Not open for further replies.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
:smokie:

Heheee OMG yeah 497 choices ... for every choice made, new appears, but I get wiser for every thread I read in here, thanks to you all. I'm sooo gratefull for all your advices. I read your mod advice, and it will ruminate in the back of my head untill the days where I'm ready for those steps. Nice to imagine the future, experiment on the drawing board with some setups, while still enjoying where I am at now. Smokefree/VapeDay nr. 9 :w00t:
I'm sooo surprised, and so are my surroundings ;) I can do it!

Changes since 2 days ago:
- I still run 50/50 e-liquids from same local vendor, but geared down to try both 3+6mg, and the 6mg works fine for me using MTL ... relieved, and "heavy lung"/"too tiny throat"-feeling and shortness of breath, is improving slowly ... peeeeew!!!!! I know this process will take time, and if "waiting" means "being patient because the longer time i wait, the more my body and lung functionality is improving", I can be extremely patient and wait forever :D

- As you mentioned, yeaaaah I also got to have some extra evod clearomizers & mini tanks, to be able to change quick between several juices. My own e-liquid Library ... maybe in an old dark pirate like wooden box ... nice deep soft reading chair, a rolling minibar with some superb Portwine ready on the side ... "Honey, I'm home " :vapor:

- A huuuge step ... I got me a Nautilus Mini + eLeaf iStick TC40w AND I'm patiently awaiting the arrival of the various e-liquids I've ordered, because I don't want to "soil" my new nauty mini with the juices I have right now. Uuuuh, I look sooo much forward to a hopefully happy start with the mini ... like being 5 years old again, waiting for christmas :D I know that the both the TC and the 40w are a bit overkill for my use atm (<15w), but it leaves space for furher experiements once i'm ready... and the price was the same as for the iStick 20w??? BTW with the iStick I can now enjoy the evod more.

Nautilus Mini vs. Kanger Subtank Mini ... I choose the nautilus, because I went for the best MTL experience, which me and my lungs desperately needed. Less airflow, a little higher Ohm with (1.2 vs. 1.8). When my lungs have adjusted some more, i would be tempted to try out the Kanger subtank v.2 with the bigger holes in the coil :)

Questions: Do I have to change the coil as part of cleaning the tank when changing to a new e-liquid? Is it realy effective enough to "burn out" the coil? ... and how to do that with the aspire bvc on my setup?

Guess it's not fair to diss the juice I have right now, but in just a few days, I have become to expect much more complexity in the flavour ... something to "go flavour-hunting for" and less monotoneus and simple than "just another artificial version of a <insert fruit flavour>".

I read & watch a lot of reviews, and unfortunately I'm left with that type of info to base most of my liquid buying choices from. It's sure a nerdy buisiness ... I'm starting to try to figure out which reviewer mostly has a palette like mine ;) On basis of this, I strategically ordered some liquids, incl. Five Pawns testers ... once I have tasted them, I will be wiser on which reviewer to take inspiration from and for my continuus search after my first fully satisfying ADV :)

You made the right decision with the 40 watt iStick. I wouldn't even begin to try the temp control function until you figure out the watt/power mode. Find your stride first, then experiment/grow.

Your taste buds will change over time. I wasn't able to really appreciate the creamier vapes until a few weeks into vape as ciggs dull the tastebuds. They will recover in an amazing way, be patient. A juice you don't care for now may be a favorite in a few weeks. The best recommendation I can give for the flavor chase is to find a local vape shop and go sample some different flavors.

You'll love the Nautilus. Be sure and prime the Nautilus coil before use. Some people recommend a drop or two of juice down the chimney of the coil. I would put a new coil in and then cover the air holes in the tank drawing sharply a few times. This draws juice into the wick. Then let it sit for 5 minutes. Start with low power (around 8 to 10 watts) and take a slow short hit and then up the power a little and repeat. Once you burn a coil it's done, you have to replace. If it gets too warm, starts to taste burnt or tastes funny, back the power down.

The Nautilus will draw a strong vacuum with use. Sometimes it gets difficult to open. I would wrap a rubber band around the bottom and it would function like a kitchen jar gripper making it easy to unscrew. (remove rubber band before use)

I never swapped out a coil when changing flavors. I would riunse out the glass top part and use a paper towel to wipe down the bottom part with the coil. Dry the top glass, add new juice and then puff away. The old flavor usually disappears in 5 or 6 puffs. DO NOT attempt to "burn out a coil".

We have a term, "shineyitis". It's the irresistible urge to buy the latest and greatest or more vape gear. It will effect you just like it has the rest of us. Personally I feel like 90% of it is hype when a new product comes out. I was very content for months with the Nautilus so I bought more of them. I wanted to try and cut down my nic level in juice "before" moving into sub ohm just as a personal preference. I started at 12 mg and didn't sub ohm until I hit 3 mg. (by then I had also started DIY juice). Diy juice is also another form of shineyitis that I have enjoyed.

I don't put much trust in reviews for juices. Everyone has different tastes and it's rumored a lot of the reviews are paid or placed by the manufacturer. Gear reviews are good to know the functions, but 99% of them are also telling you this is the greatest thing going.

You're doing great! :) (my comfy vape chair is a recliner, though I am known to prop my feet up on my desk quite often.)

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
I don't put much trust in reviews for juices. Everyone has different tastes and it's rumored a lot of the reviews are paid or placed by the manufacturer.

It is interesting that you said this as I have not heard those rumors, but I was wondering it myself. I have made 3 purchases of juice from internet sites based upon reviews I read on ECF. 2 of those 3 were budget juices with raving reviews on ECF. While the flavors were ok, the juices were both extremely harsh and hurt my throat. I cannot imagine how anyone who has had good juice would like these juices. They are just horrible. That makes me think that the people making these reviews have to be incentivized to do so. I do not see any other possible explanation.

On the flip side, the 3rd juice purchase I made was a premium juice manufacturer recommended by many on the site. It was amazing, but far too pricey for me to purchase regularly. I have also not found the harshness of the 2 budget juices in any juice made by my local B&Ms.

I will most likely not be making any more internet juice purchases unless I am able to sample them first. While I was hoping to find good, inexpensive juice, I have wasted too much money on that search. The quality, selection and price of my local stores is sufficient, and that is where I will be making my purchases going forward.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
It is interesting that you said this as I have not heard those rumors, but I was wondering it myself. I have made 3 purchases of juice from internet sites based upon reviews I read on ECF. 2 of those 3 were budget juices with raving reviews on ECF. While the flavors were ok, the juices were both extremely harsh and hurt my throat. I cannot imagine how anyone who has had good juice would like these juices. They are just horrible. That makes me think that the people making these reviews have to be incentivized to do so. I do not see any other possible explanation.

On the flip side, the 3rd juice purchase I made was a premium juice manufacturer recommended by many on the site. It was amazing, but far too pricey for me to purchase regularly. I have also not found the harshness of the 2 budget juices in any juice made by my local B&Ms.

I will most likely not be making any more internet juice purchases unless I am able to sample them first. While I was hoping to find good, inexpensive juice, I have wasted too much money on that search. The quality, selection and price of my local stores is sufficient, and that is where I will be making my purchases going forward.
I pretty much look at the flavor profile as opposed to the "reviews". I've left a few reviews on juices but my tastes are probably different than yours. I'd suggest sampling from a local store to see what you like then look online if you're so inclined.

Another good way to sample juice is to enter in the contests and try and win some. Contests Look at the last couple pages and see if there is a contest or two which interest you.

Quite a few juice companies sell sampler packs of juice. I've also gone this route in my search.
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

Good luck in your journey. :)

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Oh... and there is no need to be scared or nervous about building your own coils. I started building my own somewhere around my 2week mark. It was way easier than I anticipated! You really only need to purchase a $5 coil of Kanthal and $5 bag of cotton to get started.
Ooookay, so what measurements for the kanthal and is there a special type of cotton that works better with both high VG as well as "standard" 50/50?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Ooookay, so what measurements for the kanthal and is there a special type of cotton that works better with both high VG as well as "standard" 50/50?
You will need a few things to build your own coil, but first you should realize the Nautilus is a total pain to recoil. Most people who coil/recoil are using a tank with an rba (re buildable atty) where it's easier to do.
1. You will need to save this link :Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators you input the desired resistance, the coil diameter and the wire size and it will tell you how many wraps you need.
2. A coiling jig like the Kuro Koiler (what I have) or Coilmaster are very helpful. (look for you tube videos)
3. Kanthal wire (most common size is 28, 26, and 24 AWG I would guess). Kanthal is used for power mode. For temperature control you would need Nickel, Titanium, or Stainless wire. The steam engine has inputs for temp control wire. There are different specs for each.
4. The most common and recommended cotton is "Koh Gen Do". I just got a box on Amazon recently, which will be cheaper than the local vape shop.
5. I actually started rebuilding coils on the Nautilus. (from a you tube video) I wouldn't recommend it as the Kanger Subtanks are much easier. When you grow into the Subtank realm I would highly suggest learning to build your own coils. It is really easy.

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA

For wick material, I prefer rayon, personally. You can get it at any Sally's Beauty Supply store or online.
Check out the thread link below to learn all the tips and tricks, and if you have any questions about it, either post them to the thread (everyone is very friendly there) or feel free to PM me.

Rayon Wick Part 2

As far as wire gauges go, it's going to depend on the atomizer for which you are building the coils. Some have more room than others. I would suggest 28g Kanthal A1 as a good starter. You're probably going to want to build to around 1 - 1.5 ohms with a single coil. I'd hold off on the dual coil set-ups until you're more comfortable with how everything works.

Reactions: Mette

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
You will need a few things to build your own coil, but first you should realize the Nautilus is a total pain to recoil. Most people who coil/recoil are using a tank with an rba (re buildable atty) where it's easier to do.
1. You will need to save this link :Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators you input the desired resistance, the coil diameter and the wire size and it will tell you how many wraps you need.
2. A coiling jig like the Kuro Koiler (what I have) or Coilmaster are very helpful. (look for you tube videos)
3. Kanthal wire (most common size is 28, 26, and 24 AWG I would guess). Kanthal is used for power mode. For temperature control you would need Nickel, Titanium, or Stainless wire. The steam engine has inputs for temp control wire. There are different specs for each.
4. The most common and recommended cotton is "Koh Gen Do". I just got a box on Amazon recently, which will be cheaper than the local vape shop.
5. I actually started rebuilding coils on the Nautilus. (from a you tube video) I wouldn't recommend it as the Kanger Subtanks are much easier. When you grow into the Subtank realm I would highly suggest learning to build your own coils. It is really easy.

So, if I get an RDA Derringer, some Koh Gen Do cotton, an Ohm meter, I already have plenty of small screwdrivers and drills to wring the wire around... then what size of Kanthal wire would I need, what si<ze of drill should I choose to wring the wire around (3mm, 4mm, ?) and how many turns ... when the setup I will use the coild build for is:

- the iStick 40w
- Derringer RDA
- 1.2-1.6 ohm (for a good mouth to lung hit ... correct?)
- Best possible flavour profile with E-Liquids that are 50/50 or 40pg/60vg

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
So, if I get an RDA Derringer, some Koh Gen Do cotton, an Ohm meter, I already have plenty of small screwdrivers and drills to wring the wire around... then what size of Kanthal wire would I need, what si<ze of drill should I choose to wring the wire around (3mm, 4mm, ?) and how many turns ... when the setup I will use the coild build for is:

- the iStick 40w
- Derringer RDA

On my Derringer, I use a 2.5 or 3mm jewelers screwdriver. More often that not, I think I use the 3mm. I use a different wire and a lower resistance, but 28g Kanthal would work well for what you are aiming for.
Flavor wise, you won't notice much difference between 50/50 or 60/40...

Sorry for butting in, I just can't resist putting in my two cents... :lol:

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
On my Derringer, I use a 2.5 or 3mm jewelers screwdriver. More often that not, I think I use the 3mm. I use a different wire and a lower resistance, but 28g Kanthal would work well for what you are aiming for.
Flavor wise, you won't notice much difference between 50/50 or 60/40...

Sorry for butting in, I just can't resist putting in my two cents... :lol:
Oh I absolutely appreciate all the advice I can get ... and it is so motivating and intriguing as well ... had not set my mind up to doing coil or any fancy mod stuff yet ... aaaargh but it is sooo tempting.

... must... create ... precious ... ringssss

This whole gear research and mod tinker twisting also takes my focus of from smoking .... even from vaping?!

I will be back tomorrow ... have to go now

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
ok ... so, if I want a 1.2 ohm single coil (and be happy with all from 1.0-1.5 ohm), then I use:

Kanthal A1, AWG diameter 28 and 0.32 mm (is that 28 gauge?)
I wrap the wire almost 8 times around 2mm drill, and that should be 1,2 Ohm?

That sounds about right... but apparently my work firewall suddenly decided to block steamengine for some unknown reason... :-x

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Oh I absolutely appreciate all the advice I can get ... and it is so motivating and intriguing as well ... had not set my mind up to doing coil or any fancy mod stuff yet ... aaaargh but it is sooo tempting.

This whole gear research and mod tinker twisting also takes my focus of from smoking .... even from vaping?!

I know exactly what you mean... I can get almost 'Zen-like' when wrapping coils...

Have a good day/night!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome @Mette!

So glad you've come to join us :)

You've got some great suggestions from everyone here so far. Do remember, we're offering suggestions based on what *WE* like. So, be patient with us as we throw all kinds of things in your direction. If not mentioned (I quickly skimmed because I wanted to get the thoughts in my head out before I forgot them), you should definitely consider having at least 2 devices (batteries/mods) and a couple of toppers (tanks, RDA/RBA.) Multiple toppers is nice in case you want to change flavors without having to empty/clean an existing tank. Multiple devices means one can be charging while the other is in use (or in the dreadful event that you break or lose a device! :shock: )

I would say get (edit: start with) smaller sizes of flavors in different mixes (I prefer higher-VG juices - I make my own) Varying nic levels to help curb cravings (I'm settled in between 9-12mg for daily usage.) A little lower when pushing an RDA.

Good Luck to you! Keep visiting - ask your questions. The only "dumb" question is the unasked one ;)

Last edited:

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA

- the iStick 40w
- Derringer RDA
Here are the numbers in the Steam Engine calculator (28 awg Kanthal, 1.4 ohm target, 3mm diameter, ) :
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators =6 turns

5 turns/wraps is 1.2 ohm, 7 wraps is 1.5 ohm , it's a matter of preference but I like my coils to be 6 wraps minimum. If you want to build lower, decrease the diameter of the wrap like in this one :
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators 2.5 mm at 6 wraps is 1.2 ohm

Reactions: Kaezziel

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
ok ... so, if I want a 1.2 ohm single coil (and be happy with all from 1.0-1.5 ohm), then I use:

Kanthal A1, AWG diameter 28 and 0.32 mm (is that 28 gauge?)
I wrap the wire almost 8 times around 2mm drill, and that should be 1,2 Ohm?

Looks good. I personally do a 2.5mm wrap 7-8 times right around that same level of resistance and I vape it around 14watts.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

looks like they gave you some good advice while I was gone. :) Yes, the derringer is a good first dripper, and it's one that is designed for flavor. It can be configured for both one and two coil setups, and it's tiny.

Man, times have changed since I first began to build my own coils. They now have coiling jigs, and tools to make things easier, post holes for the wire to go in easier, and the fact that everything is cheaper all together. For a first time rebuilder, things are in a whole different level.

First of all, you already have a regulated device. I definitely wouldn't go mechanical. your device should handle a pretty low build... .5 ohms. Personally, I would stick with a 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coil, and like others suggested,kanthal 28 gauge. That's been my main wire gauge for a while. (I'm not a big sub-ohmer). 28 gauge seems to bee the go to for 1.2 to 1.5 ohms. I have 32 gauge, but I use that for rebuilding tiny coils.

I would link several videos on how to rebuild, but there are so many to choose from and everyone has their own method. just do a search for "RBA rebuild and you will see several types of rebuilding styles... most of them tend to focus on sub ohming. But the main difference between a subohm build and a 1.2 ohm build, is thickness and size of the coils.. everything else is pretty much the same.

General idea of dripping... forget the tank, and just put the e-juice straight on the cotton. It will require you to keep the juice on hand, and constant dripping, (don't drip and drive), but the flavor is better overall, since you're controlling how saturated your cotton is. Speaking of cotton, I would use Ko-jen-do or Muji cotton. Those are brands of cotton from Japan originally designed for the cosmetic market. It's cotton that they do not put through a bleaching method and and clean it thoroughly. Cotton bought off the shelves usually have been bleached or processed with chemicals. You CAN do organic cotton, but most who do that usually boil it first to get rid of any excess chemicals. Personally, I say just buy the Japanese cotton... you spend about $2 more, but it's worth it in labor and peace of mind.

I too own a Derringer, but I own a copy (clone). I chose a clone because 1, it's much cheaper and 2, it takes regular phillips head screws. I hate having to look for allen keys when I need to rebuild. they do offer a nice handle to tighten down the screws, but I still prefer the regular screwdriver. If you can find one locally, then I suggest go there and ask questions. Watching videos is one thing, but you can't ask videos questions. :) I ordered mine online and this is what I bought. Took me a month to get it, but it works great.

When you get one, let me know. I don't check the forums every day, but usually several times per week. There's a bunch of great people on here, so they to will steer you straight!

happy vaping!

Reactions: jjatl

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
1 month later ... 2xevod, 3xnautilus mini, subvod w. nano v2, ego one, triton mini and 2 wonderfull drippers Derringer & Magma ... building too, yes I am. I followed your advice the best I was capable of.

I have not smoked any cigarets since the 29th december ... TaTaDaaaaa, I'm amazed, highly entertained, puzzled, breathing better than since long time, reliefed, happy and very gratefull for all the good advice you all gave me when I arrived in here as a noob. Thank you!!!

So what has happend ... Shinyitis ... was that the word? .... yeah, it hit me... hard, and it has been a fun ride so far. My budget has changed the gear to a slow down though. My next step, is to get the best out of what I have, and solve my problems. Oh yeah, there are some issues... mainly gurgling! Although reading a lot about it, it still hunts me. Fixing a gurgle is one thing. I'm well covered there. Avoiding gurgling (as much as possible) would be better! How do I avoid gurgling?

I'm experimenting with semi DL, but I am a flavourchasing MTL vaper desperately trying to regulate my draw, but my tanks continuisly start to gurgle.

I have my trusty Kangertech eVOD's. They are very forgiving for my lack of vaping technique and easy to fix. I am wondering, how come my e-liquids taste so intense in these, compared to the other beforementioned tanks? Is it the narrow chimney? Narrow drip tip? Coil wick type? Why can't I get the same taste elsewhere unless I drip?

The Nautilus mini's ... mmm I like the smoooth vape and delicate flavours they give. Not as intense as the evod's, but still better. Looking forward to try out the new 1.2ohm kanthal + 1.8ohm clapton in them. Will use up the rest of my BVC coils first, just in case the flavour really is so much better with the new coils.
They start gurgling very easy! ... I have tried with a very light draw over 4-5 seconds, biggest airhole, 1.8ohm, 3.3-4.2V, almost only 50/50... was patient and fixed the gurgling 3-4 times before changing coils... I almost don't dare to breath in anymore, and maybe that could be the problem? Too light draws? I would like to be able to have a normal light sucking draw 4-5 seconds, on the smallest airhole. Possible? Same problem with the Triton mini.

Ego One ... argh!!! Just tried the 1.0ohm CLR coils today, and so far it has helped. No leaking, but a feisty tempered explosive spitting and gurgling. I really want to make this setup work. It's still a bit feisty with crackling sounds with the CLR coil, and I have to use a 5cm Taifun driptip for safety distance. I use 50/50. Will higher VG help + build of >1.2ohm? Saw a YouTube review, where Grimmgreen called this his stealth vape ... no chance.

A typical vaping break at home for me, is a lot of rotating ...first a mini for 4 draws, then gurgle, fix gurgle, 2 draws then gurgle ... rotate to ego one ... ARGH I'm hit by lava spit! ... rotate to next mini, 10 peacefull draws, then empty .. then subvod, but too airy draws and lack of flavour, dull .... then a peacefull break with an EVOD, no problems. Looking at the row of shiny tanks and figuring out which one to try + fix first. Wondering why tank don't work for me? Am I a flavourchasing MTL dripper only?

Reactions: Kaezziel

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
I believe in walking before running. At one point I had 5 of the Nautilus Mini's. I kept different flavors in each tank as I swap flavors often and it made it easier than switching out and cleaning a tank just to change flavors

I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with my vaping technique, since my tanks tend to gurgle very fast. You have dealt with several mini's over time ... how would you best describe "the right" MTL setting/draw for the mini?

I use 50pg/50vg, 1.6-1.8 ohm, 3.3-4 v. I try to have as light a suck as possible over 4-5 seconds ... I have reached a point where I almost only breath extremely lightly ... it does not feel relaxed and the gurgle still happens.

I have no leaking or other type of flooding. I am ok with all the fixing advices. I think that maybe it is my technique ... how I vape, that needs fixing.

Reactions: jjatl

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Hey Mette! As far as preventing gurgling altogether, do you have any of these tanks:

Vaporesso Target Tank
Melo 2
iJust 2
Atlantis
Atlantis V2
Herakles
Heatvape Ecotank
AnyVape Fury Tank
AnyVape Fury Tank 2
Triton V1

There is a new coil head on the market called the cCell which uses a ceramic wick. They are compatible with the above tanks and I've been using them for a little over a month now. Awesome flavor, and I have yet to experience one gurgle and have had zero leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread