Provari...why do people get uptight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Some of us (American members) avoid Chinese made products anytime there is a viable American made option. Hell, I'll even buy an American product if it is exactly the same quality, performance and appearance as a chinese version, for twice the price.

If you love Walmart and Kia Accents because you value saving a buck over what you're getting and where your money is going, then the ProVari may not be for you. But at least consider some of the other lesser American made mods. There is a reason they will ALWAYS cost more than Chinese mods. Worker conditions being the main one. I'd rather support an industry that treats it's workers fairly, even at the cost of paying a little more of my own hard earned money.

But, YMMV.

I'm in england. If you couldn't get a Provari from the usa for some unlikely reason and found you could get one from england, would you pay the price they charge here ?.

KrisAinTX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Central Texas
The idea that American manufacturing is somehow better than Chinese manufacturing is either coming from people who don't understand the field, or coming from people who are resentful. China builds stuff the exact same way that we do. The vaunted American-made is a creature of the past, dead for 20 years or more.

That being said, there are quality Chinese manufacturers and there are cheap Chinese manufacturers. The problem with buying Chinese as that it really is hit or miss. The Chinese government keeps such a tight lid on the internet and communications that it's tough to get reliable information to make a well-researched decision.

If you want to play it safe, buy a Provari. If you're an American, you've got the added benefit of supporting an American company that provides American jobs and pays American taxes.

If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Buy an SVD or Vamo or ZMax or MVP or whatever and replace it 6 months or a year from now when you can afford the $50 or $60 again.

This is a fruitless argument. It's the difference between folks who smoked Marlboros and folks who smoked budget brands. Some people have the money, or can justify it in their own minds, and some folks don't have the money or can't justify spending it on that device.

That being said - the Provari is a bit outdated at this point. Variable wattage is needed just to keep up with the APV market. Someone should poke Provape and get them on board... I haven't bought a Provari yet, and it's for exactly that reason. I don't lack the funds, but for that price it better be either a beautiful mech, or a VV/VW device of the highest quality.

Just my :2c:

PapaGeno21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2013
RI
We get the false notion that because many of the topics on ECF deal with mods that this is what most people are using. More vapors are using cigalikes and egos around the world than mods by a large margin.

This is true with just about everything. Most of the people I have seen vaping are just using an ego battery with some sort of CE4 clearo they paid 50 bucks for at the store. They have no idea what is really out there to use. However some people are just fine using those things. My girl loves her Kanger evod battery and evod clearo. I personally don't care for that setup at all and love my mods.

This happens on every forum you have. I am big into car audio, and the nut hugging there is bad. People will straight out bash you if you aren't running top of the line equipment. Now personally I do run the good stuff but I don't care for bashing the people who don't. The internet forums give you a false sense of reality as to what 90% of the rest of the population is still using. Most people I run into and give demos too with my system have never even HEARD of what I am using. Then I direct them to the forums and the cycle continues.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    some.jpg ......................

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    This is true with just about everything. Most of the people I have seen vaping are just using an ego battery with some sort of CE4 clearo they paid 50 bucks for at the store. They have no idea what is really out there to use. However some people are just fine using those things. My girl loves her Kanger evod battery and evod clearo. I personally don't care for that setup at all and love my mods.

This happens on every forum you have. I am big into car audio, and the nut hugging there is bad. People will straight out bash you if you aren't running top of the line equipment. Now personally I do run the good stuff but I don't care for bashing the people who don't. The internet forums give you a false sense of reality as to what 90% of the rest of the population is still using. Most people I run into and give demos too with my system have never even HEARD of what I am using. Then I direct them to the forums and the cycle continues.

As i understand it, when a man on the street hears "electronic cigarette" they think of just that. A small electric device that looks like a cigarette. No one seems to want to know, no one ive spoken too anyway, about what's out there. They don't even know about all the hundreds of flavours either. An advert on the tv would display the cigarette type devices, so public awareness of what's available is non existent. I've never seen any advertisements for anything other than cigarette type devices in england.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    I believe that China is capable of manufacturing quality products.

But in the VV arena currently there isn't a device being manufactured that is not either Hit or Miss Quality and that you can be certain will last a year of regular use.

From my experience that's the way it is in October of 2013.

Please note that I've qualified this post with "Variable Volt ""Certain it will last a year of regular use"

I believe it is also inarguable that the Provari has an almost infinitesimal defect rate in the first year.

The idea that American manufacturing is somehow better than Chinese manufacturing is either coming from people who don't understand the field, or coming from people who are resentful. China builds stuff the exact same way that we do. The vaunted American-made is a creature of the past, dead for 20 years or more.

That being said, there are quality Chinese manufacturers and there are cheap Chinese manufacturers. The problem with buying Chinese as that it really is hit or miss. The Chinese government keeps such a tight lid on the internet and communications that it's tough to get reliable information to make a well-researched decision.

If you want to play it safe, buy a Provari. If you're an American, you've got the added benefit of supporting an American company that provides American jobs and pays American taxes.

If you can't afford one, don't buy one. Buy an SVD or Vamo or ZMax or MVP or whatever and replace it 6 months or a year from now when you can afford the $50 or $60 again.

This is a fruitless argument. It's the difference between folks who smoked Marlboros and folks who smoked budget brands. Some people have the money, or can justify it in their own minds, and some folks don't have the money or can't justify spending it on that device.

That being said - the Provari is a bit outdated at this point. Variable wattage is needed just to keep up with the APV market. Someone should poke Provape and get them on board... I haven't bought a Provari yet, and it's for exactly that reason. I don't lack the funds, but for that price it better be either a beautiful mech, or a VV/VW device of the highest quality.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 27, 2011
    somewhere

5 watts is 5 watts,10 watts is 10 watts etc..... I have both a Provari and a Darwin, both vape identical. The whole VV vs VW is all marketing.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    ProVari owners seem to catch the blame for getting ...... but look at the d-bags who feel the need to point out how stupid we are. More often than not, someone looking for advice for a starter mod gets steered toward a Vamo or an MVP or any other affordable Chinese mod. The suggestions often come from us...the Provari owners. We don't slam people for buying Vamos... we retaliate against those who attack us for having ProVaris. I started with a Vamo...I'm pretty sure Baditude helped narrow the choices down for me. He never said I needed a ProVari. When I wanted to upgrade, and let me assure you, IT IS AN UPGRADE, he explained why a ProVari would be a good investment. If you want ProVari owners to stop getting heated, make all the haters pay 10 bucks for every stupid unresearched comment.

Grateful4jerry

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 4, 2013
    Wasatch mtns
    I really want to get a provari based on how well its built and how accurate it is as far as what I am hearing about it. What I do not understand though is why when someone makes a statement that it is overpriced or there are mods just as good and far cheaper, all the heat that someone has to take.

I thought people have a right to give an opinion. God forbid I purchase one and give a negative review on it...Will people be in front of my house with torches...????????????
    Looks like you got some answers and a perfect example of what you were refering to. Better keep your address a secret incase you don't like it! :)

Heartisan

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2010
    North Cali
    I LOVE my Provari, and it's what I vape on 80% of the time. There are drawbacks, the main one being weight - which has already been
    mentioned. I settled on the Provari because I owned 7 different mods before taking the plunge. I know, that's not something a
    rational person does, but I got really into vaping and couldn't find a mod that met my requirements.

The ability to change the vaping temp was the main reason I ordered it. The reliability is why I prefer it. My Buzz's are fine, but since they
    travel around with me - I've had to have each repaired numerous times. ***Only once was it a faulty switch! The rest were ALL my fault.
    From dropping in a parking lot, one fell in a dog's water dish, once I forget to turn off and my purse burnt it out, etc.
    There are A LOT of cheaper VV alternatives out now - sorry, been awhile since I've been on here, don't recall names. But, they do have a tendency to break.

The BEST PV is the one that keeps your nicotine cravings under control, and that you can afford. I've gotten a lot of friends off cigs with Egos
    And they're still happy with them. :)

John_

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 22, 2013
    Riverside, California, USA
    From what I understand from reviews and reading threads (never owned or tested a provari myself) for the entire voltage range of a provari, when you set it at X voltage, it will fire that voltage assuming the resistance of the attached device is within the provari's limits. Now a lot of devices are variable voltage but the majority do not actually give you the set voltage except in a couple of combinations, now some are only a couple hundredths or maybe a tenth of of a volt off but a provari is EXACTLY the right voltage every time. The "overpriced" mod is not insanely expensive, you are just paying for extremely high quality relative to the other vv devices on the market.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    The Clock Barrens, Fillory
    Just jumping in, excuse me for not reading all the posts yet.

Certainly people are entitled to their opinion about a product. What annoys me are members who start threads asking why people like ProVaris and when the owners respond, we are told that we are saying it's good only to justify spending too much money. If someone gets one and it turns out not to be quite what they wanted, no problem. But if they don't have one, I resent being told I'm a status-seeker or fell for hype. It's not my only mod. Do you ever see ProVari owners start threads asking what's so great about XXX and then putting down owners who post why they are happy? I don't pass judgement on what other people vape, why do they feel the need to pass judgement over one of my mod choices.

And on the same topic - it seems to be a right of passage or something for some members to go on threads in the ProVari sub-forum just to state they will never get a ProVari and proceed to post everything they don't like about it. Why? Don't they have anything better to do?

Last edited:

klynnn

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 20, 2012
    prattville
    After I got on this forum all I heard about was how wonderful the provari was. So of course I had to get one, it's become almost a rite of passage. Yes it works well, yes the build quality is good, innovation meh leaves a bit to be desired. They should get VW and have ego threading and more for the cost. To be honest I use my provari to check ohms on my coils. It is reliable but I could have spent a lot less for a multimeter.

AngiBe

Vapeaholic
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2013
    Indy, IN
    I really want to get a provari based on how well its built and how accurate it is as far as what I am hearing about it. What I do not understand though is why when someone makes a statement that it is overpriced or there are mods just as good and far cheaper, all the heat that someone has to take.

I thought people have a right to give an opinion. God forbid I purchase one and give a negative review on it...Will people be in front of my house with torches...????????????

I guess your question is somewhat convoluted. If you've done your research and decided to purchase a ProVari, it's YOUR money..who cares what people say or think. If it didn't work for you, which honestly I cannot think as to why it wouldn't, at least you personally tried it and have an actual opinion.

The problem with the naysayers, or at least 99% of them, feel they need to throw out their opinion without ever even owning a ProVari. That is where the problem lies in. So in turn, those who actually OWN them defend a product that has proven customer satisfaction. I chose to purchase a ProVari based upon my own research, customer satisfaction, a USA made product and because I wanted to invest in a mod.

My investment will last years while others may last months. I cannot speak for other mods, never owned them and as far as I know the other mods may dance and play jingle bells. I can only speak for my ProVari which I'm extremely happy with and well worth my investment. ProVape's customer service has been outstanding! They answered my email questions in less than 24 hours and my ProVari was at my front door in three days.

So do what is comfortable to you and I'm sure whatever you choose, as long as you stay off analogs, your goal has been met.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    :facepalm:!
    Let me ask this, if Provape started making mech mods would they charge customers up for it because it is made by them and they now have a good reputation ?. Or Provape don't make mech mods because they know no one would pay the price they would want !. How could Provape make a mech mod that would be worth as much as a Provari ?.

I'm confused by this analogy, I'm sorry. Are you saying something like if Mercedes started making refrigerators would they charge more because they are made by Mercedes? Or the reason Mercedes doesn't make refrigerators is because no one would pay the asking price, since how could Mercedes make a refrigerator that costs as much as a car?

Have you priced high-end mechanicals recently? ProVape makes VV mods. That is their market and they are successful. Why should they enter a market that already has established manufacturers?

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    After I got on this forum all I heard about was how wonderful the provari was. So of course I had to get one, it's become almost a rite of passage. Yes it works well, yes the build quality is good, innovation meh leaves a bit to be desired. They should get VW and have ego threading and more for the cost. To be honest I use my provari to check ohms on my coils. It is reliable but I could have spent a lot less for a multimeter.

Have you considered selling it in the classys? It doesn't take long to get verified and they hold their value. If you sold it you could buy lots of multimeters.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread