PSA/Ad: "Think Outside The Pack"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's plenty of evidence that SHS hasn't caused a single death.

www.data-yard.net

That's a very detailed analysis with a very large number of participants. There's also ample evidence to suggest that a large portion of the currently accepted "evidence" of SHS smoke death claims have been "massaged", much like the global warming data.

Zo, thank you for taking a moment to remind people that the whole secondhand smoke issue is -- and always has been -- largely politically-driven pseudo-science BS.

That said, the CASAA is right to go to market with whatever message will best resonate with the public in light of prevailing public opinion.

Last edited:

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
You can't be serious. I thought you had a real problem with our efforts. You just don't like that we don't have bumper stickers and t-shirts yet. I'll give you that we need to have the site completed, but I've built several thousand sites over the past fifteen years and few had as much content as CASAA.ORG. Like it or not, this will take time and stalling the effort until we have the hubcaps polished is ludicrous. Democracy may be a failing of our organization to you but it is how we have chosen to do it.

Lack of a finished site does not mean that effort isn't being expended. Volunteers have built our own server, sent letters and are loading the hundreds of documents into the CMS for the web site. You need to look more into what IS being done before you make knee jerk comments like you did. Why don't you offer to help rather than slam us for not moving quickly enough (on the web site?) to suit you?

We are reaching out to other groups because that is what will make a difference - shared efforts and information. If you had bothered to join CASAA's 1,200 member base, you would already know what we're doing and where we need your help.

Be part of the solution.

Agreed, Webby. As a movement, our best move is to assemble the best campaign we can within our time constraints, and then disseminate it quickly and aggressively.

Trying to satisfy everybody in our community will only stall the process until its too late. If you will pardon the cliche: You are correctly grasping the importance of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Please keep up the good work!

tescela

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
CASAA is only as small as it's membership. If Big tobacco couldn't even fight smoking bans and regulation, with all of it's wealth and power, it is hard to imagine that we, with our currently small membership, can actually accomplish anything of significance. But, as we grow, that could change.

At least we are trying to do something, rather than just sitting on the sidelines, complaining that other people aren't doing enough for us.

Amen, kristin! Thank you for articulating this core concept so well!

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
I like the "Think outside the pack" slogan.

At some point I hope to see some marketing or PSA that addresses the "looks like smoke" issue in a direct, common sense fashion. For instance, a visual of someone vaping, and then the horrified onlooker, "Looks like smoke!", then a visual of a teapot steaming, and the person making tea chirps, "Not smoke!", and a visual of steam from a hot shower and the person leaning out of the shower saying, "Not smoke!" and etc., with maybe the vaping scene interspersed with each depending upon time.

Raenon

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I like the "Think outside the pack" slogan.

At some point I hope to see some marketing or PSA that addresses the "looks like smoke" issue in a direct, common sense fashion. For instance, a visual of someone vaping, and then the horrified onlooker, "Looks like smoke!", then a visual of a teapot steaming, and the person making tea chirps, "Not smoke!", and a visual of steam from a hot shower and the person leaning out of the shower saying, "Not smoke!" and etc., with maybe the vaping scene interspersed with each depending upon time.

Hair band, surrounded by stage fog, with the guitarist screeching "Not smoke!"...

And of course, flash back to the horrified onlooker "...oh, all right then."
Sounds like the HFCS/bug juice commercial that's making the rounds again.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY

I really like your idea, Jamie! :thumbs:

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA
Thank you yvilla. :)

Hair band, surrounded by stage fog, with the guitarist screeching "Not smoke!"...

HA! I'd actually considered a stage fog scene but thought folks might chime in about stage fog being an irritant. However your version is so awesome it would be worth it. :thumbs:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Hey CAASA folks - Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot (again), but how do I join? I support you in spirit - but how do I support you with cash :) ?

To join, simply go to our home page, and click on the big orange "Join Now" button on the top right hand side of the page. CASAA | The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association

We are still working on getting the donation process set up, as explained on the "Support CASAA" page. It is truly appreciated that you want to support our organization with cash! :thumbs:

But for right now, become a member, please, and we will let everyone know when donations are possible.

LuvMyPV

Dec 22, 2009
Washington D.C.
To join, simply go to our home page, and click on the big orange "Join Now" button on the top right hand side of the page. CASAA | The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association

We are still working on getting the donation process set up, as explained on the "Support CASAA" page. It is truly appreciated that you want to support our organization with cash! :thumbs:

But for right now, become a member, please, and we will let everyone know when donations are possible.

Thanks for the tip. I am officially a CASAA member and a rabid ex cig smoker (now if I can figure out how to proudly display that fact on ECF).

From reading the CASAA web site and on ECF, I realize you are a fledgling organization.

I want to contribute time, money - whatever you guys need! Thanks to all of you for what you do.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Thanks for the tip. I am officially a CASAA member and a rabid ex cig smoker (now if I can figure out how to proudly display that fact on ECF).

From reading the CASAA web site and on ECF, I realize you are a fledgling organization.

I want to contribute time, money - whatever you guys need! Thanks to all of you for what you do.

We definitely need time and talent. Tell us about yourself and what are you good at?

Cielo

ECF Veteran
    Dec 7, 2009
    Florida
    "Think outside the Pack"
    -by Thad Marney​

CONCEPT: Video to be shot as a "mash-up" parody of the current ad campaigns from Verizon Wireless and GEICO Insurance. Scene begins with 2 characters having a conversation in an outdoor setting.

P2 begins to take out a cigarette and lighter, P1 notices and reaches for an electronic device

P1: "Have you heard about Electronic Cigarettes? They use flavoring and a fog generator to simulate the experience of smoking without producing any actual smoke. Not only does it reduce harm to yourself and eliminate the risk of harming others from secondhand smoke...I'm saving money too!"

P2: "So is that how you got that Network?"

Camera pulls back to reveal a large group of people standing behind P1

P2: "Think outside the pack. That's the lives you could be saving by switching to vapor."

musical outtro - "Every Breath You Take" by The Police (originally)

Narrator: "According to the United States Surgeon General, Secondhand smoke causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke. Switching to a smoke-free alternative like electronic cigarettes could save the lives of the people around you. Visit www.CASAA.org to learn more."

While i love the concept and the slogan, I feel that making claims which have no long term studies could be detrimental. Draw interest to the site by being somewhat elusive. Direct the general public to educate themselves to draw their own conclusion. It is always best to use facts in public advertisements.

Who are we targeting in these commercials and what age group? To me, the ad specifically targets those affected by second hand smoke which would primarily be non smoking family members. If this is your target group, consider taking a stance similar to Alanon.

I would also be hesitant to make a play off of other commercials such as Geico or Verizon. Piggy backing on the success of others could trivialize the uniqueness of CASSA. Material should be original to CASAA designed in creating an interest to both smokers and non-smokers to educate themselves, which in turn could save lives.

Last, I am in no way being negative about your concept Thad and I highly commend you for your hard work and creativity. :)

P2 begins to take out a cigarette and lighter, P1 notices and reaches for an electronic device.

Narrator: "According to the United States Surgeon General, Secondhand smoke causes premature death and disease in children and in adults who do not smoke." (factual)

Camera focuses in on close up of P1 using electronic device.

Narrator: " Learn about alternative choices for you and your family by visiting www.CASAA.org" (A call to action)

Camera pulls back to reveal a large group of people standing behind
    P1

Narrator: "Think outside the pack" (motto)

Camera fades to text motto, with CASAA logo and website url.

musical outtro - "Every Breath You Take" by The Police (originally) - (might be copy write issues and would possibly need permissions to use.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread