• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Question about memorial services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa66

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Florida
Any suggestions on going about planning a memorial for a person who is not religious? My dad is terminally ill and I would like to be able to plan something that honors him for all the people left behind. I don't know where to begin.

It's not a matter of the type of subject matter to be presented; I think I can deal with that. It's just that every other similar gathering I've been to was officiated or led by a priest, pastor, funeral director, etc. He is donating his body to a med school and says he wants nothing. However, he has many friends and other people need to grieve....

How would I go about finding someone in his city that could help me or make suggestions? Have any of you planned or attended a Humanist or other similar gathering like this?

I'd be grateful for any info or suggestions at all. Thanks!

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Ask people who are close to him to prepare short speeches or statements. Perhaps make a 'memorial book' of some kind with photos and letters and things like that... maybe tell people they can write final farewell notes to him or something and collect those in the book. A religious figure is really just offering 'closing words' on a person's life, anyone can do that... you or someone close to him would likely do it better than a priest anyway. Just a thought.

PosingOwl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2012
Clovis, NM
Any suggestions on going about planning a memorial for a person who is not religious? My dad is terminally ill and I would like to be able to plan something that honors him for all the people left behind. I don't know where to begin.

It's not a matter of the type of subject matter to be presented; I think I can deal with that. It's just that every other similar gathering I've been to was officiated or led by a priest, pastor, funeral director, etc. He is donating his body to a med school and says he wants nothing. However, he has many friends and other people need to grieve....

How would I go about finding someone in his city that could help me or make suggestions? Have any of you planned or attended a Humanist or other similar gathering like this?

I'd be grateful for any info or suggestions at all. Thanks!

I am not a religious person at all, but when I die I hope that my family will do whatever will help them to grieve. If it means having a religious funeral/burial I am fine with that. If you are not religious then just have a ceremony celebrating his accomplishments in life, there are many ways to have funerals. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread