Q & A with One Stop DIY Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
We receive a lot of email and phone calls from the community regarding how much flavoring should be used in mixtures. The answer is difficult as we all have different tastes. To compound the difficulty of the question, each flavor has their own potency.

The simple answer is, trial and error. You will find what suits your taste by experimenting.

On the whole, most of the fruit flavors do well in the 1-5% range, some moreso than others. Coffee and FlavourArt tobacco's do well in the 1-2% range. Beverage flavors do well in the 10% range, Desert type flavorings (i.e. Caramels, Vanillas, etc) do well in the 20% range.

That is by no means conclusive. Let your nose be your guide. If the flavor is strong off of the bottle, you can bet your rear that it's going to be strong off of the atty.

Mix in small batches, start small and work the flavor percetages up or down, depending on your taste. If the flavoring smells extremely strong, I would suggest to take 5ml of no-nic PG, add in a single drop of flavoring from the bottle, shake the mixture and test. This should get you in the 1% neighborhood, give or take a micro-percentage. Working with 1% becomes easier to be precise when mixing up larger batches. Just be sure you get your flavoring zeroed into the ballpark before you get brave and mix up 200ml of your new all-day vape.

ThreadKiller

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
AGFFA
Well, this has probably been asked a jillion times, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

I've been using The Flavor Apprentice flavors to good effect. I've got 3 favorites.
Strawberry 12% / Double Chocolate 2% (Strawberry Covered Chocolate, I like to call it)
Lemon 12%
Black Cherry 12% (YUM)

However, I'm looking for a tobacco flavor with some bite to it. Not some caramel flavor (RY4), or 'nutty' flavor (555).
I've tried a couple of TFA tobacco flavors.
Tobacco Blend (PG) - Smooth flavor that tastes good, but no bite.
M-Type - Smells and tastes like rancid butter no matter how low I keep the %s.

I realize I might not be getting the effect I'm looking for because I'm currently using VG as a base. Still looking for something more tobacco tasting until I can switch over to PG.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Doesn't have to be TFA.

Thanks!

Teach

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
Well, this has probably been asked a jillion times, but I figure I'd ask anyway.

I've been using The Flavor Apprentice flavors to good effect. I've got 3 favorites.
Strawberry 12% / Double Chocolate 2% (Strawberry Covered Chocolate, I like to call it)
Lemon 12%
Black Cherry 12% (YUM)

However, I'm looking for a tobacco flavor with some bite to it. Not some caramel flavor (RY4), or 'nutty' flavor (555).
I've tried a couple of TFA tobacco flavors.
Tobacco Blend (PG) - Smooth flavor that tastes good, but no bite.
M-Type - Smells and tastes like rancid butter no matter how low I keep the %s.

I realize I might not be getting the effect I'm looking for because I'm currently using VG as a base. Still looking for something more tobacco tasting until I can switch over to PG.

Any suggestions on what to try next? Doesn't have to be TFA.

Thanks!

I really liked the FA's Desert Ship... I'm not sure what particular quality I liked about it when compared to others, but it did it for me. I hadn't thought about it, but maybe it actually satisfied my taste for tobacco… I haven’t used any tobacco flavor for months. I’ll have to pull some out and try it out again.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I like Desert Ship myself, but I find the Flavour Art tobaccos in general to be a bit too exotic for my taste. As for looking for a tobacco flavoring with some bite, I would say that the Flavour Art would be your best venture, however, as you mentioned, the VG base is going to dampen the bite on almost anything due to the sheer volume of vapor it produces in comparison to PG.

That being said! I'm sure there is a solution, I am just not sure exactly what it may be. Have you thought about Tobacco Blend (Alc)? You could get a 6ml bottle to try on your next order and see how it does. I actually like the Tobacco Blend flavor best out of all of them, it just tastes more natural than the others.

Flavour Art's offerings that are strong would include the Cuban Supreme, Black Fire, Latakia, Perique Black.

Here is a link to the sensoral chart describing the intensity of the particular notes in each of the flavorings. It may be of limited help, but if you know that you want a spicy flavor, for example, you'll find out which one has that as a prominent note.

www.flavourart.it/grafico tabacco.pdf

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
TFA's Black Honey Tobacco flavoring, in my opinion only tastes like honey to me. If there are any tobacco type notes in it, they are VERY subtle and in my opinion overshadowed by the honey taste, which on it's own is rather mild even at 20%.

If what you are seeking is a honey tobacco flavoring, you could experiment with TFA's Black Honey Tobacco and Tobacco Blend (PG) flavorings. Increase the Tobacco Blend (PG) to make give it a more prominent tobacco flavor.

If you're looking for a more smokey tobacco flavoring, some of the flavour art tobaccos would assist here. Especially Latakia, Black Fire, Cuban Supreme or Perique Black. Just be careful if you do use those, they are pretty strong even at 1%.

Last edited:

quendelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
Clovis, CA
Hi Kim, received my package today. Thank you for the extra pipettes and gloves. I really like the Ry4 Double and Red Hots Flavors. The Honey and Black Honey Tobacco are not the Honey flavor I'm looking for. Very cloying. Will try at a 1/2% ratio and see if that is vapable, maybe add some menthol. I continue in my quest. Question though, does the Flavor Art Honey smell the same as the Honey from FA?

I bought the master apprentice kit about a month ago, what I'm really bummed about is the fact that my base liquid was 100% VG and my nicotine was PG. BUT theyre wasn't an extra plain PG bottle, so I can't even cut the nicotine to a lower dosage. This kit is for beginners, and I was bummed after buying it. I stopped DIY'ing because I don't really like how the flavors they sell taste, and I can't cut my nicotine down. I have a bunch of websites for each liquids you need. Flavors, quarts of PG & VG for about 8 bucks, great flavors, best nicotine, and best sweeteners. I'm just waiting till I have enough money to try again. The next time I'll actually have everything I need. The one thing I liked was the Lorannes flavors. I'm not trying to bash this company, I'm just stating what happenend, and maybe help and warn new beginners

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
Quendelyn,
The Flavour Art honey is does not smell the same to me. I believe it may be stronger, so it wont take as much to reach your destination. :)

CSpencer516,
I am sorry your experience was disapointing to you. I would love to help you get your DIYing off to a good start! What was the blend and mg of the juice you bought pre-made and perhaps I can help you with what you need to make it yourself. If you would rather, you can also always give me a call at (920) 349-7467 and if you get the machine please leave a message for Kimberly with the best time for me to return it to you or you can email me at sales@onestopdiyshop.com.

We do sell all the items in the kits plus more on the site, so depending on the blend of the individual you can always get an extra PG or Vg ect ala-cart. We realize that not every flavor company fits every person, which is why we have 5 diffrent flavor companies. We just added Natures Flavors Organic line this week :) We are here to serve the community, we do our best to have some of the lowest prices out there and save you on shipping from getting everything from seperate sources.

Quendelyn,
The Flavour Art honey is does not smell the same to me. I believe it may be stronger, so it wont take as much to reach your destination. :)

CSpencer516,
I am sorry your experience was disapointing to you. I would love to help you get your DIYing off to a good start! What was the blend and mg of the juice you bought pre-made and perhaps I can help you with what you need to make it yourself. If you would rather, you can also always give me a call at (920) 349-7467 and if you get the machine please leave a message for Kimberly with the best time for me to return it to you or you can email me at sales@onestopdiyshop.com.

We do sell all the items in the kits plus more on the site, so depending on the blend of the individual you can always get an extra PG or Vg ect ala-cart. We realize that not every flavor company fits every person, which is why we have 5 diffrent flavor companies. We just added Natures Flavors Organic line this week :) We are here to serve the community, we do our best to have some of the lowest prices out there and save you on shipping from getting everything from seperate sources.

Just left a message on the answering machine. I bought a bunch of extra tools and everything. My nicotine was 100% PG at 36MG I got 2 either 30mL or 2 60mL, whatever the option was I got it. The flavors are all PG, but I don't have any unflavored PG to cut down my nicotine level.

quendelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2010
Clovis, CA
Hi Kim, made a test batch with 5% Black Honey Tab. It came out very nice, after steeping a few days. Not the Honey I was looking for, but still good. Question though, after a few days the vapor has gone very weak on all my test batches. Is this normal? Any ideas why? Thanks, Gwen

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread