Not open for further replies.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I just bought some rebuildable cartomizers (like Sophia, Diver, etc). I picked it because it had no ceramic cup, and was straight so could fit into any type of carto tank after being rebuilt. But there are no directions for rebuilding, and I'm not even certain what they are.

When I took it apart, I noticed that it seemed to have a resist/no-resist wire join. I was wondering what the advantages of resist/no resist in coil building vs regular kanthal coil was. Why are they used in certain builds and not others? It seems they are most often used in ceramic cup type atomizers, and that's the bigger criteria rather than size. Mine has no ceramic cup anyway, so why did they do this?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, this is confusing:).

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California
i've never used R/NR but the only thing i can think of that makes sense electrically to me would be if the design of the atty forces you to have really long leads. resistance in the leads is largely a waste in any atty-- you want that in the coil.

several ppl have posted using regular wire in certain atties that were designed for R/NR. my guess is that the downside is you're just wasting a tiny bit of battery power.

but if anyone has a better explanation, i'm also interested in hearing about it, since i'm just guessing.

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
OK! I think I have an answer to this...

Most resist/no resist wires go into units with rubber grommets, such as carto tanks (not 100% sure of this, but fairly sure based on the carto rebuildable I have). If the coil got hot all the way down... it would melt the rubber grommet at the bottom, since the entire wire would heat up. Does that make sense? Unless there's a better reason??

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The resistance wire we use in a coil is normally cooled by the juice in the wicking while we vape. If the design of the topper has a long lead where it doesn't touch the wick, when you fire it will be like you're dry burning part of the coil. This will cause off flavors, short coil life and extra heat. Ideally your coil will only heat up where you have a wick and juice to heat, the no resistance wires allows this while having enough wire to still connect to the post or screw....:vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread