Status
Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Ok, so just curious... For those that have a door or whole REO that is painted in the red metallic... Does it appear to be a candy red?

Was thinking that if I did get a new one, it would be really cool to have one in black with a red candy metallic to match my Mustang (which is red candy metallic with tinted windows and smoked lights), then use the laser etcher I've got access to, to throw a Mustang pony emblem on the door and maybe a 5.0 on the back.

I know that pics shown on here do the metallics no justice, but the red metallic seems to be a brighter red than my car lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
It depends on how the light hits it. It can be brighter or darker depending on how bright the ambient light is. Here are a few pics of my metallic red to show the difference.

reo5.jpg reo14.jpg

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
Laser etcher you say... do all af bases have those? If yes who do i need to make friends with? Know anyone on mcchord?

The British always had better tools than the Marines, they also had better expressions and better stuff in their PX... come to think of it I worked on a British aircraft, the Harrier only thing better for CAS (fixed wing) is an A10.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
The British always had better tools than the Marines, they also had better expressions and better stuff in their PX... come to think of it I worked on a British aircraft, the Harrier only thing better for CAS (fixed wing) is an A10.

It is technically a British base, but its really an American AF base. Some bases have laser etchers for etching/cutting parts or tools, or other items. They are VERY expensive, and they don't let just anyone use them.

It seems like in some photos it is similar, and in others it's a lighter red....hmmmmm

Underdawg736

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
Lancaster, Pa

Can you believe the government is getting rid of the A10!! It's such a beautiful thing watching it do it's thing, I'll be sad to see it go!

Borescope.......We need pics of the 'Stang for a proper comparison!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
It is probably near impossible on the net to get the information you want on color. Between monitor differences and calibration of monitors, the limited sRBG color space that is used on the net and the color gamma of the Reo, its a very tall order. At best I would say you can get an approximation.

that's why I was asking a raw files. a Photo taken raw with a 18% gray or white card in the photo would allow him to do a much better comparison. While I agree if you aren't correcting your monitor with a spectrum analyzer your colors could be off. But this allow a comparison with two being off the same.

For those that don't know when you take a jpg pic, the camera acts as a dark room and applies white balance color correction and other things to the photo it capture and then throws out a bunch of data collected. For camera's that can take a raw photo, no processing is done in camera and all data captured by the sensor is placed in the file. then Photoshop, Lightroom etc. can be used to process the photo.

On my camera, a 21meg raw file is compressed to 6 meg jpg. so the camera throws out 14 meg of picture data if it does the processing.

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
It is technically a British base, but its really an American AF base. Some bases have laser etchers for etching/cutting parts or tools, or other items. They are VERY expensive, and they don't let just anyone use them.

It seems like in some photos it is similar, and in others it's a lighter red....hmmmmm

right, so who do i need to get to know on mcchord? lol

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
You are absolutely correct. My concern is that the color of the Red Reo may fall outside the limited color space of the sRGB so it squeezed in and no longer is a representation of the actual color if we are talking about getting really picky matching things up.. Besides all the other stuff about monitors, etc. All I've shot for the past ten years is raw. Lots of headroom there for sure.

Heres an example of what Filthy is talking about. A raw file color balanced using a digital grey card.
grey%20card-L.jpg

A jpg can be corrected to a small degree for color but nothing close to what a raw file can do. And thats just one of the advantages. Theres many more.

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
Yeah I agree on the export colorspace. I was thinking more about comparisons in Photoshop using the larger ProPhoto space instead of the smaller sRGB space.
I didnt think of this before but most all point and shoots that shoot jpg also have a custom color setting utilizing a white sheet of paper. THis works fairly well but I'm sure its rarely if ever used.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I didnt think of this before but most all point and shoots that shoot jpg also have a custom color setting utilizing a white sheet of paper. THis works fairly well but I'm sure its rarely if ever used.
I tried explaining how to do this to wife once, didn't go well.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread