Question About Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
Hi all. I have a sigelei 75 watt and it takes a single battery. I'm using a 3.7 volt 2500 mAh 18650 battery and running a 0.4 ohm tank at 47 watts. When I fire the mod, the voltage reads 4.38V. Question: is the battery really delivering 4.38V to the tank, or is it just delivering the rated voltage once I get above 3.7V using the power setting? I like the amount of vapor, flavor, etc. but I would still like to know. If I turn down the watts setting to where the mod reads ~3.7V, there is actually a very noticeable decrease in flavor/vapor, so I'm not getting how exactly this works.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
That voltage is about right for a .4 ohm coil at 47 watts.
You battery, fully charged is 4.2ish volts. Your device is a buck-boost system, meaning it will boost your voltage to that needed via the chip system, or it will buck your voltage down via the chip system.
Your battery will output to the chip system what it has (4.2v and down) and the chip system will convert it to the required voltage for use.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
Ah, ok. So the voltage reading on the device is the accurate number of volts being fed to the atomizer by the chip, which can be higher than the volts being fed to the chip by the battery. So that means if I increased the wattage to 50 or 60 watts, I'd see an increase in volts even higher above the rated battery voltage, and flavor/vapor would increase because the chip has the ability to up the voltage. Got it. Thanks for your help. :)

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Firstly what battery are you using, as this is actually the important question.

On a regulated mod the coil resistance is unimportant. The regulator chip delivers the wattage you set to the atomizer, this is the voltage value you are seeing, it doesn't bear any relation to the battery voltage, and you don't need to worry about it. The regulator is able to 'step up' the voltage from what is available in the battery.
A fully charged 18650 is 4.2 volts, 3.7 volts is the nominal value where it will remain around for the longest as it discharges, again you don't need to worry about this.

A regulated mod will draw the smallest amount of amps from the battery when it is fully charged at 4.2v and the most when it is discharged at 3.2v. So if you ran the mod at 75 watts you would be pulling 20 amps initially then 26 amps discharged. You need to make sure your battery is capable of safely delivering this or use less wattage. A general rule of thumb for a single 20 amp CDR battery is 60 watts max.

You can model all this in steam-engine.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
sonicbomb, thanks for the info. I don't chase clouds - just a smoker and I like a tobacco/ashtray flavor out of a cigarette-sized exhale. I always stay on the small end of recommended watts. That's a good rule about the 60 watts. When I was a kid, I built simple circuitry for fun and managed to get some op-amps and batteries scorching hot with my experiments. I learned a respect for electricity, even those little Energizer 9 volts, so I won't be getting too out of hand with this mod.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I learned a respect for electricity, even those little Energizer 9 volts, so I won't be getting too out of hand with this mod.
    There are old electricians. There are bold electricians. There are no old and bold electricians.

Reactions: jolly_st_nic

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2012
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for helping me out! In case you can't see the info in the picture, it says:

INR18650-25R
    SAMSUNG SDI
    5 2G43

According to the entry for my battery at this link, I should be good. Continuous discharge is rated at 20A, max discharge is 35A, and it's safe to run down to 0.2 ohms. I got four of these at a very busy vape shop here in town, and it would surprise me if they were selling low quality to everyone.

Battery mAh & C Rating = amp Calculator

2016_10_16_145357.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread