*PUFF* ... new member appeared ... Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Hi all :w00t:

Lurking seems to be the word, for having a look around this community... and so I did, and do, and continue to do, and what a steaming friendly mecca of knowledge I discovered, when needing it the most. Thank you for being here, doing what you do :w00t: In Denmark this steaming buisiness is still all fairly new, and there are no forums like this.

Besides from saying Hello EFC World, and seek advice on 2 matters ... some heavy lung issues and on what gear setup and juice you can recommend in order to get the vaping experience im seaching for.

My wakeup call ... around this christmas I lost 2 elderly friends who died of cancer.
I have been smoking since my 18th year, lately I deescalated to 15 light ones pr.day.
Increasingly hating the risks I put myself in ... and the awfull smell.
29th.dec. after attending the second funeral, I express googled for a good starter kit ... I went directly to the new smoke n steam shop in town and got me an eVOD Kanger starter kit and 3 fruity 12mg 50PG/42VG eliquids for a start.

I have not smoked since. Im not saying it has been easy, but it has definitely been far easier than expected... especially once I read the exstremely helpfull inhalation tecnique articles in this forum ... ahaaaa, the slow zen mode breaths made a difference, and finaly and slowly the juice tank started to empty :thumbs: ... I have an open package of cigarettes lying in my living room and when I notice it now and then, it puzzles me that I dont want them, but it is still too much against my smokers nature to throw them out ... hmmmm. Wonder when I will act on this.

I should be exstatic of joy, and I am, but at the same time I feel like my lungs have taken a frontal hit by a steamroller ... "heavy, burning lungs", slight shortness of breath and a little sore throat. I knew there would be some symptoms when quiting the cigarets, I have quit before, but this time the symptoms are so much worse that I suspect the vapour to have some sideeffects. Trying to figure out what I do about it. I read some of the low VG tolerance threads vs. low PG tolerance, so please correct me if im wrong ...

Step 1 ... drink more water, to avoid dehydration and be patient for smoke quiting symptoms to clear out, and enjoy when I'm freed of each of them
Step 2 ... experiment with different PG/VG solutions, lower nicotine level and also try some high quality 50/50 liquids
Step 3 ... ???

The second advice I seek is related to how to achieve the vaping experience im looking for, whether it is dripping, mechanical MOD, is the EVOD ok, which type of liquid etc.

Vapour ... the amount of vapour is not so important
TH ... only a very light and mild one is needed
Flavour ... absolute top priority for me
Putiry of liquids ... also top priority (ordered som Five Pawns 4 ml testers)
vaping method and apparatus ... would the evod be ok for starters
My level of creativity ... I do not want to start out doing MODs and mixing liquids just yet, in time yes, but for know im more the plug and play whatever can be bought type.

Hope there is some advice for me out there ... and sorry for imposing on you with so many questions, a loooong text and so on, and now I will stop babbeling and lurk around some more :rolleyes:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. It's like magic, how you noobs appear out of the vape fog like that. You're on the right track: drink more water and be patient. You might try a 40PG/60VG ratio; it may help a bit. There's nothing wrong with an Evod, but it is pretty low powered. If you're looking for some versatility, to try to determine what kind of vape you want, let me suggest an iStick 40TC paired with a Kanger Subtank. The Kanger tank has a wide variety of coils, plus adjustable airflow, so it can be set up a number of different ways. Add to this a clone Plume Veil RDA-- less than US$15 on eBay usually-- and the 40 watts in the iStick will fire it coiled anywhere between about .5~2.5 ohms. You'll have to get a local vape shop to build it for you; most will do so for a nominal fee. There are many (a bewildering plethora) other options out there, but the rig I suggest will allow you to find what you want in a vape, and then serve as a good backup if you choose to later move to more optimized gear. Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello @Mette and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your journey. Looks to me like you're going to win the battle.

My most recommended tank for newbies is the Aspire Nautilus Mini. When I quit I had the "beginner" el cheapo's and it was when I got the Nautilus I knew I had the stinky's beat. The quality of vape from where you are now to a Nautilus is quite a step up. I also recommend a "mod" like the iStick 30 watt or better to use with the Nautilus. 30 watts is important due to the room for growth into sub ohm tanks should you desire to. You'll probably use a Nautilus at 15 or under.
4f4a37f5-cac4-47a0-94b9-31b2900fd6b6_zpsqab8njbe.jpg

One of the most important rules to vape in the beginning is to have a back up. The evod kit will make a nice back up.

I started on 12 mg after smoking 2 packs a day of lights. You might consider lowering the nic in the juice and it will help by decreasing the throat hit. PG and Nic are the two main contributors to TH. If I were you I would get one bottle of 9 mg or 6 mg and try it out. If you have lots of juice in 12 mg you can always buy the same flavor in a zero nic and equally combine the two will cut the nicotine in half.
Another "rule" is the better the equipment the more juice consumed and the more nicotine ingested. You will probably desire to lower the nic when you upgrade to a better tank, especially if you end up going into sub ohms. I'd recommend staying at a 50/50 pg/vg juice blend for a while as you wean off the cigs completely. Most (but not all) vapers go to a higher VG content juice to cut down on throat hit as they progress into vape (especially sub ohm gear).

You might be experiencing some after effects of cig withdrawl with the lung issues. It is common. This link will explain the "potential" issues: A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Good luck in your journey. :)

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Welcome to the ECF. I'm sure you'll have whatever questions you might have answered from a variety of sources. Ask away!

If purity of e-liquids is of importance to you, you might want to look into the great "Diketone debate." The jury's still out on whether or not diketones in e-liquid might actually be harmful, but if you're like me and are quitting cigarettes (primarily) for the purpose of reducing the # of chemicals you're inhaling, you may want to look into which e-liquids contain diketones (and avoid them).

In regards to the lung issues, I found a similar situation until I experimented with PG/VG ratios. Too much VG led to heavy lung, too much PG led to too much throat hit. The happy medium for me is about 60/40 VG/PG. It's worth buying a bottle of straight VG and PG just for diluting juices to knock it more towards your preferred ratio. Also some juices are sweet enough (imo) that you can add some VG/PG to make that bottle last a little bit longer.

Any of the Evod kits would be great for starters. A slightly nicer choice (imo) would be the Innokin Endura T18. Great little starter kit, only 30$, super convenient.

Reactions: jjatl

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Hi all :w00t:

Lurking seems to be the word, for having a look around this community... and so I did, and do, and continue to do, and what a steaming friendly mecca of knowledge I discovered, when needing it the most. Thank you for being here, doing what you do :w00t: In Denmark this steaming buisiness is still all fairly new, and there are no forums like this.

Besides from saying Hello EFC World, and seek advice on 2 matters ... some heavy lung issues and on what gear setup and juice you can recommend in order to get the vaping experience im seaching for.

My wakeup call ... around this christmas I lost 2 elderly friends who died of cancer.
I have been smoking since my 18th year, lately I deescalated to 15 light ones pr.day.
Increasingly hating the risks I put myself in ... and the awfull smell.
29th.dec. after attending the second funeral, I express googled for a good starter kit ... I went directly to the new smoke n steam shop in town and got me an eVOD Kanger starter kit and 3 fruity 12mg 50PG/42VG eliquids for a start.

I have not smoked since. Im not saying it has been easy, but it has definitely been far easier than expected... especially once I read the exstremely helpfull inhalation tecnique articles in this forum ... ahaaaa, the slow zen mode breaths made a difference, and finaly and slowly the juice tank started to empty :thumbs: ... I have an open package of cigarettes lying in my living room and when I notice it now and then, it puzzles me that I dont want them, but it is still too much against my smokers nature to throw them out ... hmmmm. Wonder when I will act on this.

I should be exstatic of joy, and I am, but at the same time I feel like my lungs have taken a frontal hit by a steamroller ... "heavy, burning lungs", slight shortness of breath and a little sore throat. I knew there would be some symptoms when quiting the cigarets, I have quit before, but this time the symptoms are so much worse that I suspect the vapour to have some sideeffects. Trying to figure out what I do about it. I read some of the low VG tolerance threads vs. low PG tolerance, so please correct me if im wrong ...

Step 1 ... drink more water, to avoid dehydration and be patient for smoke quiting symptoms to clear out, and enjoy when I'm freed of each of them
Step 2 ... experiment with different PG/VG solutions, lower nicotine level and also try some high quality 50/50 liquids
Step 3 ... ???

The second advice I seek is related to how to achieve the vaping experience im looking for, whether it is dripping, mechanical MOD, is the EVOD ok, which type of liquid etc.

Vapour ... the amount of vapour is not so important
TH ... only a very light and mild one is needed
Flavour ... absolute top priority for me
Putiry of liquids ... also top priority (ordered som Five Pawns 4 ml testers)
Vaping method and apparatus ... would the evod be ok for starters
My level of creativity ... I do not want to start out doing MODs and mixing liquids just yet, in time yes, but for know im more the plug and play whatever can be bought type.

Hope there is some advice for me out there ... and sorry for imposing on you with so many questions, a loooong text and so on, and now I will stop babbeling and lurk around some more :rolleyes:

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

First, the setup you have is what many of us start off with, but many of us on the forums have decided to stay with vaping for a while, and have turned it into sort of a hobby. So, you'll get advice from people from different angles. Although most of us started with those plug and play like setups like you have, we've "moved on" to other setups that provide more flavor, and vapor. You've already bypassed one stage that most of us got frustrated with... the "cigalikes".. the ones that look like a cigarette. Those end up being costly, and are quickly phased out. The setup you have is what I call the most favorable entry point for ecigs. So, you're on the right track.

As a brief starter, the Evod is fine for starters. Most everyone I know that stopped smoking started off not wanting a big device (including me). The idea of carrying a metal box makes most people feel uncomfortable. So for now, an Ego/evod setup is fine. You can still get a good setup for flavor. Dripping is usually too much of an inconvenience for most beginning vapers, and a sub ohm tank is usually too powerful. whatever battery you get, I recommend getting one that you can vary the voltage. this allows you to set the device to the level you want. The atomizers for your device are fairly small. The evod is good, but if you're wanting to try something else, you can try something like an aerotank or a Protank. Get something that has a variable air control. This will allow you to customize your vaping a bit more. And again, whatever setup you get, get a backup.. and possibly two. With one backup, you can continue to vape while the other charges, and a third is if one drops... the worst thing that can happen in the beginning, is you drop one while getting off of work... and you can't find a replacement, and decide to smoke until you get another....

Now, as far as your experiences.. I don't want to scare you away from ecigarettes, but... things will appear to get worse before they get better. When I first stopped, I noticed that I started to cough a lot more than when I smoked. I was constantly clearing my throat What I learned, and experienced, is that your lungs will clear themselves slowly. The first three months, it slowly got worse... It started to worry me, so I did my research, and found out it will get worse. It wasn't allergies, or anything like that, it was simply the process of my lungs clearing. It stayed like that for 6 months., then slowly, I started to cough less and less... a year later, I was barely coughing or clearing my throat. Remember, your lungs do not adapt instantly, and that tar has to go somewhere. So, you might not be allergic to vapor, it might be your lungs just clearing yourself. I would still experiment with different juices, and maybe try a pure VG juice to see if that helps some.

And just so you know, I was a smoker for 20 years. By the time I was 30, I had no grandfathers and lost a step father..all due to smoking. None of them lived past 65. Good luck on your journey. Eventually, I hope you will quit smoking and hope you get to the point where I am at... and that's to look at a pack of cigarettes and realize how nasty they taste and smell. I held on to my last pack for quite a while, and gave it to a vape shop for them to put on display of people's last cigarette boxes. Mine was still full.

Reactions: Nick Jennings

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Hiya Mette! I'm so glad that you've decided to give vaping a try! You will feel weird for a few weeks or so as you get over the side-effects of smoking, but I promise that things will get better. Definitely play around with VG/PG percentages and see if you find something that feels better to you.

Now, on another note: it appears that flavor is the most important thing for you. Higher PG liquid typically has stronger/better flavor (VG tends to mute flavors a bit). As for equipment, I recently received a mod/tank combo that is very new on the market and I am VERY pleased and impressed with it. It uses replaceable coil heads, so no worries about having to learn to rebuild. It also uses a ceramic wick/coil set-up that is giving me the absolute best flavor I have EVER gotten out of a vaping device. And I've been vaping for over 6 years!

Here are a few links where you can get the device:
Target 75VTC at Heaven Gifts (They have SUPER fast shipping!)
Target 75VTC at FastTech
Target 75VTC at Vape NW (They actually have replacement coils in stock, but only have nickel coils for temperature control.)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or send me a PM. There are some other coils that will work in the Target VTC, but I'll have to look into which ones if you wanna know.

OH!! And welcome to the community!! :) :) :)

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Wow, you have me overwhelmed by all your answers that I have received already. I have read them all ... twice and thoroughly, and there are plenty of advices to work from, and to keep my occupied fpr days and weeks on while entering the Magic Vapor Land ... mmm, now i get it, why it tends to become a hobby. Sooo many options for how to tinker with the experience ;)

Next, I want to thank you for your kind words on the eVOD choice. It has absolutely served as a decent starter kit, and convinced me to go on and explore further... and hey, to quote @Sir2fyablyNutz ... "it was when I got the Nautilus I knew I had the stinky's beat." ... yihaaa :headbang: and with such a sales speach, I have to keep upgrading. I ... must ... keep... going ...

When I try to summarize all your advices I now see many possibilities for how to advance into this magic Vapor Jungle. Thank you all for giving me a draft for severel improvement step ahead, and you even give me ideas for making qualitative choices on which upgrade steps I could take, in order to gain an extra usefull backup device for every upgrade I make. Clever thinking. So @NealBJr, I promise to surpress my initial urge from this morning to upgrade with an Mig Cig 21 cigalike ... even though it looks so small, cute and tempting with its constant 4.2V and 2.2 ohm :blush: Good thing that I did not succeed in my impulsive search of a danish retailer of the MIG :p

I will keep eVOD as backup, and consider upgrading as follows:

- Aspire Stinky beater Nautilus mini (this one gets a lot of nice reviews in here). I have yet to look at any innokin devices.
- Power upgrade with an iStick 30 or preferably 40w (next will be a lot of experiments on how volt and ohm play together. I heard in an youtube liquid review that some of the less dominant flavours need higher volt/heat to appear ... true?)
- Next, combining iStick with a Kanger subtank for exploring various vaping experiences. A variety of coils and adjustable airflow. All for an ok price. Why not the Kanger Subox mini or nano?

Wonder if subohm would be a thing for me ... actually I got all caught up in a nostalgic thread about dripping the oldfashioned way, and I got curious. Why don\t the oldfashioned drippers dislike the new RBA (argh, dont remember the right abbreviation)

Back on tracks ... for liquids
Following your suggestions, I will experiment with the component range of 40PG/60VG, 50PG/50VG and try out a 3mg TH friendly version of the 60PG/40VG ratio, and see if it improves on my heavy lung feeling, but not go further into the extremes until I am clear of the withdrawel symptoms... unless I by coincidence fall over a 100VG, but being a flavour girl I doubt I would like it.
I will gear down to 6 + 9mg in order to lower TH (and thin out my best 12mg with same flavour 0mg nic)
@nyiddle thank you for your advice, I will definitely have a lookout for the nd follow the link you send me. Just because I go from 650 poisons to just potentially a few, it still absolutely matters and should be avoided.
I will also have a critical extra look into the Five Pawns product, and be happy that i only ordered some 4 ml testers :oops: I know that high price doesnt always equal high quality .... uARK but the packaging and bottles looks so nice, the youtube reviews I found sounded so good, there were tags here there and everywhere saying high quality, supreme qualitytestet etc. and I fell hard for the flavour descriptions ... have you read their descriptions? :pop: they had me drewling instantly.

BTW how come that 50|50 ration is good for new vaping smokers?
Is it only the amount of vapor and lack of TH that makes VG so popular?
Is it not so that the correct listing of ratio is PG/VG? Is it because VG has become more popular?

Last but not least ... I still have to look into what clone Plume Veil RDA are :confused:

Again, thank you all for all your advise and encouraging words. It means something. A lot.

Sincerly warm thankfull greeting to you all

Mette

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hello again @Mette. Just a few more notes for you....

In deciding on a mod (battery) you'll have a few decisions to make.
Internal battery which recharges through a usb cable (I have a few, and they are great for running errands but not great when they need recharged as you are "tethered" or "leashed" to it). Mods with replaceable batteries (usually 18650 size batteries). These are great for swapping out batteries when they need recharged (but you have an added expense of the batteries plus a separate independent battery charger (like Nitecore or Xtar) which is highly recommended. (I have 3 replaceable battery mods, a Sigelei 150 watt, Cube II 180 watt, and a Wismec RX 200 (3 battery mod which is turning into my favorite). One main issue to these type of mods which use "pairs" of batteries is they must be used and charged "married" to each other. This keeps the draw on them equal and less apt to malfunction.
The temperature control function. I know people who swear by it and a few who "keep it simple". Just because a mod has the TC function, doesn't mean you have to use it. All the TC mods I own I am running in power (variable voltage/wattage) mode. To use temp control you will have to have tc coils (usually nickel, titanium or stainless steel). The regular coils (kanthal) will not work on tc. I have both types and currently use the kanthal wire in power mode as I make my own coils and it's cheaper than buying the coils. You can also buy the wire and cotton to make your own tc coils.
I believe in walking before running. At one point I had 5 of the Nautilus Mini's. I kept different flavors in each tank as I swap flavors often and it made it easier than switching out and cleaning a tank just to change flavors. I also have 6 of the Kanger Subtank Mini's (for the same flavor reason). It is a different step to go into sub ohm vape. I used the Nautilus for months before getting the sub tanks. I used these months to lower my nic content in my juice. The better the device the more juice you will consume. The Nautilus will feel like it's drinking the juice compared to the evod, and the Subtank will guzzle compared to the Nautilus.
When I got my Subtank Mini's the first thing I did was to swap out the wide bore mouthpiece (drip tip) to a more restricted one (standard 510 size drip tip). I mouth to lung vape and the wide bore was more conducive to straight lung hit type vape.
The rule of thumb for just about every vape device you will ever own is the same. You start low power, take a hit and bump it up. If it gets to taste burnt, tastes funny or is too warm, back the power down.
As to the juice ratio, the VG is used more than the PG because it is sweeter and less throat hit. I never really had an issue with the throat hit problem and vaped mostly 50/50. PG carries flavor better with a little throat hit than VG but VG also makes better clouds and is a little sweeter. This is something you just have to experiment with and find on your own. 50/50 is recommended for newbies as it's pretty neutral and for lower beginner quality (evod) tanks it will wick better. The ability to get the juice to the coil (wicking) is not really an issue with the more expensive tanks unless you start to get into 100%VG.
Dripping wasn't for me. I want to fill a tank and not worry about it needing refilled every fourth hit. You mentioned the Subbox by Kanger. It is a nice setup. When it first came out it had a fixed 510 pin. (the metal pin that makes contact with the bottom pin of the tank). This is fine when using just the Kanger products as they are all the same size. Most mods now have a spring loaded 510 pin so it adjusts to different sized/manufacturers tanks (like the Nautilus) without breaking. It's not to say it won't work without breaking but there has been a few issues noted in the forum. I am a huge Kanger fan from the Subtank Mini's as they allow the choice of buying coils or building your own (make certain you get the version 2, usually a white, black or blue color as they have the improved wicking holes in the rba-the part you use to make your own coils).
You only have 497 choices to make, good luck in your journey. Desire is half the battle, I am positive you'll make it.

Last edited:

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia

You have already received a bunch of great advice, so I will only address this one specific problem. I recently helped another new forum member with a similar issue. He was getting a sore throat because he had not primed his coils before starting to Vape. Did you prime your coil? Are you still on your first coil?

If you are priming and replacing your coils, then I would look to next steps.

I personally have found that some flavors and some juice lines really hurt my throat. Vape Wild, is a very popular juice line here at ECF, but all 9 of the samples that I received from them absolutely kill my throat.

Any of the Evod kits would be great for starters.

I completely agree. This is what I started with. I will go one step further, and suggest that you figure out the sore throat and heavy lungs before you purchase something bigger and more powerful. If your sore throat and heavy lungs are being caused by Vaping, you will want to figure that out before it is exacerbated from equipment producing higher quantities of vapor.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
When I try to summarize all your advices I now see many possibilities for how to advance into this magic Vapor Jungle. Thank you all for giving me a draft for severel improvement step ahead, and you even give me ideas for making qualitative choices on which upgrade steps I could take, in order to gain an extra usefull backup device for every upgrade I make. Clever thinking. So @NealBJr, I promise to surpress my initial urge from this morning to upgrade with an Mig Cig 21 cigalike ... even though it looks so small, cute and tempting with its constant 4.2V and 2.2 ohm :blush: Good thing that I did not succeed in my impulsive search of a danish retailer of the MIG :p

For starter devices, they end up being expensive. They are small, which in itself is nice. However, technology hasn't quite caught up to "star trek" standards, and smaller size means smaller batteries. No matter what they claim, you can only put so much power into those batteries, and you'll end up using up the full charge of the batteries much faster. I was unfortunate enough to start off with the cigalikes... I ended up buying 3 batteries @ $20USD each to last through the day, and the cartridges were about $10 for four.. and I would use 1-2 per day... it got to be real expensive.

I will keep eVOD as backup, and consider upgrading as follows:

- Aspire Stinky beater Nautilus mini (this one gets a lot of nice reviews in here). I have yet to look at any innokin devices.
- Power upgrade with an iStick 30 or preferably 40w (next will be a lot of experiments on how volt and ohm play together. I heard in an youtube liquid review that some of the less dominant flavours need higher volt/heat to appear ... true?)
- Next, combining iStick with a Kanger subtank for exploring various vaping experiences. A variety of coils and adjustable airflow. All for an ok price. Why not the Kanger Subox mini or nano?

As far as my advice on these.. the Nautilus is my #1 choice for new vapers. it's flavor profile is top notch. As far as the Istick and subtank nano... only if you use the 1.2 ohm coils. You CAN use the .5 ohm coils, but you'll end up turning up the wattage up to 25-30 watts, which is pretty much running those batteries at full blast. If you do decide to use a .5 ohm coil, 30w will work, but I recommend going 40w. The Istick/Nautilus is still my first recommendation.

Wonder if subohm would be a thing for me ... actually I got all caught up in a nostalgic thread about dripping the oldfashioned way, and I got curious. Why don\t the oldfashioned drippers dislike the new RBA (argh, dont remember the right abbreviation)
There's nothing wrong with dripping. I occasionally use a dripper, but my main unit is an RBA (ReBuildable Atomizer) However, those usually require a set of skills and knowledge. I think in the nostalgic area, the dripping used cartomizers with the filler removed.. that means using one of those cigalike cartridges, taking out the cotton that holds the liquid, and dripping straight on the coils. The only problem with that, is those cigalikes came out during the beginning of the Ecig industry, and there were several standards as far as the size of the connector. So, simply put, You'll have to make sure it fits with the size that ended up being the standard... the 510 connector. Otherwise, the atomizer simply has the wrong screw connector.

Modern dripping now usually means using a 510 connector, but a much larger base. You make your own coils, and put in your own cotton. Nothing wrong with that, but it does require a bit of knowledge. I'd get off the stinkies first.
Back on tracks ... for liquids
Following your suggestions, I will experiment with the component range of 40PG/60VG, 50PG/50VG and try out a 3mg TH friendly version of the 60PG/40VG ratio, and see if it improves on my heavy lung feeling, but not go further into the extremes until I am clear of the withdrawel symptoms... unless I by coincidence fall over a 100VG, but being a flavour girl I doubt I would like it.
I will gear down to 6 + 9mg in order to lower TH (and thin out my best 12mg with same flavour 0mg nic)
@nyiddle thank you for your advice, I will definitely have a lookout for the nd follow the link you send me. Just because I go from 650 poisons to just potentially a few, it still absolutely matters and should be avoided.
I will also have a critical extra look into the Five Pawns product, and be happy that i only ordered some 4 ml testers :oops: I know that high price doesnt always equal high quality .... uARK but the packaging and bottles looks so nice, the youtube reviews I found sounded so good, there were tags here there and everywhere saying high quality, supreme qualitytestet etc. and I fell hard for the flavour descriptions ... have you read their descriptions? :pop: they had me drewling instantly.

This is more of a personal choice. I plan on mixing my own juices from scratch in the future, but for now, I am in a halfway state.. I buy a 12mg juice, fill an empty bottle up halfway, add other flavors to change the taste, then fill the rest of the bottle up with VG, and end up with a 6mg mix. I call it a pseudo DIY ejuice. Right now, I took some orange cream bar, added some vanilla custard, and just a few drops of spearamint to give it a kick... I can't describe the flavor... it just tastes good. :) It's become sort of like cooking to me... experiment, and I might find some good flavors.

BTW how come that 50|50 ration is good for new vaping smokers?
Is it only the amount of vapor and lack of TH that makes VG so popular?
Is it not so that the correct listing of ratio is PG/VG? Is it because VG has become more popular?
VG gives less of a throat hit, and produces more vapor. It also diminishes the flavor, but not to where it's muted. my mixtures are usually %80 VG. when you're vaping on it all day, the VG helps. I still get plenty of flavor. Everyone who's tried the flavors usually like it over whatever they've bought. VG doesn't kill flavor. most people like it because it's not as harsh as PG. A 50/50 mix is usually preferred for new vapors because it has the throat hit that a smoker is used to, and smoking kills taste, so any help to those taste buds is needed.

Last but not least ... I still have to look into what clone Plume Veil RDA are :confused:

That's one of those drippers... if you decide you want to give it a try, let me know what mod you wish to try it on and I'll recommend some kanhal sizes to try it with and how to go about setting up a dripper.

Again, thank you all for all your advise and encouraging words. It means something. A lot.

Sincerly warm thankfull greeting to you all

Mette

Your welcome.. and congrats on quitting.. I hope it continues!

Domeace

Jan 6, 2016
UK
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Not a topic for discussion on ECF.

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
:smokie:
Hello again @Mette. Just a few more notes for you....

In deciding on a mod (battery) you'll have a few decisions to make.
Internal battery which recharges through a usb cable (I have a few, and they are great for running errands but not great when they need recharged as you are "tethered" or "leashed" to it). Mods with replaceable batteries (usually 18650 size batteries). These are great for swapping out batteries when they need recharged (but you have an added expense of the batteries plus a separate independent battery charger (like Nitecore or Xtar) which is highly recommended. (I have 3 replaceable battery mods, a Sigelei 150 watt, Cube II 180 watt, and a Wismec RX 200 (3 battery mod which is turning into my favorite). One main issue to these type of mods which use "pairs" of batteries is they must be used and charged "married" to each other. This keeps the draw on them equal and less apt to malfunction.
The temperature control function. I know people who swear by it and a few who "keep it simple". Just because a mod has the TC function, doesn't mean you have to use it. All the TC mods I own I am running in power (variable voltage/wattage) mode. To use temp control you will have to have tc coils (usually nickel, titanium or stainless steel). The regular coils (kanthal) will not work on tc. I have both types and currently use the kanthal wire in power mode as I make my own coils and it's cheaper than buying the coils. You can also buy the wire and cotton to make your own tc coils.
I believe in walking before running. At one point I had 5 of the Nautilus Mini's. I kept different flavors in each tank as I swap flavors often and it made it easier than switching out and cleaning a tank just to change flavors. I also have 6 of the Kanger Subtank Mini's (for the same flavor reason). It is a different step to go into sub ohm vape. I used the Nautilus for months before getting the sub tanks. I used these months to lower my nic content in my juice. The better the device the more juice you will consume. The Nautilus will feel like it's drinking the juice compared to the evod, and the Subtank will guzzle compared to the Nautilus.
When I got my Subtank Mini's the first thing I did was to swap out the wide bore mouthpiece (drip tip) to a more restricted one (standard 510 size drip tip). I mouth to lung vape and the wide bore was more conducive to straight lung hit type vape.
The rule of thumb for just about every vape device you will ever own is the same. You start low power, take a hit and bump it up. If it gets to taste burnt, tastes funny or is too warm, back the power down.
As to the juice ratio, the VG is used more than the PG because it is sweeter and less throat hit. I never really had an issue with the throat hit problem and vaped mostly 50/50. PG carries flavor better with a little throat hit than VG but VG also makes better clouds and is a little sweeter. This is something you just have to experiment with and find on your own. 50/50 is recommended for newbies as it's pretty neutral and for lower beginner quality (evod) tanks it will wick better. The ability to get the juice to the coil (wicking) is not really an issue with the more expensive tanks unless you start to get into 100%VG.
Dripping wasn't for me. I want to fill a tank and not worry about it needing refilled every fourth hit. You mentioned the Subbox by Kanger. It is a nice setup. When it first came out it had a fixed 510 pin. (the metal pin that makes contact with the bottom pin of the tank). This is fine when using just the Kanger products as they are all the same size. Most mods now have a spring loaded 510 pin so it adjusts to different sized/manufacturers tanks (like the Nautilus) without breaking. It's not to say it won't work without breaking but there has been a few issues noted in the forum. I am a huge Kanger fan from the Subtank Mini's as they allow the choice of buying coils or building your own (make certain you get the version 2, usually a white, black or blue color as they have the improved wicking holes in the rba-the part you use to make your own coils).
You only have 497 choices to make, good luck in your journey. Desire is half the battle, I am positive you'll make it.

Heheee OMG yeah 497 choices ... for every choice made, new appears, but I get wiser for every thread I read in here, thanks to you all. I'm sooo gratefull for all your advices. I read your MOD advice, and it will ruminate in the back of my head untill the days where I'm ready for those steps. Nice to imagine the future, experiment on the drawing board with some setups, while still enjoying where I am at now. Smokefree/VapeDay nr. 9 :w00t:
I'm sooo surprised, and so are my surroundings ;) I can do it!

Changes since 2 days ago:
- I still run 50/50 e-liquids from same local vendor, but geared down to try both 3+6mg, and the 6mg works fine for me using MTL ... relieved, and "heavy lung"/"too tiny throat"-feeling and shortness of breath, is improving slowly ... peeeeew!!!!! I know this process will take time, and if "waiting" means "being patient because the longer time i wait, the more my body and lung functionality is improving", I can be extremely patient and wait forever :D

- As you mentioned, yeaaaah I also got to have some extra evod clearomizers & mini tanks, to be able to change quick between several juices. My own E-Liquid Library ... maybe in an old dark pirate like wooden box ... nice deep soft reading chair, a rolling minibar with some superb Portwine ready on the side ... "Honey, I'm home " :vapor:

- A huuuge step ... I got me a Nautilus Mini + eLeaf iStick TC40w AND I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of the various e-liquids I've ordered, because I don't want to "soil" my new nauty mini with the juices I have right now. Uuuuh, I look sooo much forward to a hopefully happy start with the mini ... like being 5 years old again, waiting for christmas :D I know that the both the TC and the 40w are a bit overkill for my use atm (<15w), but it leaves space for furher experiements once i'm ready... and the price was the same as for the iStick 20w??? BTW with the iStick I can now enjoy the evod more.

Nautilus Mini vs. Kanger Subtank Mini ... I choose the nautilus, because I went for the best MTL experience, which me and my lungs desperately needed. Less airflow, a little higher Ohm with (1.2 vs. 1.8). When my lungs have adjusted some more, i would be tempted to try out the Kanger subtank v.2 with the bigger holes in the coil :)

Questions: Do I have to change the coil as part of cleaning the tank when changing to a new e-liquid? Is it realy effective enough to "burn out" the coil? ... and how to do that with the aspire bvc on my setup?

Guess it's not fair to diss the juice I have right now, but in just a few days, I have become to expect much more complexity in the flavour ... something to "go flavour-hunting for" and less monotoneus and simple than "just another artificial version of a <insert fruit flavour>".

I read & watch a lot of reviews, and unfortunately I'm left with that type of info to base most of my liquid buying choices from. It's sure a nerdy buisiness ... I'm starting to try to figure out which reviewer mostly has a palette like mine ;) On basis of this, I strategically ordered some liquids, incl. Five Pawns testers ... once I have tasted them, I will be wiser on which reviewer to take inspiration from and for my continuus search after my first fully satisfying ADV :)

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
You have already received a bunch of great advice, so I will only address this one specific problem. I recently helped another new forum member with a similar issue. He was getting a sore throat because he had not primed his coils before starting to Vape. Did you prime your coil? Are you still on your first coil?

If you are priming and replacing your coils, then I would look to next steps.

I personally have found that some flavors and some juice lines really hurt my throat. Vape Wild, is a very popular juice line here at ECF, but all 9 of the samples that I received from them absolutely kill my throat.

I completely agree. This is what I started with. I will go one step further, and suggest that you figure out the sore throat and heavy lungs before you purchase something bigger and more powerful. If your sore throat and heavy lungs are being caused by Vaping, you will want to figure that out before it is exacerbated from equipment producing higher quantities of vapor.

Uh yeah, very relevant points of you. Thank you. Fortunately, I read a thread on this before it happend to me. I like all this cozy prep priming. Seen a lot of youTube vids on this subject, so I've been nursing the few coils I have had to prep, the best I know of (which is more theory than practice). No dry hits and no drowning so far captain jjatl :)

On your advice I found some flavours that I will proceed carefull with ... cinnamon, mentol/mint, citrus

Reactions: jjatl

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
I see there is a lot of great advice here already for you, so I will just say Hi and Welcome to the Forum!! Congrats on your resolve, and good luck on your wonderful journey!
Thank you :) and yes it is, is'nt it ... a wonderfull journey. I would never have imagined that I would be able to replace smoking with something better than smoking ... even somthing delicious :w00t: how awesome is that!

Reactions: LouisLeBeau

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
the size that ended up being the standard... the 510 connector. Otherwise, the atomizer simply has the wrong screw connector.

Modern dripping now usually means using a 510 connector, but a much larger base. You make your own coils, and put in your own cotton. Nothing wrong with that, but it does require a bit of knowledge. I'd get off the stinkies first.

How fortunate that they have been able to settle on some standards like the 510. Makes ife easier for us noobs :)

I agree in getting rid of the stinky's first. I do not smoke, but with the nautilus/iStick setup I have now, I will be fine for a while, while getting the cigarettes behind me.
I am very curious though ... when getting a new e-liquid, it would be nice to experience that taste/aroma as "correctly" as it was intended, designed and mixed to taste like ... I like the discovering of the elements in a complex taste ... and even more now with my smell/taste senses are reawakend.

What would be the cheapest, easiet, yet well functioning noob setup be for dripping? Is there som kind of 510 attachement that would work for the iStick? If I would like to avoid the coil making for starters, would some kind of mech mod then work for me? What would you suggest? (for some time in the future).

BTW ... quiet appealing concept of pseudo DIY liquid cooking you got there.
I will try to find you in here again for some advice on this, once I know more about which flavours I like.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
What would be the cheapest, easiet, yet well functioning noob setup be for dripping? Is there som kind of 510 attachement that would work for the iStick? If I would like to avoid the coil making for starters, would some kind of mech mod then work for me? What would you suggest? (for some time in the future).

You will not need a different mod to drip. Drippers thread onto the 510 in place of a tank, and the istick will work just fine for smaller RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers). But, I am unaware of an RDA that can use factory coils. As far as I know, you need to wind your own coils and wick them, or you could go to a B&M and have them do this for you, but it is pricey.

I purchased a derringer RDA clone for sampling for $10. It is great to be able to go into a B&M with my own equipment and taste their juices without having to their devices.

The derringer has great taste and does not require a ton of power. It would work fine on an istick.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
You will not need a different mod to drip. Drippers thread onto the 510 in place of a tank, and the istick will work just fine for smaller RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizers). But, I am unaware of an RDA that can use factory coils. As far as I know, you need to wind your own coils and wick them, or you could go to a B&M and have them do this for you, but it is pricey.

I purchased a derringer RDA clone for sampling for $10. It is great to be able to go into a B&M with my own equipment and taste their juices without having to their devices.

The derringer has great taste and does not require a ton of power. It would work fine on an istick.

Oh... and there is no need to be scared or nervous about building your own coils. I started building my own somewhere around my 2week mark. It was way easier than I anticipated! You really only need to purchase a $5 coil of Kanthal and $5 bag of cotton to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread