Provari P3 issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That's pretty sad there. Didn't know they were That bad.

Yes, the 3100 mah "20 amp" purple Efests are only 4 - 6 amps continuous discharge.

"This battery is no way able of a 20A continuous discharge! This cell is advertised as 20A. However it is based on a Panasonic NCR18650BE which is rated anywhere in between 4A and 6.4A maximum continuous discharge. Performance test results put it on a level in between NCR128650B (6.5A) and Panasonic NCR18650PF (10A) and is doing fine there." 3100 mah 20 amp Purple Efest

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Yes, the 3100 mah "20 amp" purple Efests are only 4 - 6 amps continuous discharge.

"This battery is no way able of a 20A continuous discharge! This cell is advertised as 20A. However it is based on a Panasonic NCR18650BE which is rated anywhere in between 4A and 6.4A maximum continuous discharge. Performance test results put it on a level in between NCR128650B (6.5A) and Panasonic NCR18650PF (10A) and is doing fine there." 3100 mah 20 amp Purple Efest
So at 6.5 amps, it would work just fine in a Provari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali

Yes it would to a point. Low amp batts are not always high drain and when you push them they tend to have a high voltage drop causing loss of power. This has been known in the RC world for a while when running 8-13 turn high power motors.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

I would not consider 6.5 amps to be a high drain battery. The Provari MAY OR MAY NOT work with such a low drain battery. Why purchase batteries which may not allow the Provari to work at its optimum efficiency? Provape had this to say about low vs high drain batteries:

Why High Drain Batteries?

Last edited:

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I would not consider 6.5 amps to be a high drain battery. The Provari MAY OR MAY NOT work with such a low drain battery. Why purchase batteries which may not allow the Provari to work at its optimum efficiency? Provape had this to say about low vs low drain batteries:

Agreed...

I have always thought bigger was better.

But, the battery world should be studied by all.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
I would not consider 6.5 amps to be a high drain battery. The Provari MAY OR MAY NOT work with such a low drain battery. Why purchase batteries which may not allow the Provari to work at its optimum efficiency? Provape had this to say about low vs low drain batteries:

Article does not address the P3 or ProVapes recommend battery for that PV. A person unfamiliar with ProVari's could get the impression the AW IMR is recommended for the P3. Needs to be updated

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Article does not address the P3 or ProVapes recommend battery for that PV. A person unfamiliar with ProVari's could get the impression the AW IMR is recommended for the P3. Needs to be updated
Although that article was written before the P3 was introduced, the information within it is not outdated.

The new AW IMR 3000mah 20 amp battery is more than enough battery for a P3.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Although that article was written before the P3 was introduced, the information within it is not outdated.

The new AW IMR 3000mah 20 amp battery is more than enough battery for a P3.

It is not the battery recommended by ProVape for the P3, therefore, it needs to be updated to include the P3 and subsequent recommendation.

If not, then at the very least, the article should state that it does not pertain to the P3 and that, my friend, would be a update.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It is not the battery recommended by ProVape for the P3, therefore, it needs to be updated to include the P3 and subsequent recommendation.

If not, then at the very least, the article should state that it does not pertain to the P3 and that, my friend, would be a update.
Two years ago, Provape was selling Trustfire ICR batteries for the Provape-1. I questioned Provape about using ICR batteries in a mechanical mod like the Provape-1, and not long after that Provape discontinued selling Trustfire ICR batteries and recommended the AW IMR.

Question for the tech engineers of Provape about protected Trustfire batteries

Just because Provape has certain batteries for sale in the drop down menu for the P3 does not mean those are the only batteries which will allow a P3 to function optimally. Take into consideration the amp rating and the mah rating of the battery in question. The new AW 18650 IMR 3000 mah battery has specifications which equal or surpass the Samsung 25R. The P3 has been on the market since last summer while the new AW 18650 has only been on the market for a couple of months. So, yes, perhaps Provape may soon start offering the new AW 18650 in their drop down menu in the future.

I'm quite certain that the new AW is more than acceptable for the P3. I notice that the other drop down options for the P3 are for AW batteries (18350, 18490).

Last edited:
Reactions: AstroTurf

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
Two years ago, Provape was selling Trustfire ICR batteries for the Provape-1. I questioned Provape about using ICR batteries in a mechanical mod like the Provape-1, and not long after that Provape discontinued selling Trustfire ICR batteries and recommended the AW IMR.

Question for the tech engineers of Provape about protected Trustfire batteries

Just because Provape has certain batteries for sale in the drop down menu for the P3 does not mean those are the only batteries which will allow a P3 to function optimally. Take into consideration the amp rating and the mah rating of the battery in question. The new AW 18650 IMR 3000 mah battery has specifications which equal or surpass the Samsung 25R. The P3 has been on the market since last summer while the new AW 18650 has only been on the market for a couple of months. So, yes, perhaps Provape may soon start offering the new AW 18650 in their drop down menu in the future.

I'm quite certain that the new AW is more than acceptable for the P3. I notice that the other drop down options for the P3 are for AW batteries (18350, 18490).
I hope you are right about ProVape recommending the new AW 18650. If so, I hope it's sooner than later.

In the meantime, the Samsung 25R is what ProVape recommends for the P3 in 18650 mode.

I never said the Samsung 25R's, "are the only batteries which will allow a P3 to function optimally."

It has nothing to do with what's available in the drop down menu, although I imagine being ProVape's recommendation is why the Samsungs are the choice for said menu. Rather it is what is printed IN BIG BOLD WRITING on their website!

I urge you to visit ProVape's order pages for the AW 18650 and Samsung 25R's to see for yourself. For you convenience, I have provided the links:

http://www.provape.com/AW-18650-Battery-p/aw18650-2200.htm

http://www.provape.com/Samsung-25R-18650-Battery-p/samsung25r.htm

For your added convenience and to save you some time, I'm going to, "copy/paste" the recommendation on both order pages.

For the AW 18650's:

2200 mah AW Rechargeable Batteries
NOTE: For the ProVari 3 (P3) we recommend using the new Samsung 18650 cells.
Link

For the Samsung 25R's:

Recommended for the P3

This cell is our choice for P3 users. With a low internal resistance and increased capacity, we highly recommend you use this cell for when you are in 18650 mode.

I hope you are successful in your endeavor to change ProVape's recommendation. Furthermore, I hope it's before I have to replace the AW 18650's I currently have in rotation for home use and spare's in my Jeep. They are 3 years old and I'm going to squeeze every drop out of them. :)

Last edited:

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I hope you are right about ProVape recommending the new AW 18650. If so, I hope it's sooner than later.

In the meantime, the Samsung 25R is what ProVape recommends for the P3 in 18650 mode.

I never said the Samsung 25R's, "are the only batteries which will allow a P3 to function optimally."

It has nothing to do with what's available in the drop down menu, although I imagine being ProVape's recommendation is why the Samsungs are the choice for said menu. Rather it is what is printed IN BIG BOLD WRITING on their website!

I urge you to visit ProVape's order pages for the AW 18650 and Samsung 25R's to see for yourself. For you convenience, I have provided the links:

http://www.provape.com/AW-18650-Battery-p/aw18650-2200.htm

http://www.provape.com/Samsung-25R-18650-Battery-p/samsung25r.htm

For your added convenience and to save you some time, I'm going to, "copy/paste" the recommendation on both order pages.

For the AW 18650's:

Link

For the Samsung 25R's:

Recommended for the P3

This cell is our choice for P3 users. With a low internal resistance and increased capacity, we highly recommend you use this cell for when you are in 18650 mode.

I hope you are successful in your endeavor to change ProVape's recommendation. Furthermore, I hope it's before I have to replace the AW 18650's I currently have in rotation for home use and spare's in my Jeep. They are 3 years old and I'm going to squeeze every drop out of them. :)
The Newest AW Battery wipes the floor with the 25r. And my money says it will last (lifetime cycles) longer too.

My Chevrolet vehicle recommends Chevrolet parts. Are they the best parts for the job? Only through knowledgeable research will I know. Or, I could just follow their advice.

I prefer my own opinion and research, along with a manufacturers. (Who also resells parts)

Just my opinion, Jim

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
The Newest AW Battery wipes the floor with the 25r. And my money says it will last (lifetime cycles) longer too.

My Chevrolet vehicle recommends Chevrolet parts. Are they the best parts for the job? Only through knowledgeable research will I know. Or, I could just follow their advice.

I prefer my own opinion and research, along with a manufacturers. (Who also resells parts)

Just my opinion, Jim

I didn't state my opinion on what battery is best, better, or should be used. :-x I was merely pointing out that document is outdated because it was wrote before the P3 was released and leads the reader to believe the AW is the recommended battery for a ProVari. While it is for the V1's, 2, 2.5 (whatever) it is not the battery ProVape recommends for the P3.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, the P3 is a ProVari, is it not?

The article does not differentiate the P3 from earlier versions. It is a misnomer.

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I didn't state my opinion on what battery is best, better, or should be used. :-x I was merely pointing out that document is outdated because it was wrote before the P3 was released and leads the reader to believe the AW is the recommended battery for a ProVari. While it is for the V1's, 2, 2.5 (whatever) it is not the battery ProVape recommends for the P3.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, the P3 is a ProVari, is it not?

The article does not differentiate the P3 from earlier versions. It is a misnomer.
Short and Sweet...

A manufacturers recommendation is gospel to my mother, but not my father.

Saying it is so, also, does not make it such.

IMO, Jim

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

For the AW 18650's:

Link

For the Samsung 25R's:

Recommended for the P3

I would hope a Provape representative/tech engineer will view this thread and post their opinions about batteries for the Provari P3.

The AW 18650 IMR 2200 mah (20 amp battery) was available when the P3 was initially introduced, as were the Samsung 1865025R 2500mah (20 amp) battery. With a couple hundred more mah capacity, the Samsung is the obvious choice between these two batteries.

The AW 18650 IMR 3000mah (20 amp) battery and LG 18650HG2 3000mah (20 amp) have only been on the market for a couple of months, so with more mah capacity and same amp output, they appear to be an even better battery than the Samsung 25R. Moch has already posted his bench tests for all four batteries:

AW Red 20A 2200mAh Button-Top 18650 <--- only a 15 amp battery. "In my opinion, this is only a 15A continuous discharge current (CDR) button-top cell.
  • At 10A it reached almost 2100mAh. This is good performance for a 2200mAh-rated cell.
  • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 77°C. This is average for a cell operating at its CDR.
  • At 15A the AW 2200mAh reaches almost 1100mAh down to 3.2V. The Samsung 25R reaches about 1600mAh.
  • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 89°C. This is way too high for 20A to be the CDR. It only had about 50% of the capacity of a 25R down to 3.2V. In my opinion this is a 15A cell." - Mooch

Samsung Blue Wrap 25R (25R2) 20A 2500mAh 18650 "A true 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell with good capacity that runs at moderate temperatures. This cell deserves its good reputation.
  • Great capacity and moderate maximum temperature of 75°C-78°C at 20A.
  • Five additional cycles at 20A showed only 1.3% loss in capacity and almost no voltage sag. A 10A discharge done after this also showed only a 1.3% loss in capacity." - Mooch

AW Red 20A 3000mAh Flat-Top 18650 "In my opinion, this is a good 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) flat-top cell with high capacity. Its performance is close to the LG HG2 and their cases, top caps, and tooling marks are identical.
  • At 10A it reached about 2750mAh. This is average performance for a 3000mAh-rated cell.
  • At 15A the maximum temperature reached 71°C. This is too low for a cell operating at its CDR.
  • At 20A the maximum temperature reached 82°-84°C. This is at the high end of temperatures for 20A to be the CDR but similar to the LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q.
  • At 25A the temperature rose to my safety limit of 100°C just before the discharge was stopped. It then coasted up to 102°C. This is way too hot to set the CDR at 25A.
  • Five additional cycles at 20A showed no signs of damage other than that which occurs when running a cell at its CDR. I am setting a CDR of 20A for this cell.
  • The performance was a bit lower than the LG HG2, for both capacity and voltage under load, but the cell can, top, and tooling marks were identical. I think this could be an HG2. The performance differences could be due to normal battery to battery tolerances, but I don't know for sure." - Mooch

LG HG2 20A 3000mAh 18650 "This is a solid 20A continuous discharge rating/maximum continuous discharge (CDR/MCD) cell. Six cycles at 20A showed no loss of performance, indicating that the cell wasn't being badly overstressed. Discharge #6 had a slightly lower voltage under load but greater capacity. A 10A discharge done after this showed no loss in capacity. " - Mooch

Last edited:

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
OK, gotta add my two cents. I have the following, among others: Sony VCT4, Samsung 25R (blue wrapper), AW 2200mAh and the new AW 3000mHA. All work fine in my P3. At 7.8 watts with a 1.6ohm coil I cannot tell a difference. And in fact I'm not using any of them in the P3. My P3's with the Nautilus P3 tanks are using AW 18490 1200mAh batteries. And the P3's with the Kabukis are using AW 18350 800Ah batteries. Why? Because based the size of the tank and the battery in combination, most of the time they hit the refill-recharge point together. And the P3 in 18650 mode with a Nautilus P3 is tank is a monster.

But I also have an Aspire Pegasus with an Atlantis 1 base with an A-MOD 7ml tank. In it is a Vaper Ni200, 0.15 ohm coil. I have the mod set to 430F. With a room temperature start, I feel nothing until about the third or fourth hit with the Sony and the Samsung batteries. With the AW 3000 I'm feeling something at the end of the first draw. So in my experience the AW's win.

And I realize one can rewrap batteries. The Sony and Samsung batteries are already showing wear. Whereas AW's that I've been using for months barely show any wear. I'll have rewrap the Sony and Samsungs in a few months. I won't with the AW's.

All the 18650 batteries were purchased from RTD Vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread