Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Some Interesting dialog between David Sweanor, Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Ottawa and Patricia Kovacevic, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer at Nicopure Labs.

CONTENT OVERVIEW
@2:15 What is happening in Canada?
@8:00 Differences between U.S. and Canada’s views
@10:30 Why vapers need to speak out
@17:00 What the government/FDA could do to help

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Canada, the UK and other countries with more sensible regulations simply don't understand the compelling nature of the Master (tobacco) Settlement Agreement which is unique to the U.S. They seldom mention this and think our science is incompetent when in fact, it's our politics that is corrupt.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Canada, the UK and other countries with more sensible regulations simply don't understand the compelling nature of the Master (tobacco) Settlement Agreement which is unique to the U.S. They seldom mention this and think our science is incompetent when in fact, it's our politics that is corrupt.

There are Many Factors that go in US Regulations / Public Health Policies.

Unfortunately, things like Common sense and Public Health are way down on the Priority List.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
1.) A social hatred of smokers and anything that looks like smoking.

and...

2.) Tax.

Can't think of anything else on this topic.

I don't think #1 is all that Relevant at the High Levels of Policy Making. Just like I don't think it is all that Pervasive in the General Public.

But #2 is Very High. And is Always considered.

Might want to throw in a #3 of Political Influence via Silver crossing Palms.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I don't think #1 is all that Relevant at the High Levels of Policy Making. Just like I don't think it is all that Pervasive in the General Public.

On the contrary; The hatred and demonizing of smoking is part of our culture now. Fueled by ideologues in congress who empower the FDA with policy. And vaping is right in that mix.

Reactions: DC2 and ENAUD

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
On the contrary; The hatred and demonizing of smoking is part of our culture now. Fueled by ideologues in congress who empower the FDA with policy. And vaping is right in that mix.

If you say so.

It's Funny how they Grandfathered in just about ALL Cigarettes. And a thing that Can get people Off the thing you say Everyone Hates has an Almost Insurmountable Challenge to come to Market.

It's almost as if the Like Cigarettes? And are going out of their way to Protect the Cigarette Market.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If you say so.

It's Funny how they Grandfathered in just about ALL Cigarettes. And a thing that Can get people Off the thing you say Everyone Hates has an Almost Insurmountable Challenge to come to Market.

It's almost as if the Like Cigarettes? And are going out of their way to Protect the Cigarette Market.
They don't have to want cigarettes to disappear to know that promoting hatred of smokers/tobacco users serves their best interest. What was the percentage of Yes votes on prop 56 again? Remember, CA already has one of the lowest smoking rates in the nation, but our fellow Californians just voted in an extra $2 tax, and added vaping to that tax. We have one of the lowest smoking rates, and we had one of the lowest tax rates, I don't see a compelling need to raise the tax there. Convince people to hate smokers though, and none of that matters.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They don't have to want cigarettes to disappear to know that promoting hatred of smokers/tobacco users serves their best interest. What was the percentage of Yes votes on prop 56 again? Remember, CA already has one of the lowest smoking rates in the nation, but our fellow Californians just voted in an extra $2 tax, and added vaping to that tax. We have one of the lowest smoking rates, and we had one of the lowest tax rates, I don't see a compelling need to raise the tax there. Convince people to hate smokers though, and none of that matters.

I think Most of the People who Voted for Prop 56 were/are like my Neighbors. They don't really give a Rat's Azz if you Smoke or Not. But it was a Tax that Didn't Effect them. And they feel the State Needs the Money.

It's Hard to get people to Not Vote for Taxes that Don't effect them. Be it Fair or Not. It kinda just Is what it Is.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think Most of the People who Voted for Prop 56 were/are like my Neighbors. They don't really give a Rat's Azz if you Smoke or Not. But it was a Tax that Didn't Effect them. And they feel the State Needs the Money.

It's Hard to get people to Not Vote for Taxes that Don't effect them. Be it Fair or Not. It kinda just Is what it Is.
Some people, sure. I've seen some vehement anti-smoking sentimentality though. I and my wife have been on the receiving end of it. My wife was yelled at for smoking, in a parking lot, granted it was a Whole Foods parking lot, but still. Of course the woman yelling at her was sitting in her running car for at least five minutes, waiting for someone in the store, but the cigarette was the issue.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Some people, sure. I've seen some vehement anti-smoking sentimentality though. I and my wife have been on the receiving end of it. My wife was yelled at for smoking, in a parking lot, granted it was a Whole Foods parking lot, but still. Of course the woman yelling at her was sitting in her running car for at least five minutes, waiting for someone in the store, but the cigarette was the issue.

Yeah... Not say'n that there are not some Extreme ANTZ out there. Just like there are Fringe Anti Groups for just about anything.

Had a person Go Off on me about Glutton in a Grocery Store once. I'm talk Throbbing Vein in their Forehead Going Off. Thought I might have to Beat him with a Loaf of French Bread just to get him to Shut Up.

But they aren't the Norm. Just the One's you remember. And many times, the Ones that the Media likes to Exploit for a Sensational Story.

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
I've seen some vehement anti-smoking sentimentality though.
As have I. There is this snobbish, "holier-than-thou" arrogance among many non-smokers who all too often feel the need to chastise and lecture. Usually accompanied by fake coughing fits. :)

I'd be curious to hear if this culture of anti-smoking fanaticism exists to this degree in other countries.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Yeah... Not say'n that there are not some Extreme ANTZ out there. Just like there are Fringe Anti Groups for just about anything.
Had a person Go Off on me about Glutton in a Grocery Store once. I'm talk Throbbing Vein in their Forehead Going Off. Thought I might have to Beat him with a Loaf of French Bread just to get him to Shut Up.

But they aren't the Norm. Just the One's you remember. And many times, the Ones that the Media likes to Exploit for a Sensational Story.
I'd agree with you, about most things, however, there are multi million dollar campaigns teaching everyone that smoking not only kills the smoker, but anyone around the smoker. Government funded campaigns. Remember the one where the guy is smoking in his apartment, and then you see the smoke go out of his vent, outside the building, and then in a vent into another apartment and into a nursery?

Reactions: DC2 and LaraC

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'd agree with you, about most things, however, there are multi million dollar campaigns teaching everyone that smoking not only kills the smoker, but anyone around the smoker. Government funded campaigns. Remember the one where the guy is smoking in his apartment, and then you see the smoke go out of his vent, outside the building, and then in a vent into another apartment and into a nursery?

Never said there wasn't Smear and FUD used to Influence the Tragically Gullible. But is that the Reason something like Prop 56 Passed? Because People Hate Smokers?

I don't think that was even close to being cause. I think it was about Tax Money. Or more precisely, Raising Tax Monies that didn't need to come out of the Pockets of 85% of the Residents in California.

Roll out a Slick Ad Campaign with scenes of Hospitals and K-6 Classrooms and tell voters that the Money will go to Health Care or Schools. And the Untold message is it Won't cost you a Dime (if you don't Smoke or Vape) and watch what happens.

Same with the Legalization of the thing we Can't talk about here. You really think people would Vote for it if there Wasn't a Big Tax Carrot being dangled in their Faces?

Reactions: LaraC

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Never said there wasn't Smear and FUD used to Influence the Tragically Gullible. But is that the Reason something like Prop 56 Passed? Because People Hate Smokers?

I don't think that was even close to being cause. I think it was about Tax Money. Or more precisely, Raising Tax Monies that didn't need to come out of the Pockets of 85% of the Residents in California.

Roll out a Slick Ad Campaign with scenes of Hospitals and K-6 Classrooms and tell voters that the Money will go to Health Care or Schools. And the Untold message is it Won't cost you a Dime (if you don't Smoke or Vape) and watch what happens.

Same with the Legalization of the thing we Can't talk about here. You really think people would Vote for it if there Wasn't a Big Tax Carrot being dangled in their Faces?
I do agree with you there. There was an initiative to tax the other stuff, medical, to fund youth programs. Imagine if someone suggested taxing regular prescription medications to fund after school programs...

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
But is that the Reason something like Prop 56 Passed? Because People Hate Smokers?

Yes.

But I use the word "hate" too loosely myself. More like despise or denigrate. These days, outside their own circles most smokers are generally looked down upon in my experience. Just remember back 30 years and see the progression. It has gone from genuine "health" concerns to downright scorn.

And now since smoking is pretty much in check... vaping's the new social whipping boy and one of the few (along with anti-smoking antics), that's relatively PC and safe.

Reactions: motordude

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
And now since smoking is pretty much in check... vaping's the new social whipping boy and one of the few (along with anti-smoking antics), that's relatively PC and safe.
Vapers/smokers and people with weight problems. Both are the victims of the public abuse. I watched a grocery checkout lady refuse to ring up anything with sugars/carbs in the cart of an overweight lady the other night in walmart all the while shaming the woman loudly. I um...well lets say I made an uncharacteristic scene and got a manager over there to help the poor woman.

Here in Louisiana they passed a law that you couldn't smoke/vape within so many feet of a school. Unfortunately its a pretty long distance and there are smokers who technically can't smoke in their own homes (across the street from schools) now. As far as I know it is not being enforced to that degree right now, but it could be. I do know one friend who will only vape/smoke (dual use) indoors with the windows shut and the blinds drawn because of it. She just does not trust them NOT to enforce it when they need the fine money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread