Question about bottom coil heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
How do you know when to replace them? I've got five EVOD tanks in rotation, yep I'm a tank swaper each one with a different flavor in it. One of them is starting to not perform well. Is it dead? Does it need to be cleaned or replaced? When cleaning I know I can soak the tanks, can I soak the heads with the coils in it?

Thanks for your help!

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Nope, shouldn't be dead. You can take apart the head and usually remove the flavor wicks, rinse and dry burn the coil, replace the flavor wicks (or maybe clean/dry the orig ones) replace and you should be good to go. Here's a vid from PBusardo, if you need to rebuild them, but it's also helpful showing how to take them apart and whats inside, hth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtqakeg3z4

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Just about any battery capable of producing enough power to heat the coil to red hot will do the trick. It may take longer to get to red hot with a non-boosted battery, but there is no danger to the battery or the atomizer, unless you over do the dry burn. Remember to rinse thoroughly after the dry burn though, otherwise it will taste like sh@# from the residue leftover on the coil.

Incidentally, you really don't have to let them air dry, which takes over night. Just use a paper towel or tissue to carefully blot the wicks with the edges of whatever you use, and you'll see the water wick out of the wick and into the paper towel or tissue, fill and vape away. The first few drags will be kind of light in the vapor and taste departments until the water is boiled off and replaced by your favorite liquids, but it does not hurt the atomizer at all, the water keeps things from getting too hot.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If the flavor tapers off, vapor production diminishes or you start to get an 'off' taste, it is time to have a look at it. Make sure that you have spare heads, they wear out over time. I soak mine in water and 'dry burn' them. There are great Youtube videos on how to do this properly. Have fun!

It is better to soak coils in PGA vs water. It cleans much better and evaporates much more quickly.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Soaking, in my opinion, really doesn't do much if anything to clean things. The gunk on the coils seems to be a polymer that forms from the carbon and oxygen molecules, mixed with whatever other molecules that may be present, being heated by the coil. Since it's a polymer, a form of plastic, water sure won't do anything. I've tried EverClear for weeks, denture cleaner, ispropyl alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, denatured alcohol and brake cleaner and none of them touched it. No, I didn't reuse those coil/qick assemblies, I was just trying to find something to dissolve that crap, LOL. Someone has suggested a steam clean using the steam output from an espresso machine which I haven't gotten around to trying but might work. Another dodge might be ultrasonic cleaning with some solution stronger than water and heated.

Bottom line is a dry burn is the best thing, next to rebuilding them which is what I've started doing. Much easier and more satisfactory in the long run when you're as cheap as I am.

(to be read at double speed)
Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it. Your results and mileage may vary. No warranty or guarantee is expressed or implied. Proceed at your own risk. The end user agrees to hold the poster harmless and without liability. I am not a scientist, chemist or physicist and hold no academic degrees, nor do I play any of them on TV.

Last edited:

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
Thank you ghola1was, OlDogNewTricks, Vchick, awsum and wv2win for helping me demystify these bottom coils! Awsum I'll keep your disclaimer in mind :laugh:

I'm not going to throw them out when dead as I might give recoiling a try when I feel more comfortable. However (sorry for the seemingly endless questions) changing the flavor wick seems pretty easy to do should I need to. What kind of wick material do you suggest?

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
I'd would say stick with silica wicks. I usually use a 3mm wick and take "strands" from it, then use two, single, strands for flavor wicks. The flavor wicks act as a sort of seal to prevent the liquid from flooding the coil. Based on your particular liquid, and its' viscosity, you may need to experiment with one, one and a half, two, two and a half or three strands to find that "sweet" spot we all love. Other folks have used cotton, both yarn and twisted cotton balls, to replace both the main wick and flavor wicks. Silica wick has a much higher burning temperature which is why I tend to stick with that.

Again, my standard disclaimer applies, LOL.

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
PGA? Is that some kind of alcohol?

Pure grain alcohol also known as Everclear or Volkov,190 proof. If you hover your cursor over some abbreviations it will tell you what they are. It's a good idea not to clean with any thing you wouldn't drink because rinsing is very seldom 100%.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Pure grain alcohol also known as Everclear or Volkov,190 proof. If you hover your cursor over some abbreviations it will tell you what they are. It's a good idea not to clean with any thing you wouldn't drink because rinsing is very seldom 100%.

Another nice thing about PGA is it is tasteless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread