Not open for further replies.

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
Yeah, I have run a dual coil dripper on my Provari too. And liked it (take that, haters). ;)

And before someone charges in and cries that it doesn't work for their 0.0000001 Ohm dripper, believing that this information is somehow relevant or interesting in any way: Listen. It's not. The Provari 2.5 has a 1.2 Ohm limit. This has never been a secret. Never, not once. Not for a second was it ever a secret. If flogging dead horses and kicking in open doors is your thing, your really big number one passion, what gets you up in the morning, and the last thing you think about before falling asleep at night ... there is a chance you might be in the wrong forum. Not saying that you are, just that there is a chance.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
Yeah, I have run a dual coil dripper on my Provari too. And liked it (take that, haters). ;)

And before someone charges in and cries that it doesn't work for their 0.0000001 Ohm dripper, believing that this information is somehow relevant or interesting in any way: Listen. It's not. The Provari 2.5 has a 1.2 Ohm limit. This has never been a secret. Never, not once. Not for a second was it ever a secret. If flogging dead horses and kicking in open doors is your thing, your really big number one passion, what gets you up in the morning, and the last thing you think about before falling asleep at night ... there is a chance you might be in the wrong forum. Not saying that you are, just that there is a chance.

I thought the limit on the 2.5 was 0.8 ohm and the previous was 1.2ohm.
I've fired mine a few times at 0.8ohm and seen a buddy fire his at 0.7ohm. The 0.7 ohm read 0.7564 ohm on the hdmm though. Even still; devils advocate here, I've found 1.4 and up to work best on the patriot at least, and at 4.5V it's almost too much for me.
Then again maybe I'm not much of a vapor. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
If yours can do that, I'm not going to doubt you. I haven't been able to find the exact number in any "official" specs for the 2.5 (Provape's FAQ is sadly outdated), so I have only anecdotes to go by. But anyway, my point is that it is pretty clear that the Provari was never intended for sub ohm use, and it has certainly never been advertised as a sub ohm capable device, so trying to fault it for not being good for sub ohm use is just stupid and/or dishonest.

As it happens, I prefer a rather cool vape too, which I have no problem admitting. I cannot fathom the shallowness and immaturity of the kids who believe that vaping is a reproductive organ measuring contest.

Last edited:

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
If yours can do that, I'm not going to doubt you. I haven't been able to find the exact number in any "official" specs for the 2.5 (Provape's FAQ is sadly outdated), so I have only anecdotes to go by. But anyway, my point is that it is pretty clear that the Provari was never intended for sub ohm use, and it has certainly never been advertised as a sub ohm capable device, so trying to fault it for not being good for sub ohm use is just stupid and/or dishonest.

As it happens, I prefer a rather cool vape too, which I have no problem admitting. I cannot fathom the shallowness and immaturity of the kids who believe that vaping is a reproductive organ measuring contest.

Haha rotflmao!!!!! You just explained the john Holmes ... I mean the 26650 tube steaks/mods.
One of my friends from high school only uses mechs(regulated mod folk and mech mod folk CAN get along) and he had just gotten some huge 26650 the other day with a ginormous drop tip. I'll admit it; I was shallow and had a huge laugh at his expense, he was a good sport about it though.

Back to being serious,
You right, and the reasons the prothingu gets mocked are the very reasons i like it. It's a damn work horse. And a good one at that.

Eta: in the spirit of the way this thread as developed I ended up getting my first mech. This morning. No, it will not replace my provari/kfun; but, it will have its place with my gear.
Truthfully- I did it; because, I started to do my own juice and it's easier to taste it using a few drops with a dripper than filling up my kfun

Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Norway
www.steam-engine.org
I have a couple of mechs myself, and a Valkyrie clone on order. Horses for courses, and all that. Dripping on a mech certainly has its charms, but personally I don't find it particularly practical.

One day I'll get myself a bottom feeder of some sort, preferably a regulated one. Too bad there is no indication that the P3 will boast squonking capabilities. ;) A Sunbox Skynet would have been an option, but to me it's not worth that kind of money.

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
I have a couple of mechs myself, and a Valkyrie clone on order. Horses for courses, and all that. Dripping on a mech certainly has its charms, but personally I don't find it particularly practical.

One day I'll get myself a bottom feeder of some sort, preferably a regulated one. Too bad there is no indication that the P3 will boast squonking capabilities. ;) A Sunbox Skynet would have been an option, but to me it's not worth that kind of money.

I've always thought it but never felt to be able to say it; granted I have and will still drop on my
P-thingies. But, that's was never its intended purpose. Setting the patriot at 0.4 ohm and cranking up the mech is a totally different vaping experience than the kfun on the p-thingie.
Is it better? No, not to me. I do and will always prefer my p-thingie; but it's nice to change it
Up once I'm a while. That's why successful people get secretaries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There is no person on this forum who is a bigger supporter of the Provari than myself (I've been called a shill for Provape by two people on ECF, and they seem to stalk my posts intentionally to say so). No bones about it, a KFL+ on a Provari is my ultimate vape. (PBusardo says the same thing)

Having said that, I began dripping on a rebuildable RDA @ 0.5 ohm dual microcoil about 2 weeks ago on my rarely used Silver Bullet. I kinda understand the cloud chasing now. The flavor is no better than what I get on my KFL+, but the volume and density of the vapor is beyond compare. It is satisfying in its own way.

There. I said it for all of those haters. I use a mech with a sub-ohm coil. Is it better than my Provari/KFL+ combo. No it is not. It's a pain to carry a bottle of juice with me everywhere and have to drip every six draws. I much prefer the convenience of a tank.

Last edited:

Firestorm

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Chicagoland
There is no person on this forum who is a bigger supporter of the Provari than myself (I've been called a shill for Provape by two people on ECF, and they seem to stalk my posts intentionally to say so). No bones about it, a KFL+ on a Provari is my ultimate vape. (PBusardo says the same thing)

Having said that, I began dripping on a rebuildable RDA @ 0.5 ohm dual microcoil about 2 weeks ago on my rarely used Silver Bullet. I kinda understand the cloud chasing now. The flavor is no better than what I get on my KFL+, but the volume and density of the vapor is beyond compare. It is satisfying in its own way.

There. I said it for all of those haters. I use a mech with a sub-ohm coil. Is it better than my Provari/KFL+ combo. No it is not. It's a pain to carry a bottle of juice with me everywhere and have to drip every six draws. I much prefer the convenience of a tank.

Evolution my friend, you can't fight it.

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
Has anyone else noticed that often, the biggest haters are people who also champion clones? (btw, as that's another flash point - I personally have nothing against clones, as long as the logo is left off)

I run my Provari/Russian at .85 and 2.9 - 3.1 volts as my standard setup. Eight wraps of 26 gauge around a 3/32 bit just about won't fit in the chimney, and about gives me the largest surface area I get in the tank, whilst giving me a good all day vape.

I find upping the resistance and power makes it a little hotter, and that gives me vaper's tongue (I vape heaviest at work, I just chain vape away when confronted with a difficult fault to isolate.

I also drip around .45 - and I know many who do the same. I think it's a popular level. Any lower, and I seem to sacrifice flavor for vapor production. Even with a quad coil setup

Last edited:

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014

Amen, Bad! How have ya been sensai?

soba1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 27, 2013
Van Nuys Ca., USA
You know why I am glad I bought a Provari.
A while back a guy posted that he was riding his motorcycle.
His Provari fell out of his pack, on to the road.
He pulled over to get his Provari, as he was doing so
a car ran over it. Of course the tank was done. He
replaced the tank the Provari still worked, thats why I am
glad I bought a Provari. Not to mention they stand behind their
product 1 or 2 yr warranty; after the warranty you can send it
in for repairs. Ya gets what ya pay for.........................

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have had a lot of interest in getting a Provari. Like a lot of you I had decided to wait on the v3. Talked to a rep at Provape trying to gain some info particularly if it will have vw and what the max output will be. Very secretive on details but said they were still in the prototype stage of testing and probably would be for the next several months. Said that release of a sellable device could be as much as a year. Sooooo I ordered a v2.5 today. :) Hope I made the right decision!!

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
I have had a lot of interest in getting a Provari. Like a lot of you I had decided to wait on the v3. Talked to a rep at Provape trying to gain some info particularly if it will have vw and what the max output will be. Very secretive on details but said they were still in the prototype stage of testing and probably would be for the next several months. Said that release of a sellable device could be as much as a year. Sooooo I ordered a v2.5 today. :) Hope I made the right decision!!

Congratulations!!!! And welcome to the family- as dysfunctional as we may be it's still the family!

There is not doubt you made the right decision. The 2.5 is not going anywhere. It's the most reliable, accurate, durable and easiest mod available. That will not change!
If you had a desire for it there is no doubt that you will love it!!!!
Congrats again!!

1.21 gigawatts!!!

Last edited:

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
I recieved my first Provari yesterday. I got it from the ecf classifieds. She's a used mini, version 2, I think. She has tear drop shaped dimples and Provari mini is printed, not engraved. This old girl has apparently been dropped a time or two. Which is fine with me, I have dropped a few PVs myself.

After 24 hours of use, I can say I really like it. There is plenty of power for my everyday kayfun builds, which are around 1.5 - 1.8 ohm vaped between 3.6 - 4.2 volts. I do occasionally like to vape at higher power levels, with dual coil tanks and RDAs. So, I am very interested to learn what Pro Vape has planed for the V3. Even more so, now that I have experienced the smooth power output, of the older version, I currently have.

The biggest thing on my wish list is a lightweight version, made of titanium or high grade aluminum. Even this mini is a little heavy around my neck. I would also like to see a higher amp limit which, would subsequently lower the ohm limit. I'm not talking about a 10 amp limit here but, 5+ amps would be nice.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I use a ProVape-1 for out and about use. It is significantly lighter and thinner than a Mini, although it is longer than the Mini in 18350 mode and shorter than the Mini in 19490 mode.

2a7ed5v.jpg

jimho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
New York
Welcome to the club guys....

While I wait for a V3.... It's been a while since I posted anything of substance...

Here's a long term road test of my 3 Provaris - probably longer than anyone else:

I got my first provari in November 2010- as part of the original beta. I picked up a chrome about 6 months later (both V1), then a mini (V2) about 2 years ago.... I mostly use the mini with a 18490 ... and drip... Since I drop it or knock it over at least 3x a day, tanks just don't work for me.

The two V1's have gone back for upgrades-
The original was upgraded 2x; once from the beta, once to a V2.5 board and once when I slammed it on the ground, popping the cap off along with the board and breaking the switch.
The Chrome has only been back once for an upgrade to a V2.5 board.

The mini started out as black. I use it the most and l drop it the most. It's been upgraded from the original mini board to a V2.5, and it's been repaired a couple of times as well -
Explanation:
first repair: After about a year and a half, the black paint looked like hell- so I took it apart, and using 180 grit wet rsand paper, followed by 320 grit, I wet sanded it to a brushed stainless finish... Putting it back together, I didn't glue the board in right and it shorted a few weeks later-
second repair: I dropped it on the atty at some weird angle; the cap popped off and the board popped out- I put it back together and used the same low temp glue gun and crappy glue to hold the board in- it shorted out a few weeks later.....

So, you can break them ... if you try .... hard....

Are they worth it? Sure were to me....

Are there fancier, gadgets out there in the same price range? Yes...
Are they better? unless you need more than 6V or 2.5 amps, they're just different.

Then ask yourself about support.... and read my road test....
QED

Nautilusfan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to the club guys....

While I wait for a V3.... It's been a while since I posted anything of substance...

Here's a long term road test of my 3 Provaris - probably longer than anyone else:

I got my first provari in November 2010- as part of the original beta. I picked up a chrome aboutO 6 months later (both V1), then a mini (V2) about 2 years ago.... I mostly use the mini with a 18490 ... and drip... Since I drop it or knock it over at least 3x a day, tanks just don't work for me.

The two V1's have gone back for upgrades-
The original was upgraded 2x; once from the beta, once to a V2.5 board and once when I slammed it on the ground, popping the cap off along with the board and breaking the switch.
The Chrome has only been back once for an upgrade to a V2.5 board.

The mini started out as black. I use it the most and l drop it the most. It's been upgraded from the original mini board to a V2.5, and it's been repaired a couple of times as well -
Explanation:
first repair: After about a year and a half, the black paint looked like hell- so I took it apart, and using 180 grit wet rsand paper, followed by 320 grit, I wet sanded it to a brushed stainless finish... Putting it back together, I didn't glue the board in right and it shorted a few weeks later-
second repair: I dropped it on the atty at some weird angle; the cap popped off and the board popped out- I put it back together and used the same low temp glue gun and crappy glue to hold the board in- it shorted out a few weeks later.....

So, you can break them ... if you try .... hard....

Are they worth it? Sure were to me....

Are there fancier, gadgets out there in the same price range? Yes...
Are they better? unless you need more than 6V or 2.5 amps, they're just different.

Then ask yourself about support.... and read my road test....
QED

Your experience with Provaris and others similar experiences is the very reason I went on and pulled the trigger on a v2.5 rather than wait for the V3. I knew I'd want at least 2 eventually :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread