PSA: Don't use the onboard charger for the IPV4!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulyWally

Jun 5, 2015
Texas
[/QUOTE]I highly, highly, highly suggest taking the batteries out of the device to charge them, and NOT using the onboard USB charger. In fact, I'd go as far as to say not to use ANY device's onboard charger if the batteries are removable.

Take your batteries out of the device to charge them.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, plus many of these devices are not built well enough to handle the regular wear and tear of having a charger plugged into its USB port for charging purposes. Even the new Sxmini M class states in the instructions that it will only warranty the USB port for three months as opposed one year warranty on the mod.

Was wondering about the Vaper Shark and the upcoming Vaper Flask. Vaper Shark sure seems proud of their Zip charger, charges in less than two hours.

One of my concerns is that I've always understood that the slower you charge a battery (lower amps) the longer serviceable life you will get out of it.

Last edited:

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I highly, highly, highly suggest taking the batteries out of the device to charge them, and NOT using the onboard USB charger. In fact, I'd go as far as to say not to use ANY device's onboard charger if the batteries are removable.

Take your batteries out of the device to charge them.

Totally agree, plus many of these devices are not built well enough to handle the regular wear and tear of having a charger plugged into its USB port for charging purposes. Even the new Sxmini M class states in the instructions that it will only warranty the USB port for three months as opposed one year warranty on the mod.

Was wondering about the Vaper Shark and the upcoming Vaper Flask. Vaper Shark sure seems proud of their Zip charger, charges in less than two hours.

One of my concerns is that I've always understood that the slower you charge a battery (lower amps) the longer serviceable life you will get out of it.

To clarify (and for some reason I can't edit my first post), I was referring to the 9V circular charger -- the one that was actually meant to be/advertised as an onboard charger -- the USB port on the IPV4 isn't capable of charging, it's meant for firmware upgrades.

Reactions: PaulyWally

PaulyWally

Jun 5, 2015
Texas
To clarify (and for some reason I can't edit my first post), I was referring to the 9V circular charger -- the one that was actually meant to be/advertised as an onboard charger -- the USB port on the IPV4 isn't capable of charging, it's meant for firmware upgrades.

Ahh, got you. Haven't opened my IVP4 yet, but I do believe my IPV3 has that 9v plug in for charging and the USB for updating, although I was always led to believe that it is disconnected from the factory. Never checked that out didn't really feel like looking for an power adapter, so don't hold me to it. lol

zed888

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Vortex 4
I never got the point of these on board chargers. Are people that lazy to spend less than 30 seconds to pop out the batteries and put them in an external charger and pop fresh batteries into the mod? I have many mods, and not once have I used the onboard charger in any of them. Maybe I just don't see the benefit of using them (confused)
I don't think it's laziness, I think it's people wanting to buy 2 batteries instead of 4 batteries and a charger. Anyway, it seems this IPV4 issue is widespread enough that asMODus is not doing the warranty work on them anymore since they haven't been getting enough parts to service all the units coming in. Pioneer4You

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
Just to clarify once more: This issue has nothing to do with charging the device. People have had this device melt even if they charge their batteries externally.

The problem is the charging board inside the mod is janky and is shorting out even when the device is not being charged. Apparently the charging board (which is a separate piece from the main board) isn't insulated very well and has a tendency make contact with metal inside the mod, creating a short circuit and a battery vent. This is why people are removing that board completely as shown in a video posted above. If you charge externally, I recommend removing the charging board (you just have to cut a couple of wires and tape the ends).

Reactions: nyiddle

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Just to clarify once more: This issue has nothing to do with charging the device. People have had this device melt even if they charge their batteries externally.

The problem is the charging board inside the mod is janky and is shorting out even when the device is not being charged. Apparently the charging board (which is a separate piece from the main board) isn't insulated very well and has a tendency make contact with metal inside the mod, creating a short circuit and a battery vent. This is why people are removing that board completely as shown in a video posted above. If you charge externally, I recommend removing the charging board (you just have to cut a couple of wires and tape the ends).

Wish I could edit my first post to make this more abundantly clear. Dunno why I can't.

discobear79

Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Providence, RI
I have no issues with mine, but I did just see Suck My Mod's youtube video about how poorly the balance board is insulated. I read on reddit that a B&M is offering to repair this problem for 10 dollars if you didn't buy it from them with free return shipping. They say they have experience modders. I was thinking about doing it myself, but since I have never done anything like this before, don't think it's a good idea. Even though, it seems simple. I don't want to risk anything. Sending mine in this am. They same it usually ships same day. It's definitely worth the extra 10 dollars. I have shopped at this store when I was travelling through Baltimore area and they are a reputable company. IPV4 Repair – Vape Dojo

Bezo

Feb 9, 2015
Cedar Rapids, IA
Just got my ipv4 and trying like crazy to figure out why i couldn't charge via usb like on my mini. I assumed(wrongly) it would be the same. But what I wanted to post is that it appears that the circular 9v port has been removed all together now on new models. My black "grip" cover dosn't have a hole like many ive seen pictured and when I remove the cover theres a black plastic plug that I cant remove. I assume its where the 9v plug in was originally.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Just got my ipv4 and trying like crazy to figure out why i couldn't charge via usb like on my mini. I assumed(wrongly) it would be the same. But what I wanted to post is that it appears that the circular 9v port has been removed all together now on new models. My black "grip" cover dosn't have a hole like many ive seen pictured and when I remove the cover theres a black plastic plug that I cant remove. I assume its where the 9v plug in was originally.

That's good to know. I'm glad they did something to rectify what (clearly) was underdeveloped/dangerous.

It seems like most newer mods nowadays have onboard charging that seems to work okay, but I still prefer using a separate charger if the batteries are removable. The convenience isn't worth the potential sacrifice to safety.

Reactions: Bezo

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
I know the specs, I know what it can do.

I think you'll find that the IPV4 problems that people are having with the charging ports are coming from stupid people who are using the wrong charger. They see it's a 9V port and they've got a 9V charger lying around so they plug it in. They pay absolutely no attention to the 2A requirement that Pioneer4You have. It MUST be a 9V 2A charger.

That seems to be a fundamental problem with current APV use.
Most users know just enough to be dangerous.

XeoNoX

Jul 2, 2014
USA
I think you'll find that the IPV4 problems that people are having with the charging ports are coming from stupid people who are using the wrong charger. They see it's a 9V port and they've got a 9V charger lying around so they plug it in. They pay absolutely no attention to the 2A requirement that Pioneer4You have. It MUST be a 9V 2A charger.

That seems to be a fundamental problem with current APV use.
Most users know just enough to be dangerous.

LOL....you forgot to mention the center tip polarity matters too. So here it its people the only charger that should go in that hole is a chargher with the OUTPUT of ....

9.0 volts --- 2.0Amps (or 2,000mA) --- 3.5mm O.D. (outside diamiter) tip --- Center tip positive --- DC adapter

if you have one of those chargers you are now just halfway there...as the mod still requires you to open it and put electrical tape or some kind of non-conductive insulation around the balance board and the charging board to prevent shorting.

In all...its simpler to just tell the consumer/users of the IPV4 to just not use the charging port, although whether or not use use the charging port there will still be random battery drain for some users as the "bad board placement" will "short out" occasionally causing a good amount of discharge from the battery (this can also be fixed by taking out the charger board or insulating it)...long story shorts its a faulty design that P4You should fix and warranty for good PR (public relations) for users of the IPV4.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Tid Bits:
1) Board design is Fine - Placement was Poor
There is a difference and anyone understanding component structure would recognize such.
2) External charging is no guarantee of safety. 510 contact may occur with any to long 510 over tightened.
3) Removal of the board is the safest option.

Would be nice if P4Y Voluntarily replaced the devices.
At minimum at least they stopped production and revised the IPV4

Eventually we Will have recourse - Once government steps in and takes control over us.
Like toy maker, they will be made to meet safety concerns and correct defective releases.
Prices at such time will likely also triple for all products sold.:(

PaulyWally

Jun 5, 2015
Texas
LOL....you forgot to mention the center tip polarity matters too. So here it its people the only charger that should go in that hole is a chargher with the OUTPUT of ....

9.0 volts --- 2.0Amps (or 2,000mA) --- 3.5mm O.D. (outside diamiter) tip --- Center tip positive --- DC adapter

if you have one of those chargers you are now just halfway there...as the mod still requires you to open it and put electrical tape or some kind of non-conductive insulation around the balance board and the charging board to prevent shorting.

In all...its simpler to just tell the consumer/users of the IPV4 to just not use the charging port, although whether or not use use the charging port there will still be random battery drain for some users as the "bad board placement" will "short out" occasionally causing a good amount of discharge from the battery (this can also be fixed by taking out the charger board or insulating it)...long story shorts its a faulty design that P4You should fix and warranty for good PR (public relations) for users of the IPV4.

My understanding is that P4U started shipping the IPV4 without the board and simply plugged up the 9v charging port. I have a first release IPV4 with functioning charging port (never used it, prefer to charge batteries the old fashion way). I have not preformed the insulation fix but have not had any discharging problems either.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
Yeah the 4s has the new firmware for 120w and no more charging board. It's too bad that they didn't learn there lesson from the ipv3.

Mad I ruined 2 sets of married batteries. Oh well. They got divorced and recycled. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Joules mode now goes up to 100.

Still haven't fixed memory issues for prior settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread