Provari tank - IBTanked or Subtank Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
An IBTanked cartotank on a Provari was my "go to" combo for over two years. Very happy with that combination as the two seemed designed for each other. I've since moved up to a kayfun Lite Plus rebuildable tank atomizer, so I rarely use cartotanks anymore although I still highly recommend them.

IBTanked Pyrex Cartotanks - Review

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

Why Provari?

I have no experience with a subtank mini. (Understand that the Provari will not fire a coil below 0.8 ohms. I build 1.5 ohm for my KFL+ and generally use 3.4 - 4.0 volts on the Provari.) I used 2.5 ohm Ikenvape Platinum cartomizers in the IBTanked.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

Ryuukon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2013
Wyoming, USA
I wouldn't use a Subtank on a Provari Mini for 2 reasons. First, as Baditude stated, the Provari won't fire below 0.8 ohms. A stock 0.5 ohm Subtank head won't fire on it. You can get 1.2 ohm heads, but that brings up the 2nd reason that I wouldn't use a Subtank on a Provari Mini. The Provari has a 15 watt limit. The Subtank can be fired that low, but it's not going to perform very well. Subtanks have a sweetspot of around 24 - 30 watts.

Really the Provari performs best with cartotanks or Kayfuns, as Baditude stated. There are other tanks that work well with it too, like the eXpromizer, Nautilus, Squape, etc. but ultimately any kind of sub-ohm tank like the Subtank just needs more power.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Absolutely throw an ibtanked in that sucker!! I use them everyday! Ibtanked and Provari are a match made in heaven!!

I also have a Kayfun Nano that works really well on my other Provari. (Zombie Mini) I put a 1.3 ohm coil on it and it vapes a treat and looks great too!
fbda00d9aca2280ba72a929f799dd474.jpg

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
The Subtank can be fired that low, but it's not going to perform very well. Subtanks have a sweetspot of around 24 - 30 watts.
For me, the Subtank mini runs great at 15W on my eLeaf 50w. I've tried taking it up higher, which means eventually around 22w if I vape on it just a second or two too long it's burned the coil *again*. To say that it's not going to perform very well if you only use it to 15w is in my opinion, too broad of a statement. My buddy can only vape on his (same setup as mine) with something called blue granite to a maximum of 12w with the .5 Ohm coil installed and if he goes to 15w, then his coils starts tasting rank like mine does at 22w. The only difference between ours is that he's using that blue granite liquid and I'm using something called Mata Leao (salted caramel). I think the other thing to note is that I generally take between 5 and 8 second (straight to lung) hits at 15w, which is far too long to do at 22w with the juice that I use, I'd have to lower my hits to about 1.5 to 2.5 seconds to avoid getting a burnt hit with the juice I use, which to me is just not very satisfying at all.

It produces plenty of vapor at 15w too. Sure you won't win a contest at that lower wattage but it's still quite satisfying and needs one to keep a window open in the car when driving to be able to still see out the windshield.

Reactions: caroloto

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I also use STM's on my two P2.5s. I build the RBA deck to about 1.5 ohm but I recall it firing down to about 1.0 ohms so pretty sure the 1.2 ohm OCCs work. Can't speak for the ibtanked.

Eta: I'm happy and not looking to spend money chasing an upgrade. I think the STM is far superior to my KFL+ that they retired

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
For me, the Subtank mini runs great at 15W on my eLeaf 50w. I've tried taking it up higher, which means eventually around 22w if I vape on it just a second or two too long it's burned the coil *again*. To say that it's not going to perform very well if you only use it to 15w is in my opinion, too broad of a statement. My buddy can only vape on his (same setup as mine) with something called blue granite to a maximum of 12w with the .5 Ohm coil installed and if he goes to 15w, then his coils starts tasting rank like mine does at 22w. The only difference between ours is that he's using that blue granite liquid and I'm using something called Mata Leao (salted caramel). I think the other thing to note is that I generally take between 5 and 8 second (straight to lung) hits at 15w, which is far too long to do at 22w with the juice that I use, I'd have to lower my hits to about 1.5 to 2.5 seconds to avoid getting a burnt hit with the juice I use, which to me is just not very satisfying at all.

It produces plenty of vapor at 15w too. Sure you won't win a contest at that lower wattage but it's still quite satisfying and needs one to keep a window open in the car when driving to be able to still see out the windshield.
I agree with the original STM RBA deck in particular can't keep up with much over the 14W the Provari puts out. The new RBA deck on the subox version imuch better and I've caped that up to 40w without issue. So I think the P2.5 is a good match for the old tba deck

MIK3Y_D

Aug 2, 2015
Hello all - I am about to pick up a Provari mini. I currently use a Subtank Mini, but it seems like many people use IBTanked tanks on the Provari. Would you recommend one over the other?

Like some people said above. Use the RBA in the sub tank mini, it works great. Even the old RBA is good, just drill two 3mm holes where the new RBA them and your golden. (Videos on YouTube) I have both the old one and the new one and with the extra holes drilled I can't tell the difference. Both do 30 watts no problem and I can hit it like a train. I personally build in the .5 to .8 ohm area and vape at 15 to 18 watts and performs outstanding. I never liked the stock higher ohm coils, but u can rebuild those too!

I'd say go with the subtank :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread