Provari P3, really want to like it...I really do...but.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soully

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
Cerritos, CA
Possibly, the zap was the worst topper ever, with the best promotion ever! Still have a few zaps, probably rusted over by now! Not mentioning the maker, but the zap ruined anything ever made by him!
... I disagree... I love my zap... My complaint was with the fact it just had an ever so slightly longer than normal connector... Nothing about its functionality.... Promotion?

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I used to love Provape but it seems they're quite content with being extremely user unfriendly as far as updates go. That's why I'm done with them. With my SX Mini M Class updating is a breeze. Download the update from the Yihi website, connect device to USB port on PC, start SXi software, click connect, locate firmware upgrade and click "upgrade firmware." The whole procedure takes 2 minutes. If Provape ever wants to see me return as a customer, they have to match that level of ease of updating. Anything else is not acceptable.

That sounds like a tremendous amount of work; far easier to buy a P3 and purchase a new one every time ProVape updates...

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very good question and my apologies for not having mentioned that. Yes, I've actually had to bite down and deal with my OCD and I put my ZAP on the P3 (it has the NASTIEST gap due to how long the ZAPs 510 connector is (or how short the P3s is? Unsure to be honest which that is) ), the life span is significantly shorter on the P3. I decided to test it with the zap as my other tank is a nautilus with p3 threading, so couldn't test it on the 2.5. My original hope and theory was that some kind of black magic on the nautilus was causing the battery to just stop holding a charge. But as I stated, I could take a battery out of the p3, put it into the 2.5, and still have a solid few hours of vaping (at the same voltage).

I also thought "huh, maybe it's because I'm in VW and that's why", so I did try this test again on VV, same thing happened, as soon as it was in my 2.5 (at the same voltage of course) that battery still had miles left on it.

At this point I'm still waiting to hear back, if I haven't heard anything by monday night I'm asking for some kind of status update, otherwise I'll be concerned with how backed up there repair support is (I realize it's only a handful of people, but to be -that- backed up? )

Had the same problems, firmware update to v38 fixed all of them for me, across multiple P3 devices. Whatever algorithm they're using to read remaining battery-life has moved much closer to reality.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That sounds like a tremendous amount of work; far easier to buy a P3 and purchase a new one every time ProVape updates...
Really? About the same amount of work as updating firmware on any SSD I've ever purchased, or for that matter everytime iPhone updates firmware (well no, the latter is more automagic). But seriously the lack of a micro-USB port and self-updates for firmware is incredibly annoying. I have 3 P3's, I don't want to own 1 of the latest that works, and have multiple units stuck on firmware 36 (which in my humble opinion was total crap and never read battery life correctly on anything).

If I own 3 P3's, why would I possibly want 1, the latest one, which works right, and have 2 paperweights that annoy me by forcing me to constantly unscrew the end caps and then put them back on to make it recognize that no, the battery isn't dead and still holding half a charge+

Attach e-cig to app that updates firmware, seriously trumps go find a B&M someplace that can update the firmware, or go get RMAs for multiple devices, ship them all back and then wait for them to return. Just the process of getting an RMA, nevermind packing up the p3s that need updates and mailing 'em in, is significantly longer and more complicated than plugging in a USB cable and Pushing Teh ButT0n.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Really? About the same amount of work as updating firmware on any SSD I've ever purchased, or for that matter everytime iPhone updates firmware (well no, the latter is more automagic). But seriously the lack of a micro-USB port and self-updates for firmware is incredibly annoying. I have 3 P3's, I don't want to own 1 of the latest that works, and have multiple units stuck on firmware 36 (which in my humble opinion was total crap and never read battery life correctly on anything).

If I own 3 P3's, why would I possibly want 1, the latest one, which works right, and have 2 paperweights that annoy me by forcing me to constantly unscrew the end caps and then put them back on to make it recognize that no, the battery isn't dead and still holding half a charge+

Attach e-cig to app that updates firmware, seriously trumps go find a B&M someplace that can update the firmware, or go get RMAs for multiple devices, ship them all back and then wait for them to return. Just the process of getting an RMA, nevermind packing up the p3s that need updates and mailing 'em in, is significantly longer and more complicated than plugging in a USB cable and Pushing Teh ButT0n.

I have to admit, I agree with you on this, something upgradeable would be so much better if the owner can do it themselves. Bravo for speaking your mind! It's not easy being the squeaky wheel sometimes...

P.S. I don't own a P3 yet, for various reasons, but I do own many ProVari's...:2c:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...

It doesn't seem like many are having so much trouble getting the update, if they want it. ProVari aren't for everyone...

Reactions: AstroTurf

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I forgot this is ECF ;-) Sorry, I haven't drank the kool-aid and lack reverence, awe, and deep emotional attachment to companies where I'm not a shareholder.

I like P3s, obviously, they have displaced pretty much everything as my all day vapes.

I have no probs with ProVape's customer service, it's pretty excellent ... having said that though, my very favorite interaction with customer service is none at all. User-updatable firmware would nice. It would be far more convenient than the present methodology for upgrading. It may be worthwhile to think of an option that allows this feature to exist for P3.5's. <-- constructive suggestion, not to be confused with heresy.
Obviously, provape isn't for everyone! Don't trust local Vape shops! Hate my local provape shop, what type of deal you want to make to upgrade my device? I want huge discount, as local"supported" store is horrendous!

$20 delivered? With no local store involvement!

How do you discount free? It costs nothing to upgrade your P3, just send it to them and give them $5 bucks for postage. I forget the RMA link but it's pretty obvious on their site.

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
ProVari would look cheap and awkward with a USB slot. It's also something which would break before anything else on a ProVari...
Hum... You know what, you're right. The only place I can think of adding it is inside the tube next to the circuit board, which is probably where their factory connect already lives. Exposing that to end-users would probably create a major headache for everybody, "just stuff this special tool down this long tube and get it to line up! After you try 20, 30 times, it'll be easy!"

So... forget micro-USB. Add a low-energy bluetooth chip instead and do wireless.

There's another company I like a lot who makes small APVs for ... stuff other than nicotine. I dunno the rules on ECF and don't want to make anyone have a seizure so I won't post a link to it, but it's made by Storz Bickel and I can already control/adjust everything on the vaporizer using an iPhone (or Android device). It's pretty sweet.

Under the auspices of constructive suggestions, I would love to see both on the next iteration of the P3:

- User-upgradable firmware (however they do it, because having it upgradable rocks; having to ship it back or find B&M, not so much).

- an iOS/Android app to set everything on the device so it's not necessary to scroll through all the sub-sub-sub-menus and you can just adjust from phone.

Are these deal breakers for me? Noap, obviously not. They are however features that would rock and be pretty cool.

Suggestions, not hating on ProVari ;-)

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
ProVari would look cheap and awkward with a USB slot. It's also something which would break before anything else on a ProVari...

Must agree that I wouldn't want a USB slot on a ProVari. They are often the weakest part of many mods. But, I imagine it could be done as part of a longer endcap, an extra novelty piece, meant to be used for updating should on line updating become an option, in the future.

Maybe not technically possible -- but heck, it's late and it seemed to be a good idea.:lol:

Reactions: jwbnyc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread