*PUFF* ... new member appeared ... Hi all

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with my vaping technique, since my tanks tend to gurgle very fast. You have dealt with several mini's over time ... how would you best describe "the right" MTL setting/draw for the mini?

I use 50pg/50vg, 1.6-1.8 ohm, 3.3-4 v. I try to have as light a suck as possible over 4-5 seconds ... I have reached a point where I almost only breath extremely lightly ... it does not feel relaxed and the gurgle still happens.

I have no leaking or other type of flooding. I am ok with all the fixing advices. I think that maybe it is my technique ... how I vape, that needs fixing.

Unfortunately I do know own any of those specific tanks, but I have experienced similar things on other tanks.

I am wondering, could getting rid of the gurgling be as simple as adjusting the wattage? If it is gurgling because the tank is flooding, increasing the wattage should help. Have you tried that to see if that fixes it?

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Hey Mette! As far as preventing gurgling altogether, do you have any of these tanks:

Vaporesso Target Tank
Melo 2
iJust 2
Atlantis
Atlantis V2
Herakles
Heatvape Ecotank
AnyVape Fury Tank
AnyVape Fury Tank 2
Triton V1

There is a new coil head on the market called the cCell which uses a ceramic wick. They are compatible with the above tanks and I've been using them for a little over a month now. Awesome flavor, and I have yet to experience one gurgle and have had zero leaks.

Wooow (imagines a world without gurgling) ARGH, nooo I don't have those tanks ... closest would be the Triton mini from the Odyssey mini kit.
Do the Triton V1 coils fit the Triton mini? ... if yes, then the coils from Triton mini are backwards compatible with the nautilus(mini) :)

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
Wooow (imagines a world without gurgling) ARGH, nooo I don't have those tanks ... closest would be the Triton mini from the Odyssey mini kit.
Do the Triton V1 coils fit the Triton mini? ... if yes, then the coils from Triton mini are backwards compatible with the nautilus(mini) :)
i believe the triton mini coils only fit triton mini and nautilus - the full size triton coils are a different form factor

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Unfortunately I do know own any of those specific tanks, but I have experienced similar things on other tanks.

I am wondering, could getting rid of the gurgling be as simple as adjusting the wattage? If it is gurgling because the tank is flooding, increasing the wattage should help. Have you tried that to see if that fixes it?

Hmmm, I have read about it, but only made half hearted attempts in that direction so far, because the e-liquids i vape prefer low watt. Wouldn't the 1.8 ohm clapton coil then be the solution with 13-16w? Only had that one up to 14.5w . Will try some more.

Reactions: jjatl

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Hmmm, I have read about it, but only made half hearted attempts in that direction so far, because the e-liquids i vape prefer low watt. Wouldn't the 1.8 ohm clapton coil then be the solution with 13-16w? Only had that one up to 14.5w . Will try some more.

Hmmm... I do not know... Maybe a Nautilus Mini Expert can chime in. Sorry...

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA

Nope, the cCells won't work with the Nauti or the Triton mini. :(
Just in case you ever do end up with one of the tanks I listed, get the 0.9 ohm kanthal cCells. You'll probably want to run them at around 25-30 watts, but it should still be a relatively cool/moderately warm vape. You can pinch the airflow down quite a bit to accomodate MTL vaping. Even after building my own coils and stuff for about two years now, I must say that I am very impressed with the ceramic cCells. Flavor, longevity, lack of leaks and gurgling... they are everything I ever wanted from a factory coil back in the day. I switched to rebuilding because nothing existed that didn't just suck back then. These are very low maintenance and perform wonderfully.

If you want to read a little more about it, I've got a review thread running here:
Great New Mod = Awesome Performance
And you can purchase the kits/tanks/coils here:
Target Kit at Heaven Gifts They have the purple and rose gold in stock right now.
Target Kits and Tanks at FastTech

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I'm trying to figure out what might be wrong with my vaping technique, since my tanks tend to gurgle very fast. You have dealt with several mini's over time ... how would you best describe "the right" MTL setting/draw for the mini?

I use 50pg/50vg, 1.6-1.8 ohm, 3.3-4 v. I try to have as light a suck as possible over 4-5 seconds ... I have reached a point where I almost only breath extremely lightly ... it does not feel relaxed and the gurgle still happens.

I have no leaking or other type of flooding. I am ok with all the fixing advices. I think that maybe it is my technique ... how I vape, that needs fixing.
The Nautilus tanks tend to gurgle a bit. The most common occurrence is a flooded coil. The first thing to try is to raise the power up a notch so that the coil vaporizes the juice at a faster rate. When I was using mine I vaped between 12 and 15 watts mostly, and gurgles were rare (I preferred watts as to volts, set the watts on my iStick and let it set the volts). The Nautilus should be a very comfortable vape. I used the middle airflow setting, and remember taking comfortable mouth to lung draws.

50/50 juice is a good balance and I doubt it is causing an issue with the light draws you make. You should be able to take really nice draws as this juice would wick faster than a higher VG one. More common is people getting a gurgle when they take really hard draws and then the juice rushes to re wick and floods the coil.

If you're using an iStick click 3 times on the fire button and it will switch to watts. See what the watts are compared to the 12 to 15 area (and you can vape higher than the 15 "usually" with the Nautilus) that I used. Bumping up the power may help you find your comfort zone. You should also change the airflow to see which setting lets you vape comfortably at each power setting.

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Nope, the cCells won't work with the Nauti or the Triton mini. :(
Just in case you ever do end up with one of the tanks I listed, get the 0.9 ohm kanthal cCells. You'll probably want to run them at around 25-30 watts, but it should still be a relatively cool/moderately warm vape. You can pinch the airflow down quite a bit to accomodate MTL vaping. Even after building my own coils and stuff for about two years now, I must say that I am very impressed with the ceramic cCells. Flavor, longevity, lack of leaks and gurgling... they are everything I ever wanted from a factory coil back in the day. I switched to rebuilding because nothing existed that didn't just suck back then. These are very low maintenance and perform wonderfully.

If you want to read a little more about it, I've got a review thread running here:
Great New Mod = Awesome Performance
And you can purchase the kits/tanks/coils here:
Target Kit at Heaven Gifts They have the purple and rose gold in stock right now.
Target Kits and Tanks at FastTech

Hi Kaezziel

I have actually been looking into information about the Target, and felt tempted, until I read about some issues with ceramic "dust" ... has that issue been cleared? ... if yes, then only decision left, would be to decide on a lightsaber model or a 80's joystick version :rolleyes: It might not be the next step for a while though. Will dive more into the dripper stuff first.

Reactions: Kaezziel

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
The flavour and somewhat cozy hazle of dripping, I like :) ... it feels kinda like going back to basics ... liquid, fire, flavour, UGH!
Besides from doing some higher watts according to your advice, I have also started to DL a little, because it seems a "more natural" airflow for the subtank nano, triton mini and Ego One ... and yes, it gives less gurgling, but sadly also less flavour. I still haven't tried to heighten the watts on the mini's.

DL vaping w. no gurgles on:
DNA40 clone (hehe, it's actually called a DNA35, but there is no 35 chip?) w. Subtank Nano, 1,6 ohm at 10-11w and a 40pg/60vg.
Pegasus mini w. Triton mini, 1.8ohm clapton at 15.5w and a max VG.

DL + MTL on Ego One, 1ohm CLR and 3,5cm safety distance driptip ... still spitting, fighting and flooding, but works better with the CLR.

Best MTL tight draw w. no gurgles on:
Magma
Derringer
EVOD's
50% of the time on Mini's if using a very light draw

I like drippers with the excellent flavour and tight draw that I get on the Magma + Derringer, and since I have started with DL, I thought that if I combined dripper with a tank, they might even become a little more mobile devices? ... I'm waiting for an Avocado + a Haze dripper tank clone. Was looking at the Magma Reborn, hoping for tight MTL with less condensation splashes, but I don't see what a big difference the Retro version would actually bring?

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
looks like they gave you some good advice while I was gone. :) Yes, the derringer is a good first dripper, and it's one that is designed for flavor. It can be configured for both one and two coil setups, and it's tiny.

Man, times have changed since I first began to build my own coils. They now have coiling jigs, and tools to make things easier, post holes for the wire to go in easier, and the fact that everything is cheaper all together. For a first time rebuilder, things are in a whole different level.

First of all, you already have a regulated device. I definitely wouldn't go mechanical. your device should handle a pretty low build... .5 ohms. Personally, I would stick with a 1.2 to 1.5 ohm coil, and like others suggested,kanthal 28 gauge. That's been my main wire gauge for a while. (I'm not a big sub-ohmer). 28 gauge seems to bee the go to for 1.2 to 1.5 ohms. I have 32 gauge, but I use that for rebuilding tiny coils.

I would link several videos on how to rebuild, but there are so many to choose from and everyone has their own method. just do a search for "RBA rebuild and you will see several types of rebuilding styles... most of them tend to focus on sub ohming. But the main difference between a subohm build and a 1.2 ohm build, is thickness and size of the coils.. everything else is pretty much the same.

General idea of dripping... forget the tank, and just put the e-juice straight on the cotton. It will require you to keep the juice on hand, and constant dripping, (don't drip and drive), but the flavor is better overall, since you're controlling how saturated your cotton is. Speaking of cotton, I would use Ko-jen-do or Muji cotton. Those are brands of cotton from Japan originally designed for the cosmetic market. It's cotton that they do not put through a bleaching method and and clean it thoroughly. Cotton bought off the shelves usually have been bleached or processed with chemicals. You CAN do organic cotton, but most who do that usually boil it first to get rid of any excess chemicals. Personally, I say just buy the Japanese cotton... you spend about $2 more, but it's worth it in labor and peace of mind.

I too own a Derringer, but I own a copy (clone). I chose a clone because 1, it's much cheaper and 2, it takes regular phillips head screws. I hate having to look for allen keys when I need to rebuild. they do offer a nice handle to tighten down the screws, but I still prefer the regular screwdriver. If you can find one locally, then I suggest go there and ask questions. Watching videos is one thing, but you can't ask videos questions. :) I ordered mine online and this is what I bought. Took me a month to get it, but it works great.

When you get one, let me know. I don't check the forums every day, but usually several times per week. There's a bunch of great people on here, so they to will steer you straight!

happy vaping!

I was wondering ... do you have a recommended coil build aimed for best Derringer flavour?
Around 1.2-1-6ohm for 50/50 and 40pg/60vg e-liquids?

Is Clapton wire worth a try, or something else? Only tried a prebuild 1.8ohm clapton coil for the Triton mini so far ... it broke in much faster in the tank, and the flavour was good, but comparable with the new prebuild kanthal 1.2 (using new wicking cotton).

So far, I have only been building within this range, using 28g Kanthal A1 and a 2-3mm diameter, trying out micro coils and the (what do you call it when using a screw to create distance between the wraps?). Using the Ko-Jen-Do cotton.

Awaiting delivery of 2 dripper tanks, Avocado and the Haze Dripper Tank clone. Plan on using a single vertical coil setup. Would you have any recommondation on coil for these? Been seeing some YouTube reviews on these builds, but not sure they are suitable for noob MTL, semi DL :confused:

Avocado will be my first original :rolleyes: ... the Magma, Derringer and soon Haze are all clones. I presume that a clone will be an ok test device, and for the less advanced models even almost just as good :blush:

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Hi Kaezziel

I have actually been looking into information about the Target, and felt tempted, until I read about some issues with ceramic "dust" ... has that issue been cleared? ... if yes, then only decision left, would be to decide on a lightsaber model or a 80's joystick version :rolleyes: It might not be the next step for a while though. Will dive more into the dripper stuff first.

Yep, they just released the results of some testing last week and everything came back in saying that the ceramic coils are perfectly safe for use. All of that earlier rumor crap about ceramic dust was just coming from a competitor that spoke out before getting all of the facts and data. I've been using mine for a while... about 6 or 7 weeks now, and I've had no issues with it at all. I actually got the white one with the orange buttons... that was a pre-production model. The production white mod has black buttons. They also have black, purple, rose gold (pink), and stainless steel. Probably the cheapest can be found on FastTech (actual authentic mod), and fastest shipping/best customer service is with Heaven Gifts.

As for best flavor build on the Derringer... I typically use 26g NiChrome in mine, but I can try to twist up some Kanthal coils today/tomorrow and give you some better ideas in your resistance/wattage ranges. You can put out a maximum of 35W, right? I only ask so that I can try to limit my wattage as well to get close to what you're actually vaping at. I also assume that you are running your Derringer with a single coil, correct? Other than that, the only other difference might be wick material. I use rayon and refuse to use cotton of any type... so that'll make a difference if you're using cotton. Either way, I can at least help you optimize the coil part.

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Yep, they just released the results of some testing last week and everything came back in saying that the ceramic coils are perfectly safe for use. All of that earlier rumor crap about ceramic dust was just coming from a competitor that spoke out before getting all of the facts and data. I've been using mine for a while... about 6 or 7 weeks now, and I've had no issues with it at all. I actually got the white one with the orange buttons... that was a pre-production model. The production white mod has black buttons. They also have black, purple, rose gold (pink), and stainless steel. Probably the cheapest can be found on FastTech (actual authentic mod), and fastest shipping/best customer service is with Heaven Gifts.

As for best flavor build on the Derringer... I typically use 26g NiChrome in mine, but I can try to twist up some Kanthal coils today/tomorrow and give you some better ideas in your resistance/wattage ranges. You can put out a maximum of 35W, right? I only ask so that I can try to limit my wattage as well to get close to what you're actually vaping at. I also assume that you are running your Derringer with a single coil, correct? Other than that, the only other difference might be wick material. I use rayon and refuse to use cotton of any type... so that'll make a difference if you're using cotton. Either way, I can at least help you optimize the coil part.

That would be great :w00t: ... yes, single coil. I have reg. MOD's that can deliver up to 50w. Only wick material is the KJD cotton :unsure:
(I do also have the iStick TC40, but haven't tried out any temperature vaping yet.)

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
That would be great :w00t: ... yes, single coil. I have reg. MOD's that can deliver up to 50w. Only wick material is the KJD cotton :unsure:
(I do also have the iStick TC40, but haven't tried out any temperature vaping yet.)

Cool. Then I'll play around with some single coil Kanthal builds and see what comes out. I haven't built anything with Kanthal in about a year or so :lol:
As for temp control, I don't usually bother with it for RDAs. I usually set up temp control for my tanks though. Just personal observation... nickel is a P.I.T.A.! Titanium is much easier to deal with and has a slightly higher resistance over nickel, so you don't need quite as many wraps with Ti.

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
Cool. Then I'll play around with some single coil Kanthal builds and see what comes out. I haven't built anything with Kanthal in about a year or so :lol:
As for temp control, I don't usually bother with it for RDAs. I usually set up temp control for my tanks though. Just personal observation... nickel is a P.I.T.A.! Titanium is much easier to deal with and has a slightly higher resistance over nickel, so you don't need quite as many wraps with Ti.

Is it worth mentioning for the sweetspot search, that I would mostly vape fruit/dessert e-liquids? Like Space Jam's Starship 1 and Omega ... Queenside by Five Pawns (fresh juicy blood orange with a slight lime twist vs. homemade slighly melted french vanilla ice cream). They are very mild, and I like to taste both contrasts ... sharp fruit vs soft cream, vanilla flavour ... urgh, got to go vape this instantly now :p ...

P.I.T.A. ... wooot?

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
@Mette I know I'm a little late to the party..

Congratulations and welcome to ECF, and I hope you have a great time experiencing all the good stuff vaping has to offer!

Hi KayP

Ooooh yes indeed I have, and what a wonderfull new magic vaping tasty dimension I have stepped into here. If only I had know earlier... vaping is so much a better alternative than "that other smelly habit". Not looking back, and enjoying the fresh air around me and in me (sun shining and birds whisteling in the background).
The ECF has been an amazing oasis to stumble into by accident & pure luck (= intense Google search). I am so greatfull to have found this forum, and been taken extremely good care of as a noob.

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Is it worth mentioning for the sweetspot search, that I would mostly vape fruit/dessert e-liquids? Like Space Jam's Starship 1 and Omega ... Queenside by Five Pawns (fresh juicy blood orange vs. french vanilla ice cream). They are very mild, and I like to taste both contrasts ... sharp fruit vs soft cream, vanilla flavour ... urgh, got to go vape this instantly now :p ...

P.I.T.A. ... wooot?

Yeah, me too. I've been doing DIY for quite a while now and my favorite daily juice is peaches and cream. It has juicy peach with sweet cream and vanilla notes. I'm also working on a few new ones with pear and honey, and another with strawberry, vanilla, cotton candy, and a touch of cream for smoothness. So I'll definitely try to optimize for fruity vapes! ;)

P.I.T.A = Pain In The ___ :lol:

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Not looking back, and enjoying the fresh air around me and in me (sun shining and birds whisteling in the background).
That's awesome; I'm a little blind now from all that shining :p
The ECF has been an amazing oasis to stumble into by accident & pure luck (= intense Google search). I am so greatfull to have found this forum, and been taken extremely good care of as a noob.
Yes, there are plenty of good folks here. I only took up vaping and gave up smoking in December, and I've received a great deal of help here.

So again, thanks guys n gals for going out of your way to help us! :thumbs:

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
juicy peach with sweet cream and vanilla notes

:rolleyes: that has a wanna be ADV description in it for me.
Oh you creamy juicy fruity master of coils ... maybe you are able to give advice on a good cherry vape wth the soft vanilla ice/cream in it + also a lime dessert vape? Or simply a favourite dessert fruity vape?

I like the Lemon Cheesecake from The Real, even though it is a bit sharp in it's sweetness, it has a fabulous fresh lemon zest sharpness that get well rounded by an actual taste of cheesecake.

Cherry Custard by Klejnstrup (danish) ... lucky for me, I don't know how cherry cough syrup tastes like, so that might expand the cherry vape market for me :D ... is it a cherry menthol medicin taste?

Mette

Jan 4, 2016
Hillerød, Denmark
That's awesome; I'm a little blind now from all that shining :p

Yes, there are plenty of good folks here. I only took up vaping and gave up smoking in December, and I've received a great deal of help here.

So again, thanks guys n gals for going out of your way to help us! :thumbs:

Lucky we are, indeed :):)
December 2015? ... me too. *DING* Congratz to us for vaping for >1 month :thumbs: Going all pro (=2 months?).
2 friends + 1 collegue of mine are getting increasingly curious about my vaping, because I look so happy and like I'm enjoying it fully when I vape ... pure pleasure. I have had "sessions" with 2 of them ... letting them try out different devices and juices. Now they vape ... and still smoke, but hey, they have their own tempo and timing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread