Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Whats the difference between vaping on a subohm coil and a higher like 1.5 or 2 ohm coil at the same wattage? ?
The flip side of Thrasher's VW coin, is a unregulated mech mod... where Ohm's law dictates the wattage discharged for a given resistance. The lower the resistance, the higher the wattage discharge.

Let me rephrase that. Ohm's law doesn't care about wire gauge or how many coils... just the net resistance, because that value is what determines wattage discharge.
A 1.8Ω resistance, will draw 10 watts, while a 0.6Ω resistance will draw 29 watts. It's in the unregulated builder's best interests to use the most appropriate wire for the resistance... to obtain the maximum surface area first, followed by heat flux (radiant coil temperature) second.

With a regulated mod, you can "force" wattage on a build that would otherwise be completely wrong for the Ohm's law wattage/resistance parity... and within reason, actually get away with it.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
Lower resistance will draw more amps, which will drain the battery faster -- and put more stress on the battery, making it IMPERATIVE than the battery actually be able to handle the amperage demanded.

Andria
I get that, I meant like any other difference, I mean in the way it vapes? I know why the resistance I built at on my mech matters, it changes the wattage it fires at, but with a VW mod that only fires at a certain wattage, why do people vary what resistance they build at?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Whats the difference between vaping on a subohm coil and a higher like 1.5 or 2 ohm coil at the same wattage? I understand why resistance of the coil matters on a mech, but whats the difference on a VW device?

the same wattage should give you approx. the same liquid usage (amount of ml used up per day).

If they both vape right (same temperature) then the differences would be due to different wicking, coil diameter, and whether it's single or dual coil ( that influences wicking).

A 0.5 ohm 28 gauge dual coil could run at 32 watts at 4 volts.
A 2 ohm 28 gauge single coil could run at 32 watts at 8 volts.
The difference would be the wicking.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
the same wattage should give you approx. the same liquid usage (amount of ml used up per day).

If they both vape right (same temperature) then the differences would be due to different wicking, coil diameter, and whether it's single or dual coil ( that influences wicking).

A 0.5 ohm 28 gauge dual coil could run at 32 watts at 4 volts.
A 2 ohm 28 gauge single coil could run at 32 watts at 8 volts.
The difference would be the wicking.
Ok but assuming everything is the same
A 0.5 ohm 28 gauge single coil at 30 watts and a 2 ohm 28 gauge single coil at 30 watts, what would the difference/advantage/disadvantage/ wicking/whatever difference be, as in why would it matter what resistance the coil is, you get what I'm asking?

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
The flip side of Thrasher's VW coin, is a unregulated mech mod... where Ohm's law dictates the wattage discharged for a given resistance. The lower the resistance, the higher the wattage discharge.

Let me rephrase that. Ohm's law doesn't care about wire gauge or how many coils... just the net resistance, because that value is what determines wattage discharge.
A 1.8Ω resistance, will draw 10 watts, while a 0.6Ω resistance will draw 29 watts. It's in the unregulated builder's best interests to use the most appropriate wire for the resistance... to obtain the maximum surface area first, followed by heat flux (radiant coil temperature) second.

With a regulated mod, you can "force" wattage on a build that would otherwise be completely wrong for the Ohm's law wattage/resistance parity... and within reason, actually get away with it.
Thanks, I already understand that part, I dont think anybody understands what I'm asking though.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
A 0.5 ohm 28 gauge single coil at 30 watts and a 2 ohm 28 gauge single coil at 30 watts, what would the difference/advantage/disadvantage/ wicking/whatever difference be, as in why would it matter what resistance the coil is, you get what I'm asking?

The difference would be the 4 volts and the 8 volts .
As of a year ago, the average vw mod only went up to 6 volts; these days there are a few that go up to 8 volts, moreso the dual batt mods.

But perhaps the answer you are looking for is: with the higher ohm coils, a little contact resistance doesn't bother you. That's one of the problems with subohm coils; if you are using a 0.2 ohm coil and you happen to develop 0.1 ohm contact resistance it throws all the numbers off; that's why people who use subohm coils are always having to keep constacts squeaky clean and shiny. and why people used to talk about copper mods.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2013
Detroit MI
The difference would be the 4 volts and the 8 volts .
As of a year ago, the average vw mod only went up to 6 volts; these days there are a few that go up to 8 volts, moreso the dual batt mods.

But perhaps the answer you are looking for is: with the higher ohm coils, a little contact resistance doesn't bother you. That's one of the problems with subohm coils; if you are using a 0.2 ohm coil and you happen to develop 0.1 ohm contact resistance it throws all the numbers off; that's why people who use subohm coils are always having to keep constacts squeaky clean and shiny. and why people used to talk about copper mods.
OK, but as far as the vape its not going to make a difference if the coil has a 0.5 or a 2 Ohm resistance in this scenario, correct?

Im asking because I sub ohm on my mech, and Ive always used 1ohm+ coils on my VW devices, and now that I have a VW mod that I can build sub ohm coils on, Im wondering if it even matters what I build for it if the vape is exactly the same because people seem to want to build at a certain resistance even when theyre using VW mods

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014

The 2 ohm 28 gauge coil would be 4 times as large and want 4 times as much power to create the same temperatures. Wicking would also be different but the first step regards power input vs. surface area.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    OK, but as far as the vape its not going to make a difference if the coil has a 0.5 or a 2 Ohm resistance in this scenario, correct?

Im asking because I sub ohm on my mech, and Ive always used 1ohm+ coils on my VW devices, and now that I have a VW mod that I can build sub ohm coils on, Im wondering if it even matters what a build for it if the vape is exactly the same because people seem to want to build at a certain resistance even when theyre using VW mods

Electrically it does not matter;
    a 0.5 ohm dual 28 gauge consists of 2 1 ohm coils and it runs at 30 watts at 4 volts.
    and is equivalent to
    a 2 ohm single 28 guage coil running at 30 watts at 8 volts.

The differences are:
    1: with the dual coil, you basically have more wicking ; less likely to get dry hits.
    2: with the single coil, a little corrosion/contact resistance isn't going to bother you because 0.1 contact resistance out of 2 ohms is only 5%, but 0.1 ohm contact resistance out of 0.5 ohm dual coil is 20%

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Whats the difference between vaping on a subohm coil and a higher like 1.5 or 2 ohm coil at the same wattage? I understand why resistance of the coil matters on a mech, but whats the difference on a VW device?

Kinda hard to Answer this on Ohms Alone.

You have gotten all the Math and the Numbers. So I'll pass on all that

But I'll thru this Out. What about Flavor? Does More Surface area for a given Wire Type/Gauge matter?

To me, I'm getting Great Flavor when I don't go too low on the Coil Loops. And a Higher Ohm Coil, for the Same Wire, is going to have More Loops.

There is also the Concept of Working Watt Range.

When an Ohm Build is Very Low, the is a Very Small window watt-wise that I would consider my Sweet Spot. But at Higher Ohms, that window gets Much Larger. So I don't have to be so Precise when I set the Watts on my APV.

Of course, Take all this with a Grain of Salt. What I have described works for Me. And might not Necessarily work for Anyone else.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2013
    Detroit MI
    Electrically it does not matter;
    a 0.5 ohm dual 28 gauge consists of 2 1 ohm coils and it runs at 30 watts at 4 volts.
    and is equivalent to
    a 2 ohm single 28 guage coil running at 30 watts at 8 volts.

The differences are:
    1: with the dual coil, you basically have more wicking ; less likely to get dry hits.
    2: with the single coil, a little corrosion/contact resistance isn't going to bother you because 0.1 contact resistance out of 2 ohms is only 5%, but 0.1 ohm contact resistance out of 0.5 ohm dual coil is 20%
    I just left out the dual/ single coil thing because its just adding another variable to the conversation that is further confusing me about what youre saying and I dont see how its relevant to what Im asking about, Im not interested in building dual coils anyway

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2013
    Detroit MI
    Kinda hard to Answer this on Ohms Alone.

You have gotten all the Math and the Numbers. So I'll pass on all that

But I'll thru this Out. What about Flavor? Does More Surface area for a given Wire Type/Gauge matter?

To me, I'm getting Great Flavor when I don't go too low on the Coil Loops. And a Higher Ohm Coil, for the Same Wire, is going to have More Loops.

There is also the Concept of Working Watt Range.

When an Ohm Build is Very Low, the is a Very Small window watt-wise that I would consider my Sweet Spot. But at Higher Ohms, that window gets Much Larger. So I don't have to be so Precise when I set the Watts on my APV.

Of course, Take all this with a Grain of Salt. What I have described works for Me. And might not Necessarily work for Anyone else.
    Im not wondering about different wattages, just if as far as my vape experience vaping a sub ohm coil vs a higher ohm coil makes a difference at the same wattage

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Im not wondering about different wattages, just if as far as my vape experience vaping a sub ohm coil vs a higher ohm coil makes a difference at the same wattage

You left out the dual/single coil thing because its just adding another variable to the conversation, but it is the dual/ single coil thing that contributes to the subohm and you asked about subohm,

Two 1 ohm coils in parallel give you the 0.5 ohm subohm coil, but together they are really 2 ohms of coil; if you use a vv/vw mod, you could just as well use a single 2 ohm coil at 8 volts instead of using 2 1 ohm coils at 4 volts.

Altaire Versailles

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2013
    Detroit MI
    You left out the dual/single coil thing because its just adding another variable to the conversation, but it is the dual/ single coil thing that contributes to the subohm and you asked about subohm,

Two 1 ohm coils in parallel give you the 0.5 ohm subohm coil, but together they are really 2 ohms of coil; if you use a vv/vw mod, you could just as well use a single 2 ohm coil at 8 volts instead of using 2 1 ohm coils at 4 volts.
    Oh, I thought to make a 0.5 ohm coil youd just want a thicker gauge wire. I usually build around 0.8 with 28gauge with 4/5 wraps, Ive never personally built one at 0.5

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread