Question about trying something new with kanthal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchaggis79

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2012
ohio
I currently use 26 gauge, but I have a bunch of 28 gauge that's been collecting dust. I'm thinking about twisting the 28 and trying that.

Anything I should know about the differences between twisted wire? How many wraps should I use? I usually do 8 or 9 with the 26 with a 2mm id. Any safety concerns aside from not twisting it well enough? Basically anything you can tell me will be appreciated.

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Twisted wire is all I use when I use my 28g. I don't use a drill for it unless I do 4 strands together. I use a pen method that I've done a tutorial on.

If you go here Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators you can select twisted/parallel next to the gauge of kanthal drop down menu. Default says "round"

4 strands of 28g twisted together with drill

These are twisted with the pen method

Reactions: Romano Cheese

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
would you guys say since twisted wire looks like it has more surface area and will make better use of the wattage applied that if i would usually drip at 40 watts then i would need less wattage to get the same experience?

I personally use the same wattage or more depending on the twisted wire. For example, that first picture I posted is 0.6 ohms but it has quite the ramp up time on lower watts. I need a bit more with that one. Twisted 28g I don't really vary my watts much between the two. Twisted 26g I usually have a tad bit more watts, but I like quicker ramp up time.

tony7432

Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
Sydney nsw australia
I personally use the same wattage or more depending on the twisted wire. For example, that first picture I posted is 0.6 ohms but it has quite the ramp up time on lower watts. I need a bit more with that one. Twisted 28g I don't really vary my watts much between the two. Twisted 26g I usually have a tad bit more watts, but I like quicker ramp up time.
your right, i did not consider the ramp up time since it is more surface area you would need the same if not more to deliver the heat to them to get a proper vape..

Reactions: dbrandt01

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
Twisted wire is all I use when I use my 28g. I don't use a drill for it unless I do 4 strands together. I use a pen method that I've done a tutorial on.

If you go here Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators you can select twisted/parallel next to the gauge of kanthal drop down menu. Default says "round"

what is this pen method you speak of

phanner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2014
Frederick, MD

Can you please tell me where you got that stand for building RDAs?

Thanks!

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
I used to run twisted all the time and decided a while ago to try parallel instead.

Personally I prefer parallel--to me it gives a much nicer vape.
How does a parallel coil work differently that a single wrap? Aside from the double legs, the coil looks the same.

Reactions: Romano Cheese

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
How does a parallel coil work differently that a single wrap? Aside from the double legs, the coil looks the same.
More wire properly used can produce more vapor...

Here's how it works electrically:

Take for example a single coil--6 wraps and let's say it measures 1 ohm --A parallel coil using the same wire but two strands 6 wraps each measures .5 ohms

Make sense?

Reactions: KentA

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
More wire properly used can produce more vapor...

Here's how it works electrically:

Take for example a single coil--6 wraps and let's say it measures 1 ohm --A parallel coil using the same wire but two strands 6 wraps each measures .5 ohms

Make sense?
It make a lot of sense. Thank you.

Reactions: Sgt.Rock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread