Prudential life insurance and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnieye

Aug 2, 2011
USA
Hello everyone, I recently read an article on the internet that said Prudential sells life insurance policies for vapers at rates similar to non smoker rates. Does anyone have any real life experience with them recently ? I would love to hear from anyone who recently obtained a life insurance policy with them ( or any other company ) and got a rate that better than smokers rate. I have searched these forums, but could not find anything more recent than 2013.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I have no life insurance purchasing experience. I experienced the question on my health insurance policy, I read very carefully the definition of "smoker" and "use of tobacco". I am, by their definition, a non-smoker. Read very carefully the definitions section. I had to wait a full year to qualify because, at renewal time, I had not yet met the company defined time frame to qualify as a non-smoker.
Get a copy of the policy including definitions and exclusions. I have a legal background so I was comfortable with my decisions, if you are not comfortable then a short legal consultation could save your family, economically, at your death. Peace of mind and certainty could be money well spent. You may save some money if you show up at the consultation with the complete document in your hand for the contract review.
Take care with opinions stated here - including this one.
I hope you find this helpful.
CMD

fitzinthewindow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2015
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Interesting question. I have often wondered exactly the same thing. For example, I am curious how the insurance companies would rate an individual who was not a smoker, but was on "nicotine therapy" for a long time--like the patch, gum, etc. I know several people who haven't smoked for years, but are completely "hooked" on nicotine gum. I wonder how they are rated.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Interesting question. I have often wondered exactly the same thing. For example, I am curious how the insurance companies would rate an individual who was not a smoker, but was on "nicotine therapy" for a long time--like the patch, gum, etc. I know several people who haven't smoked for years, but are completely "hooked" on nicotine gum. I wonder how they are rated.

Read the policy, definitions and exclusions.

Reactions: Rossum

Scottitude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2010
Metro Detroit
scottitude.net
I'm not familiar with Prudential but I can tell you that more often than not, in the eyes of insurance carriers nicotine = tobacco = smoker. Period.

They classify nicotine users as smokers and assess a tobacco surcharge, significantly increasing your premiums.

Those carriers with policies that state otherwise are the exception.

Insurance carriers test for cotinine, a nicotine alkaloid, rather than actual carcinogens or CO (carbon monoxide).

It's BS and a scam but that's how it is.

Reactions: catlady60

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I'm not familiar with Prudential but I can tell you that more often than not, in the eyes of insurance carriers nicotine = tobacco = smoker. Period.

They classify nicotine users as smokers and assess a tobacco surcharge, significantly increasing your premiums.

Those carriers with policies that state otherwise are the exception.

Insurance carriers test for cotinine, a nicotine alkaloid, rather than actual carcinogens or CO (carbon monoxide).

It's BS and a scam but that's how it is.

Read the policy, the definitions and exclusions and beware of opinions stated here.

Reactions: Bad Ninja

dimo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
I don't have prudential as I have State Farm. If you test positive for nicotine with them, you get the higher premium (smoker rate). Doesn't matter if you smoke or not.

As far as they are concerned, they cannot prove if you actually quit smoking or lying about quitting with current testing policies.

You want to get the non smoker rate? Switch to 0 nic eliquid for 2 weeks and take their smoker test. You'll test as a non-smoker and you'll get the better rate.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Wow, passive-aggressive much?
No, his advice is correct. Even if someone here already has life insurance from the same carrier, carriers do from revise their policies from time to time. Reading the exact offered policy prior to committing to it is essential.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
No, his advice is correct. Even if someone here already has life insurance from the same carrier, carriers do from revise their policies from time to time. Reading the exact offered policy prior to committing to it is essential.
Exactly what I was going to say. Internet opinions on what a carrier may (or may not) do concerning situation "X" are interesting, but what matters is what's printed in black and white.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Exactly what I was going to say. Internet opinions on what a carrier may (or may not) do concerning situation "X" are interesting, but what matters is what's printed in black and white.

Yep. And making sure that your loved ones aren't up the proverbial without a paddle in a worst-case scenario is way too serious a matter.

We all know that insurers are all smiles and glad-handing and back-patting while collecting the premium.

When the money stops rolling in and they're asked to fess up, you get to see the other faces. The hardnosed, grim ones. The ones who are looking for the slightest ..... in the armor. We all know that too ...

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Wow, passive-aggressive much?

To the OP, be sure and let us know what you find out so others might learn something.

No, I am not passive-aggressive. What your generalization said about tobacco, insurance definitions and policy exclusions is not completely or always true and, so, may be misleading. Anyone buying any policy should read the policy and then see what the policy insures and what it does not.

Last edited:

dimo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
No, I am not passive-aggressive. What your generalization said about tobacco, insurance definitions and policy exclusions is not completely or always true and, so, may be misleading. Anyone buying any policy should read the policy and then see what the policy insures and what it does not.

While I agree about reading the policies being super important, the other poster has a good point. I didn't find it very misleading.

If the insurance company uses a nicotine mouth swab test (I know State Farm does), and you test positive, you will get the smoker rate. I been through this twice now. We may very well be cigarette free for many years, but they don't know that. They simply won't take your word for it and give you the non-smoker rate just because you told them you don't smoke. You need to prove it and must pass whatever test they administer for it.

We aren't the only ones who get screwed. Chewers, people on the patch/gum, all get screwed too. But, switching to 0 nic, you will remove all tobacco from your life and you will pass insurance smoker tests.

EDIT: to make matters worse companies like State Farm take it further. They also administer a blood test. They technically don't have a non-smoker and smoker rate. It's preffered and non-preferred. Passing a nicotine test is not enough. You need to pass a blood test. So high cholesterol, blood sugar, etc can also lump you into higher premiums for life insurance.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
While I agree about reading the policies being super important, the other poster has a good point. I didn't find it very misleading.

If the insurance company uses a nicotine mouth swab test (I know State Farm does), and you test positive, you will get the smoker rate. I been through this twice now. We may very well be cigarette free for many years, but they don't know that. They simply won't take your word for it and give you the non-smoker rate just because you told them you don't smoke. You need to prove it and must pass whatever test they administer for it.

Are you speaking of all insurers or only State Farm? I have not read a State Farm policy and can't comment. My experience with my carrier is that the definition of the "use of tobacco" bestows upon me the status of non-smoker.
To say that, "n the eyes of insurance carriers nicotine = tobacco = smoker. Period", is a generalization which will not withstand scrutiny and is demonstrably untrue. The only realistic procedure is to read what is being bought and shop for what you need. (And avoid accepting blanket internet opinions as necessarily true.)

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
Geez. I thought the OP asked a fair question, essentially, does anyone have experience with Prudential?

Whatever the answer, the OP should real the policy terms and conditions to know for sure, but that wasn't the question. It was helpful to know about State Farm.

Reactions: BoostAddict

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Don't know about life insurance but my Doctor knows I have been vaping for three years. Did a lot of tests from a collapse on a hockey rink and after six months of tests and retests said I have never been so healthy. He changed my file over to non smoker. I smoked 42 years. Yes I am back playing hockey again three days a week. CHEERS!

Reactions: Rossum

dimo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
Chicago
Are you speaking of all insurers or only State Farm? I have not read a State Farm policy and can't comment. My experience with my carrier is that the definition of the "use of tobacco" bestows upon me the status of non-smoker.
To say that, "n the eyes of insurance carriers nicotine = tobacco = smoker. Period", is a generalization which will not withstand scrutiny and is demonstrably untrue. The only realistic procedure is to read what is being bought and shop for what you need. (And avoid accepting blanket internet opinions as necessarily true.)

I can't comment on other insurance carriers as I've never tried to use them. That's why I mentioned State Farm. In hind sight I should have been more thorough in my original post. But as far as they are concerned, I need proof as a non smoker, confirmed by there tests. As far as they are concerned, I could be lying that I vape only and don't smoke. They have no way to know I truly quit. They would have to take my word for it, which isn't good enough for them.

In my case I am considered a non smoker because I passed their test. I switched to 0 nic eliquid at the time in order to pass the test. That being said, this was 3 years ago, so it may be possible the wording may have changed in their policy to actually mention vapers. I'll need to take a look at it again in the future to see what I currently says.

Reactions: CMD-Ky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread