Question about Clapton Coil build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolferizer

Sep 5, 2010
Des Moines, IA
Hey all, haven't posted since 2011 but I'm back and looking for advice. I recently made the jump to rebuildables and things have been going great for the most part. My current daily setup consists of dual vertical full contact coils using 26g Kanthal. The coils are positioned directly over the air holes. Wicking with organic, unbleached japanese cotton, wrapped around each coil. The build is in a Griffin rta, comes out to roughly .50 Ohm give or take. Been using it at 31w and everything is rock solid.

Now for my problem. I keep trying Clapton builds because I hear very good things. Unfortunately every attempt has been absolutely horrible. Ramp up time is too slow at lower watts. Higher watts make my RTA heat up like a stove, everything tastes either harsh or burnt regardless of my settings. The wire I'm using is prebuilt Tobeco brand Clapton II. everything is setup exactly like the configuration above but I keep having problems. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way Clapton wire behaves? Any suggestions?

Wolferizer

Sep 5, 2010
Des Moines, IA
Okay guys, I'm back. Finally have the day off so I decided to give it another shot. Used 32/32 fused, dual 6 wrap. The build reads at .35 Ohm, which is right where I wanted to be. I took into account all the advice I got here, then built them staggered rather than closed. THIS IS AMAZING!

At 75w the build stays remarkably cool, there are no dry hits, and the FLAVOR! Oh man, thanks guys, this is fantastic. Took some pics while I was at it. It's only my 6th build, so please be gentle.
20160926_090849.jpg 20160926_090734.jpg 20160926_084359.jpg

Last edited:

brandon555

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2010
Wisconsin
I had the same problem with 26/32 fused clapton. 26g kanthal and 32g 316l ss. It takes a couple good primer puffs to ramp up even at 85 watts. Once it gets going it's okay, and really chucks but I don't care for slow heating coils. Next time I'm going to try all 316l stainless instead of kanthal. 32/32 sounds interesting though too.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
It's because your wrap is too big. Bigger wrap = longer ramp.
n80 heats a bit faster than a1 or 316l.
316l is good for core wire if you have a big enough deck. 10 full wraps of 22 comes out to 0.17 for dual coils.
If you use it as a wrap, it gunks up fast and can oxidize your wicks over night but ymmv.

34 awg is my go-to wire. It's easy to clapton and easy to alien.

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
My basic perception of your problem is that you have one or two too many wraps.. (tryin' for too much heat) Redo two more coils, use 4 wraps maximum and have some heavy tweezers or a pair of needle nosed pliers handy. when you fire the coil, cook it to red hot, then, quickly and carefully give the ends of the coils a squeeze with the needle-nose pliers to pinch the coils together like a spring. Once you get them mashed together real good and it's nice and even and uniform the vape will be even better, the ramp up time will decrease and the heat will stay about the same.
Good luck!

CloudMutilator

Oct 1, 2016
Oh yeah, I did. lol.. like 10 seconds after the vid cut off. :D Not gonna see fire again today.. that sucked. Another interesting note is that these coils seem to be pretty energy efficient too. They're quick to light, you can do 1 second bumps for 3 or 4 seconds to get a lungfull (just drip again after) and the clouds are amazing. Not sure why this puts out so much more than other stick wrapped coils or some of the weird stuff out there that looks like a wad of shavings in a machine shop, lol. I've found that low ohms is key for quick ramp, full vape and great flavor all in one.. this setup really delivers, even though it can be reliable at times.. hit and miss on the hits, dries the cotton fast.. pros and cons people.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread