Not open for further replies.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
flat tops don't work.. some put a spacer but that's risky if it dislodges in the tube...
I have IMR 18500 flat top batteries that are from nhaler and are charged to 4.19v. I just got a ProVari in a trade and it's not turning on. WTF is going on. Does this thing only work with button tops??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Vape360

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Monroe, WA
www.ProVape.com
It's working now!!! :toast:
I used this spring I ripped out of the that failed v-tube thing and put it on the top of the battery. IT WORKS!!!!!!!

Hi Scott,

I would recommend getting some AW high drain batteries. Anything that sits on top of the battery is prone to short out and cause failure which is not covered by the warranty. If the spring slips you could be in trouble. Best to just get the correct batteries, it will save you a headache and cost in the long run :)

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
if your protected Li ion or IMR 18650 is not getting good contact, it may be a flat top which is NOT advisable... do you have button top? if so then you should contact Provape... they'll fix it up in a flash.
I find that after using my Provaris for several months, I was having issues with good battery contact. I have since started using a small rare earth magnet on top of the battery and this cleared up the problem. Could it be the spring?

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
As the previous poster said, definitely only use button-top IMR type batteries. Also, you can pull the spring back out a bit to see if that helps, and scrape/swab the inner positive battery connection until it is shiny. Apparently, as batteries are put back in and the endcap is screwed on, the battery can arc to the positive terminal and cause a little oxidizing that needs cleaning off.

Good luck!

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
I bought the batteries from Provape when I bought the Provari so, yes, they are button tops. I have 2 Provari and both are acting this way. I have seen that Provape now sells an "improved" spring so this is why I asked.....

I have cleaned the contact inside as well. Also have cleaned the battery ends. The only thing that seems to work is the magnet which extends the battery a bit (makes it longer)

Last edited:

MonsterKenny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
dublin ohio
www.provape.com
Typically the only thing that is in the path is the spring and the battery contact. Make sure the tops of your batteries are clean, they can build up grime so make sure all the contact points are clean.

I would recommend against the magnets as this can cause issues and could short out the unit and void the warranty.

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
Typically the only thing that is in the path is the spring and the battery contact. Make sure the tops of your batteries are clean, they can build up grime so make sure all the contact points are clean.

I would recommend against the magnets as this can cause issues and could short out the unit and void the warranty.

OK, you have the Provari avi......and you still have not answered my question......

Why is the battery not making good contact now???? I clean the internal contact. I clean the battery contacts....nothing works except for the magnet (which is the same size as the button on the end of the battery). IS THE ORIGINAL SPRING WEAK AND IS THIS WHY YOU OFFER AN "IMPROVED" SPRING ON YOUR WEBSITE!

Or should I just sell these defective units and get something that works???? And never look at Provari again?

I don't like being chided like a child ESPECIALLY by a rep of the maker of said device! And getting no answers! If I remove the magnet, then I may as well toss both Provari into a drawer as they will NOT work and become useless!

Last edited:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
OK, you have the Provari avi......and you still have not answered my question......

Why is the battery not making good contact now???? I clean the internal contact. I clean the battery contacts....nothing works except for the magnet (which is the same size as the button on the end of the battery). IS THE ORIGINAL SPRING WEAK AND IS THIS WHY YOU OFFER AN "IMPROVED" SPRING ON YOUR WEBSITE!

Or should I just sell these defective units and get something that works???? And never look at Provari again?

I don't like being chided like a child ESPECIALLY by a rep of the maker of said device! And getting no answers! If I remove the magnet, then I may as well toss both Provari into a drawer as they will NOT work and become useless!
I would try to stretch the spring by simply pulling on it from the cap. If it pulls off, just stretch it a little and put it back together and see if that helps.

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
While I didn't see a specific answer to your question on springs, I also didn't see them chiding you like a child.

I'm sure if you decide to list your ProVari's in the classifieds, there would be plenty of folks who are willing to put up with those defective units...

I wonder what's going on this week, people seem to be on really short fuses for some reason.

MonsterKenny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
dublin ohio
www.provape.com
Hogie,

I’m sorry you feel this way, I was just trying to make some suggestions because normally this is not a issue. Your device has the latest spring, and the reason we offer springs is because sometimes people lose their spring and need a replacement. This same spring has been used for over a year now, so I don’t think you have a bad spring.

If you would like to arrange for us to take a look at the device we would be happy to. Please contact: Cecilia@ProVape.com and arrange for this.

Kindly,
Ken

narcosleepygirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle
Hi Scottinboca,

You are correct. As part of our reverse battery protection, we have recessed the battery contact pin so that only button top batteries will work in the ProVari. We also DO NOT recommend using magnets with the batteries as this can produce a hard short and fry the circuit board if you're not careful.

narcosleepygirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle
Hi Hogie,

It is possible that the glue used to hold the circuit board in place has come loose and allowed the circuit board to shift upwards. If this is the case, it will hinder contact with the battery.

The way you can tell is by looking at the display window head on and level and look to see if the display has shifted in one direction. Usually, when there is a severe enough shift, you can see the edge of the black box that sits just below the display.

If this is the case, it will need to come in so it can be reseated and glued back into place. Please email us at either info@provape.com or you can email me directly at Cecilia@provape.com. We can then work on having you send it in.

Also, even our improved spring, which we have been using for over a year, can become compressed from constant use. It may have a thicker diameter but the constant pressure against the battery will still cause compression.

You can stretch this spring out and it will work well again, or you can buy a new one if you find the stretching technique isn't lasting very long.

When you stretch it out, please make sure to hold the base of the spring so it doesn't pop out of the end cap. Try and stretch it about an eighth of an inch or so.

I have to do this with my spring on occasion and I have the newer spring in it. I do it when I start to feel a weird wiggle/clunk in the tube when I push the button, or when I move my Vari rapidly and the light flashes. Always fixes the problem for me :)

Last edited:

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
Sorry, I was having a bad day......

Both my Provari are over a year and a half old. The board does not look like it has shifted.....so I am at a loss as to why I am having this problem. I have some longer Trustfire 18650 batteries that I had not used in the Provari because they are just a tad bit longer and the endcap will not screw on all the way....or at least never used to.....now I can put them in and the endcap seats.

Has there been a problem with the spring compressing and needing to be stretched?

MonsterKenny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2009
dublin ohio
www.provape.com
Hogie,
If you trustfire batteries fit now, it sounds like your spring has become compressed. I'd say try to stretch it out till the batteries fit again and fire, do not use too much tension because you can risk the spring coming out of the end cap, but if it does come out it can be put back in with a little bit of effort.
Honestly, not very often but it does happen, like all other vapers, i have other mods and i have some compressed springs in them, so honestly its just springs just lose strength over time, and the newer spring we include in all the newer Provaris have this spring and we tested them to be the strongest we can find yet.

Hope this helps,
Ken

narcosleepygirl

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2010
Seattle
Yes, the spring can compress after constant use. I got my satin black 'Vari in March this year and I've had to stretch the spring about 3-4 times since getting it.

We also sell a cleaning maintenance kit online that has long handled q-tips, 99% isopropyl alcohol and two new springs. It might be a good idea to get this. Then you'll have the equipment needed to maintain the ProVari and swap out the springs if and when they get old.

The Old Phil

Verified Member
Aug 29, 2012
France
Hi there, I'm a happy owner of a provari mini and I am looking for an excuse to buy another one.

Do you have any plans to release a VW V3 in the foreseeable future? It really makes life easier when one has several reconstructibles which never have the same resistance (I personally like to switch atos for different flavors during the day).

Also any plans to re-release chrome-looking proivaris? I beleive you weren't satisfied with the quality of the coating, but they do look incredibly sleek with many atos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread