonder If we should start buying some mechs just in case all the provaris fail (hopefully in a very distant future)
Thanks mate.
Nah I think I just got unlucky with this one.
Still got 100% faith in my other two :)

Oh noooo !
Your special treasure !
I hope you can manage to fix it !
My Special Treasure it certainly is!
...and when it arises from the ashes I think I will name it "Phoenix" :)

My fear is a snap in cartridge board carrier type of thing...
I just had a look inside the end with a flashlight and it looks like the board is held in place with a two part moulded black plastic "carrier" and I can see no sign of hot glue anywhere.
Snap/slide in hopefully means snap/slide out.....

Unfortunately ProVape closed their doors a few weeks ago :(

contact a watch repair guy ... he might have a fix.
I can solder reasonably well....when my hands aren't shakin' all over the place lol

Beer steadies 'em though :D

Oh, Phil....

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
G'day Dave..yep ..I know.... :(

:toast:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread