Question about unflavored e-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

king of queens

Feb 21, 2014
Luxembourg
Hi,

I would appreciate some input from other people that also are using unflavored liquid.
I use "totally wicked" PG, VG and 72mg nicotine base to mix a 50/50 12mg unflavored liquid.
As I understand it is normal that unflavored liquid has a bit of a bitter, scratchy or peppery note to it.
I would like to reduce this effect a little bit without having to put 20% flavor in a liquid.

What additives are recommended to reduce this harshness a little bit?
Is ethyl maltol an option for unlavored juice? Should i just add some water to it instead?
Reduce nicotine level?

Any recommendations?

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA

king of queens

Feb 21, 2014
Luxembourg
Add more VG or reduce the NIC content.

I think it is indeed the amount of nicotine. If I vape a diy juice with the same ingredients plus some flavoring, it is not as noticeable. I will try a lower nic base soon and hopefully it will be nicer to vape. I just want some nice cheap flavorless juice from time to time to reset my tastebuds :)

rowdyplace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
One of my daily vapes is "plain".

I started with a base of 50/50, added the 1.2%nic, and to this base, I was to add various flavorings as i mixed my way to stardom. In order to tell what effect each flavor had on the base, I kept an atty - Kanger T3s - full of the base to be used between the new concoctions. I have mixed many recipes (some good, some bad...) but still enjoy the "clean" flavor of the "plain".

My stuff has all come from Wizard Labs. Wizard Labs

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I would like to reduce this effect a little bit without having to put 20% flavor in a liquid.

Why the figure of 20%? You can hide the taste with 2% or 3% of the right flavour.

Do you want to vape unflavoured? or is it an issue with using too much flavour, in which case ditch Totally Wicked and use another company. I needed 25% of TW concentrates. Some flavours only need an amount measured in drops....not ml.

But, I may not understand what you are trying to achieve.

CoinLaundry

Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
Stuart, FL, USA
Hi,
I use "totally wicked" PG, VG and 72mg nicotine base to mix a 50/50 12mg unflavored liquid.
As I understand it is normal that unflavored liquid has a bit of a bitter, scratchy or peppery note to it.

The pepper taste is attributed to oxidization of the nicotine due to age, exposure to light, or improper storage. Fresh nic solution of good quality at 6mg in an RDA before becoming acclimated feels like you're tasting something chalky, but has no real flavor.

If you've just switched from a tank to an RDA, you're just learning what nicotine tastes like at 12mg/ml; not good. Most RDAs I see have =<6mg in them.

king of queens

Feb 21, 2014
Luxembourg
Why the figure of 20%? You can hide the taste with 2% or 3% of the right flavour.

Do you want to vape unflavoured? or is it an issue with using too much flavour, in which case ditch Totally Wicked and use another company. I needed 25% of TW concentrates. Some flavours only need an amount measured in drops....not ml.

But, I may not understand what you are trying to achieve.

I do want the plain unflavored "taste", but I think the nicotine strenght is too high, even though I vape all my five pawns and halo juices at the same nic level. Also it is a 2 day old mix, nic base has a few months when I first opened the bottle, but I guess I should just reduce the nic a bit. The 20% was just an example, because many people use that amount of flavoring, (I know it depends on the brand) some suggest 5,others 10 etc. But I just try to avoid flavors during the day, and when I come home I vape my other juices... harm reduction in mind. :)

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Yes, I smoked cigarettes for half my life, but I don't see myself vaping 72mg nic base, sorry :) No but seriously, I will try different "configurations"

Haha, yeah, after dilution...

Pretty much the only time I had that kind of harshness was 24mg All PG. 50/50 12mg is also what I've been vaping for a long time now and it's quite mild, for me.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2014
    Arizona
    I have my favorite flavors and some that have come and gone. But mostly I just get tired of a flavor during the day. Once I tried unflavored I was surprised what a good vape it is. I've done 50/50, 25pg/75vg and now I got some nic in vg for an all vg. I don't think I have a pg sensitivity but I am having some problems that may or may not be vape related.

I think the 25/75 gives the best combination of TH, taste, sweetness, viscosity, and vapor.

I do unflavored 90VG/10DW, 33 mg/ml nicotine, and I notice the TH when I take my first few puffs in the morning or after a meal, but not much in the way of flavor. If I am working long enough to not vape for a few hours, I seriously look forward to the TH, because the gum just doesn't cut it for me.

But yeah, lowering your nic level will definitely smooth it out, and dropping the PG may help. And it would not hurt to buy a few small nic samples from different vendors to see if some work better for you than others. But if you can be satisfied at a lower nic level without flavorings, that would be a good way to go for a couple of reasons.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    Yes, I smoked cigarettes for half my life, but I don't see myself vaping 72mg nic base, sorry :) No but seriously, I will try different "configurations"

You misunderstood that suggestion.

What they were trying to explain was how to narrow down the problem to either the NIC, the PG or the VG.

Step 1. Vape just the PG alone and if no pepper taste then.

Step 2. Vape just the VG alone and if no pepper taste then.

Step 3. Mix your usual base (NIC/PG/VG) to your usual vaping strength (6mg, 12mg, 18mg what ever it is....) and don't add flavoring. If you get the peppery taste then you know it's the NIC and not the VG, PG or flavoring.

Then you can carry that 1 step further, if your usual vaping strength is let say 12mg reduce the base to let say 9mg and see if it's less peppery. If it's better then you found your new vaping strength.

Then from there you can adjust your PG/VG ratio's to smooth it out even further (all done without flavoring).

For example lets say you found that 9mg is much smoother then 12mg but not smooth enough.

Try different PG/VG combos at 9mg such as 60VG/40PG or 70VG/30PG/5%DW or 80VG/20PG/7 - 10%DW.

Once you found the base that works for you repeat your favorite mixes using the new base and boy will you notice a huge difference in flavor.

And that my friends is how you adjust your base to fit your needs.

Last edited:

king of queens

Feb 21, 2014
    Luxembourg
    You misunderstood that suggestion.

What they were trying to explain was how to narrow down the problem to either the NIC, the PG or the VG.

Step 1. Vape just the PG alone and if no pepper taste then.

Step 2. Vape just the VG alone and if no pepper taste then.

Step 3. Mix your usual base (NIC/PG/VG) to your usual vaping strength (6mg, 12mg, 18mg what ever it is....) and don't add flavoring. If you get the peppery taste then you know it's the NIC and not the VG, PG or flavoring.

Then you can carry that 1 step further, if your usual vaping strength is let say 12mg reduce the base to let say 9mg and see if it's less peppery. If it's better then you found your new vaping strength.

Then from there you can adjust your PG/VG ratio's to smooth it out even further (all done without flavoring).

For example lets say you found that 9mg is much smoother then 12mg but not smooth enough.

Try different PG/VG combos at 9mg such as 60VG/40PG or 70VG/30PG/5%DW or 80VG/20PG/7 - 10%DW.

Once you found the base that works for you repeat your favorite mixes using the new base and boy will you notice a huge difference in flavor.

And that my friends is how you adjust your base to fit your needs.

Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll be checking all this out in my next "batch" and see what suits me best :)

I only have one question. If I am to add distilled water, what kind should I use for vaping. As I understand there are different kinds of distilled water and some contain some kind of chemicals, because they have been treated in a certain way etc. The only distilled water I know of, is the one used for ironing your shirts, if you know what I mean. Is that stuff safe to add? Any recommendations?

And thanks all you guys for your replies, I REALLY do appreciate it. Great community here.

Last edited:

williebb123

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 1, 2010
    Mount Shasta California
    Thanks a lot for your reply, I'll be checking all this out in my next "batch" and see what suits me best :)

I only have one question. If I am to add distilled water, what kind should I use for vaping. As I understand there are different kinds of distilled water and some contain some kind of chemicals, because they have been treated in a certain way etc. The only distilled water I know of, is the one used for ironing your shirts, if you know what I mean. Is that stuff safe to add? Any recommendations?

And thanks all you guys for your replies, I REALLY do appreciate it. Great community here.

didnt know of anything added to DW if thats the case they do make DW for infants im sure that should be some pretty clean water i remember buying some 20+ yrs ago when my kids were little

king of queens

Feb 21, 2014
    Luxembourg
    didnt know of anything added to DW if thats the case they do make DW for infants im sure that should be some pretty clean water i remember buying some 20+ yrs ago when my kids were little

Nothing is added, I just think that certain distilled waters have some kind of residues that others may not have. That being said, I think purified water from a pharmacy would be best?

king of queens

Feb 21, 2014
    Luxembourg
    Distilled water, like for your iron (or car battery lol), is pure. The only other would be sterile for irrigation. There are places that sell super pure distilled water but that may just be hype.

Don't use bottled water as it has minerals added for taste.

AFAIK distilled and deionised waters are different. Distilled should be pure, deionised for car battery is not recommended for human consumption in any way. But then again, no one should DRINK distilled water either. That's why I want to only use the purest non contaminated stuff I can get.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread