Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I don't want to start a forum war about which one is "better". I've read flame wars go back an forth and I don't want this thread to dissolve into that. I'm just asking a simple "numbers" question.

The Provari is mentioned to be the "holy grail" of mod's. I even watched pbusardo's review on you tube and he said "I get it now".

One thing that impressed me with the Provari is it's ability to keep it's voltage output consistent throughout it's entire discharge cycle. I watched as the Provari hit it's set voltage right before it cut out. That alone is amazing.

I have the itaste vv 3.0 and chose it because it is variable voltage and variable wattage. I figured that it would act similarly, but I do seem to detect a loss of power as it discharges.

Has anyone put a itaste vv 3.0 or MVP 2.0 on the scope and monitored it's output over the discharge cycle?

If these batteries do "sag" during the discharge cycle, then the voltage regulation alone appears to put the Provari in a league of it's own.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I dont own a provari but I have used one for several weeks. Ive also used the vamo, mvp, zmax and more. The provari is the only mod ive ever used that has no noticeable voltage drop as thr battery dies. Every other mod ive used has a noticeable drop.

That alone will make me put away some of the money I'm saving on smokes so I can pick up the Provari.

devauto

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
NoVA
I have never owned, or used, either a Provari or an MVP. My experience is based on my iTaste VV V3. I have noticed in VV mode that there does appear to be a noticeable drop as the battery discharges, however, I have not seen it happen in VW mode. In VW mode, the iTaste "seems" to stay consistent until the end, of course I have NOT put it on a scope or checked it in any way other than direct observation and usage. For me, this puts the iTaste at the top of the list, as I use VW pretty exclusively, and I can purchase 6 of them for the price of a Provari.

I'm not trying to talk bad about the Provari, however, economics are very important to me, and over the next 2-3 years, I suspect there will be more mods coming out that will be competitive with the Provari. I can afford to use my iTaste, and replace it several times, while I wait and watch.

Just my :2c: on the topic, and as always ... YMMV!

HTH

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
The evolv kick 2 on a mechanical and the Provari both give excellent consistent vape throughout the life cycle of the battery. That was one of the main reasons I chose the Provari as my first regulated advanced personal vaporizer. Also the reason I chose the kick 2 when I went mechanical, better power management, accepts builds from .5-3 ohms and adjustable from 5-15 watts. The SvoëMesto would be my other choice for a regulated mod. As good, if not better, as a Provari. But since it is not American made, service work on it would be more difficult.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
p.opus said:
Has anyone put a itaste vv 3.0 or MVP 2.0 on the scope and monitored it's output over the discharge cycle?

If these batteries do "sag" during the discharge cycle, then the voltage regulation alone appears to put the Provari in a league of it's own.

PBusardo has put both the iTaste VV 3.0 and the MVP on the oscelloscope to measure their PWM cycles.

PBusardo iTaste VV 3.0 Review @ 26 minute mark.

PBusardo iTaste MVP 2.0 Review @ 13 minute mark.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
Both the MVP2 and the VV3 drop in voltage over time, I own both. I do not notice it on the MVP2 because of it's insane battery life, it took me 1.5 days to notice a drop in power, I just plug it in every night. Either mod running in VV or VW mode is the same, the mod is just doing the math in VW mode from the other side of the equation in order to pick the voltage for you.

I cannot comment on the provari, it is on my list to buy because ZOMBIE EDITION! But for $39.99 you cannot beat the MVP2, I was concerned that I would not care for the whole "box mod" thing but it fits in my hand nicely and is actually a smaller square than my iphone. It rides in the pocket nicely. :)

As for what is actually better, that would be personal preference, this is a highly subjective pastime. My long money would go on the provari to win, my short money is really happy with the MVP2.

Innokin iTaste MVP V2.0 - 101 Vape

wonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2013
USA
I own an MVP2 and a ProVari with a Z-Atty Pro.

In my 4+ years of vaping, nothing compares to the ProVari with the Z-Atty Pro.

But, if you replace the Z-Atty Pro with a conventional tank, carto, etc., the decision is much more difficult because the benefits aren't as great and the price difference is substantial.

At the moment, I feel the ProVari is still the best APV on the market, but there is competition and not everyone will like the price.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
PBusardo has put both the iTaste VV 3.0 and the MVP on the oscelloscope to measure their PWM cycles.

PBusardo iTaste VV 3.0 Review @ 26 minute mark.

PBusardo iTaste MVP 2.0 Review @ 13 minute mark.

I've seen both of his reviews and his scope. But I assumed this is only on a fully charged unit. It was only on the Provari where he constantly showed the unit putting out consistent voltage irregardless of discharge state, which is what I am interested in.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Yes ... a Provari is a good PV, and worth what they cost. No ... the Provari is not the only show in town. Just remember that YOU are the only person that your PV has to satisfy.

Some mentioned the Kick as being just as good. Matter of fact I've been using one this morning instead of my Provari.
    BUT
    Silver Bullet = $85
    Kick sleeve = $25
    Kick = $45

Provari = $159

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
    Senior Moderator
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2011
    OP asking a specific question-

"Has anyone put a itaste vv 3.0 or MVP 2.0 on the scope and monitored it's output over the discharge cycle?

If these batteries do "sag" during the discharge cycle, then the voltage regulation alone appears to put the Provari in a league of it's own."

Impulso

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2013
    Rocklin, ca
    I own an MVP 2 and it's great when the battery lasts. There are quite a few posts about the fact that MVP puts out nearly identical voltages as the provari, but without the benefit of the same output voltage through the life of the battery. The provari uses an 800hz signal and the MVP does not use the cheaper 33hz signal that most other mods use. The provari is also on my wish list but am holding out a little bit until the sale that is supposedly happening later this year?

pbasardo does put these on a scope so those links above should provide the exact answer you are looking for.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    OP asking a specific question-

"Has anyone put a itaste vv 3.0 or MVP 2.0 on the scope and monitored it's output over the discharge cycle?

If these batteries do "sag" during the discharge cycle, then the voltage regulation alone appears to put the Provari in a league of it's own."

The answer to that is to look at the "output signal" in Phil's review. You will notice that they are not the 33.3hz PWM chip set that is so notorious for voltage sag. They both are using a different chip set that should not sag as badly. However that does not mean that they won't sag at all. So ... better, but still not the best.

Last edited:

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
    Mar 18, 2013
    Bristol, CT
    As all three of these really are ideal for different reasons, I am not speaking form a "better or worse" aspect.

The iTaste 3.0 simply is too small a battery to effectively hold its output despite the circuitry designed to do so and you may indeed notice a small (not major) drop off as the battery depletes.

The Provari's well-deserved claim to fame is that it simply is built to a very high standard, which to an extent justifies the lofty price tag. It is not really an up to date device in terms of features, but for many the great build quality alone is worth the price.

The MVP 2 may be a great choice as it matches the iTaste 3.0 features, but with a 2600mah battery, keeps a more constant "hit" throughout its run time.

I have and use both the iTaste 3.0 as well as the MVP 2, and they are both great devices. The iTaste 3.0 is simply a more "carryable" device for me, but the MVP 2 I prefer for its great all-day plus run time.

Don't have a Provari, but have used one and they are indeed nicely crafted mods!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread