Status
Not open for further replies.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
A friend of mine is looking to buy her daughter a VV mod that will last. We live in PA, next month we get hit with heavy regulations. Of course a solid VV mod begins and ends with Provari. The problem we have, although her daughter is a former smoker, now vaper, she knows next to nothing about vapeing. All she has ever used is an istick 20 with a nautilus mini. She also plans to buy her a kayfun, I can build her coils. I really have very limited knowledge about Provari. I visited the Provape site, and after reading all the descriptions I'm unsure what would be the best choice for someone with extremely limited vape knowledge, or interest, that is using an istick 20. Which is the most user friendly and is at least 20 watts? Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Reactions: bnrkwest

Jim-

GCS E (1) + V (1) + M (1) = 3
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Los Angeles County, Ca. USA
A friend of mine is looking to buy her daughter a VV mod that will last. We live in PA, next month we get hit with heavy regulations. Of course a solid VV mod begins and ends with Provari. The problem we have, although her daughter is a former smoker, now vaper, she knows next to nothing about vapeing. All she has ever used is an istick 20 with a Nautilus mini. She also plans to buy her a Kayfun, I can build her coils. I really have very limited knowledge about Provari. I visited the Provape site, and after reading all the descriptions I'm unsure what would be the best choice for someone with extremely limited vape knowledge, or interest, that is using an istick 20. Which is the most user friendly and is at least 20 watts? Any opinions or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Is she actually vaping at 20 watts? If so, it will really narrow down the field of mods available. [emoji2]

Sent on my authentic Communicator by Tapatalk [emoji92]

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Is she actually vaping at 20 watts? If so, it will really narrow down the field of mods available. [emoji2]

That's a great question, I know. I asked her mom this afternoon, she didn't know. I think we're going to have to find out. But in any case I think we should keep the 20 watt option open. If I can get an answer I'll update the thread.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Don't know if you saw this chart:

http://www.provape.com/v/pdf/comparisonchart.pdf

If all she is using is a Nautilus mini, 15 watts should be plenty for her. If it was me I'd recommend the Classic, they are being disco'ed and the pricing is less than half of what they originally were at release time.

For around thirty bucks you could get her a mini 2.5 to see if she will like a removable battery mod. Will she want to bother with dealing with batteries, charger etc? If not, then the Radius is probably the best all around option for her with it's on board charger.

Lot's to consider depending on how commited she is and how much effort she will put into it. Good luck!

Jim-

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
If 20 watts is a must, think that's gonna tie you to a P3, Radius, or Procyon. Of those three I can't recommend the Radius highly enough. It is prolly the best overall mod I have ever owned and is simplicity itself when it comes to low wattage vaping.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Don't know if you saw this chart:

http://www.provape.com/v/pdf/comparisonchart.pdf

If all she is using is a Nautilus mini, 15 watts should be plenty for her. If it was me I'd recommend the Classic, they are being disco'ed and the pricing is less than half of what they originally were at release time.

For around thirty bucks you could get her a mini 2.5 to see if she will like a removable battery mod. Will she want to bother with dealing with batteries, charger etc? If not, then the Radius is probably the best all around option for her with it's on board charger.

Lot's to consider depending on how commited she is and how much effort she will put into it. Good luck!
I have not seen this. Thank you! Very helpful!

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I have another question. I just watched the Provape video again regarding the Radius. If I understand correctly, the only way to charge the battery is through the USB port on the mod? You don't/shouldn't remove the battery and charge it on a separate charger? The reason this is so important, this may come to be her only mod. If the only way to charge it is as a unit, this could be a problem if you only own one mod. Am I understanding correctly? Or do you have the option to use several batteries and a charger?

Jim-

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
The battery is easily removed and charged externally. They just suggest the internal charging as a matter of convenience and its design. I for one use both methods on my Radius based on time constraints.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
The battery is easily removed and charged externally. They just suggest the internal charging as a matter of convenience and its design. I for one use both methods on my Radius based on time constraints.

Great! Thank you!

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
Hi Jugband,

What part of PA you from? North central here:) I think she would like the P3 or Radius but the Classic or 2.5 mini will serve her well for years to come. I cant speak about the P3/Radius as I dont own those but I do own a 2.5mini and a Classic. If she likes the istick20 she will love the 2.5or classic. I get excellent battery life on 18490s. Used to use 4 batteries a day on my ZNA-lite with the 2.5 i use one and a half batteries, and still vape like a steam engine. It will be alot better vape too ;)

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Hi Jugband,

What part of PA you from? North central here:) I think she would like the P3 or Radius but the Classic or 2.5 mini will serve her well for years to come. I cant speak about the P3/Radius as I dont own those but I do own a 2.5mini and a Classic. If she likes the istick20 she will love the 2.5or classic. I get excellent battery life on 18490s. Used to use 4 batteries a day on my ZNA-lite with the 2.5 i use one and a half batteries, and still vape like a steam engine. It will be alot better vape too ;)

I'm from western PA, about a half hour out of Pittsburgh.
Thanks for all the great info! This is all very helpful :)

gin828

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
PA, USA
  1. The 40% tax really blows for us in the great Commonwealth of PA..... I did try an Istick30 and was not impressed, 15 watts on the istick was like 10watts on my ZNA. Provape has it together on their magical chipset...Your vape will consistent until it cant fire what its set at... Couple of my friends that tired my Classic, vaped their tanks at 11 watts instead of their standard 17 watts on the Isticks

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
  1. The 40% tax really blows for us in the great Commonwealth of PA..... I did try an Istick30 and was not impressed, 15 watts on the istick was like 10watts on my ZNA. Provape has it together on their magical chipset...Your vape will consistent until it cant fire what its set at... Couple of my friends that tired my Classic, vaped their tanks at 11 watts instead of their standard 17 watts on the Isticks
I just wonder what took the great Commonwealth so long :mad:
I never had any doubt regarding the quality of a Provari, that's why it was my only suggestion for a regulated mod. Great comparison info! Thanks!

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I think you should get her 2 mods. :)

Both the Classic and the Radius.

The Radius might last her all day without charging. If not, instead of swapping batteries, she could simply plug it in and use her Classic with one of 3 different sized batteries.

With the sale price on the Classic's I would strongly consider picking one up for her. I have a feeling the power levels will be fine for her with a Nautilus, though the numbers on the display may say it's a bit lower power.

Both the mods can be used in wattage mode, too.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I think you should get her 2 mods. :)

Both the Classic and the Radius.

The Radius might last her all day without charging. If not, instead of swapping batteries, she could simply plug it in and use her Classic with one of 3 different sized batteries.

With the sale price on the Classic's I would strongly consider picking one up for her. I have a feeling the power levels will be fine for her with a Nautilus, though the numbers on the display may say it's a bit lower power.

Both the mods can be used in wattage mode, too.
I couldn't agree more. I can't imagine getting by with one mod, no matter how great it is. But I'm just gathering information to help my friend purchase the best model. I'll certainly pass along the advice! Good option for them, thanks!

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I've now got two Radius (Radii), and I have yet to use the onboard charging.
I have five of the same battery that came with the device (LGHGPooBrown), and I just swap my battery every four days when it dies.
I charge them on an external charger.

Also, I run my atomizers around 0.6 ohms, and firing them at 25 watts it close to 4.0 volts.

If she's using a Nautilus Mini, the coils are either 1.6 or 1.8 ohms.
If so, they usually bump up in resistance after usage.

My 1.6's usually peak around 1.8
My 1.8's usually peak around 2.0

With the math of 1.8/2.0 at 15-20 watts, she's above 5 volts, and 2.0 ohms at 20 watts is over 6 volts.

I can't personally recommend firing either Nautilus coil over 4.4 volts, which would be 2 ohms at 10 watts.

She's gotta be blowing through coils!

Of course, all of this is from my personal experience, using Nautilus coils on Provape devices...which means I'm getting exactly the power I dial my Provaris to.

I can't speak on how accurate her current mod is.

---------

My whole point here? To recommend The Classic as choice number one.
At their current price, getting her two would be effective, so she can always have one ready to go, plus having two different colors is an added bonus.

The menu is simple, and Provape-beginner friendly.

As some have stated here, the Radius would also be a great choice, especially if she's used to a box(ish) mod.

Even running my 0.6 builds at 25 watts (3.8 volts), I can get like 3-4 days on one battery.
If she had at least one other battery, and a good XTAR-VP2 charger ($25-30 on Amazon), I imagine she could be set all week.

-------------
It all depends on how she vapes, and how comfortable she is with her current setup.

As you can tell, I'm very passionate about his subject, especially when it comes to newbies. I can't believe I took so long to buy my first Provape device (late 2013), but it truly helped me kick analog cigs for good.

As you can also tell, we are all here to help! And if a Provape device isn't the right device for her, none of us are too narrow minded to recommend another brand!

One last suggestion: Look into getting her a JUUL cigalike.
Even with all my fancy high end gear, I puff on a JUUL all day!

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I've now got two Radius (Radii), and I have yet to use the onboard charging.
I have five of the same battery that came with the device (LGHGPooBrown), and I just swap my battery every four days when it dies.
I charge them on an external charger.

Also, I run my atomizers around 0.6 ohms, and firing them at 25 watts it close to 4.0 volts.

If she's using a Nautilus Mini, the coils are either 1.6 or 1.8 ohms.
If so, they usually bump up in resistance after usage.

My 1.6's usually peak around 1.8
My 1.8's usually peak around 2.0

With the math of 1.8/2.0 at 15-20 watts, she's above 5 volts, and 2.0 ohms at 20 watts is over 6 volts.

I can't personally recommend firing either Nautilus coil over 4.4 volts, which would be 2 ohms at 10 watts.

She's gotta be blowing through coils!

Of course, all of this is from my personal experience, using Nautilus coils on Provape devices...which means I'm getting exactly the power I dial my Provaris to.

I can't speak on how accurate her current mod is.

---------

My whole point here? To recommend The Classic as choice number one.
At their current price, getting her two would be effective, so she can always have one ready to go, plus having two different colors is an added bonus.

The menu is simple, and Provape-beginner friendly.

As some have stated here, the Radius would also be a great choice, especially if she's used to a box(ish) mod.

Even running my 0.6 builds at 25 watts (3.8 volts), I can get like 3-4 days on one battery.
If she had at least one other battery, and a good XTAR-VP2 charger ($25-30 on Amazon), I imagine she could be set all week.

-------------
It all depends on how she vapes, and how comfortable she is with her current setup.

As you can tell, I'm very passionate about his subject, especially when it comes to newbies. I can't believe I took so long to buy my first Provape device (late 2013), but it truly helped me kick analog cigs for good.

As you can also tell, we are all here to help! And if a Provape device isn't the right device for her, none of us are too narrow minded to recommend another brand!

One last suggestion: Look into getting her a JUUL cigalike.
Even with all my fancy high end gear, I puff on a JUUL all day!
Thank you so much! This was great information! I passed it along to my friend, I think she's sold on the classic. So great of you to take so much time to help us out, much appreciated :)

Reactions: HBcorpse

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
When my sister decided to stop smoking and to vape instead, we went together to a vape shop to look at different mod setups and to sample e-liquid flavors. I suggested that she could use one of my Provari 2.5 and she would only have to purchase a tank and e-liquids. She compared the Provari to the other mods in the store, and decided the Provari was too heavy. She purchased a 30watt istick, aspire nautilus tank, and some e-liquid. A year later, she is using the same setup.

Her first istick died after two weeks use and had to be replaced under warranty. She ordered a third one online which a few days later fell from a coffee table onto the floor and broke. So, she has gone through four isticks over the last year: one died and another broke. The last two are still in use.

Personally, I have owned two standard size Provari 2.5's, a mini Provari 2.5, and a P3. I gave the Mini (my favorite all-time mod) to my daughter who lost it. I used some sort of Provari setup for over 3 years and never had a single issue. Over the last couple of years my vaping preferences have changed and I no longer use them, but due to their value to me I will always keep them.

Why Provari?
  • What is the Provari and why is it so popular? Includes some little known facts, and videos & links to ECF threads on why the Provari is loved by owners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread