Question for newbie’s about your devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scootaloo

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
So this question is for newbie’s who started vaping recently post-2014.

I switched to vaping roughly three maybe four years ago, back then it seems that the none cig-a-like devices were what pro-vapours bought whode been doing it for a while, and the majority of devices bought and easily available to everyone else were cig-a-likes.

It seems all that’s changed:

None cig-a-likes are what most people I know buy, even those who aren’t into vaping in a hobby/culture sort of way, as in go to vape meets, join ECF or keep up on the new devices etc.

I see vapours all the time in Nottingham where I'm from, it’s common place. But what I’ve never seen is anyone using a cig-a-like.

So my question for you newbie’s is, apart from any disposable cig-a-likes you may have bought to try out vaping. When you bought your first rechargeable bells and whistles device, was it a cig-a-like?

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
I started with Vission spinner with a mini kanger aerotank, but within a month I had a MVP with a regular Kanger Aerotank. Now, (just shy of 11 months late), I use everything from my original spinners to RDA's, sigelei 150 and subtanks. I only bought one cig-a-like during time and that was early on when I forgot vape at home. I used it till I got home an forgot it in car. It sat there until I later threw it away. Did I understand and answer your question?

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
No. I held out on Green Smokes for about 10 days till my Nautilus Mini, Kanger Geni Tank and iTaste MVP2 could be delivered. I've never gone back to cig-a-likes even though I still have my starter kit and some unused cartos still around somewhere. That said, I did read around and joined ECF within days of switching to vaping so I more or less knew what other, more experienced, vapers were on to.

Reactions: Jode

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
I followed vaping from a distance for 2 years. I tried cig-a-likes for 1 year along with analogs. I didn't like the cig-a-likes as they kept dying and the cartos were half as much as analogs. I remember being in a flea market and a guy tried to sell me a an MVP and a protank for $150. I got my first look at real setup. Then a friend had a protank on a ego battery. It looked so cool and he said it worked great. I watched vaping grow and now I'm a part of it. It feels really good to know you've joined the right team.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Yes, my partner and I started off with the rechargeable Blu starter kits (bought two starter packs and about 8 packets of refills). We failed miserably with them and ultimately went back to smoking. Then I went into a tobacco shop to grab a carton of smokes and saw that he had those ego twist type of things so instead of buying a carton of smokes I bought one of those with about 3 heads and 3 bottles of liquid and later on my partner followed my lead when I bought a second ego twist (lost the first one, must have fallen out of the car when I parked) then bought a third and gave him my second and he quit smoking too. We are both now about a year and a half into this and neither of us wants to go back to tobacco smoking.

Oh and I think we only managed about 5 to 7 days on the Blu's, ultimately they were simply unfulfilling and left us craving real cigarettes, but we did manage to stay smoke free that week at his parents house but once we returned home we picked up a carton of smokes at the Indian reservation near to home.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I did some research online after trying my first disposable cigalike (NJoy). I thought I wanted a device that looked like a cigarette, so I bought a SmokelessImage Volt starter kit. That kit got me off of the smokes within a week's time, but I quickly grew weary of the poor battery time, the limitations of the juice delivery devices it could use, and just a general lack of performance to keep me off of the smokes.

I decided that my vaping device didn't need to look like a cigarette, I valued performance more than appearances. I was no longer smoking, I was vaping. And IMHO vaping required bigger batteries than a cigalike.

I did more research, found ECF, took some experienced advice, and bought my first mechanical mod along with some cartotanks. I didn't think I'd need variable voltage until I actually tried a regulated mod with my own cartotanks. I did research on regulated mods, and within a week I had purchased my first Provari.

Over the next three years I began collecting different juice attachments and mods, as vaping also became a hobby for me. However, today I still use my first mechanical mod (Altsmoke Silver Bullet) and a Provari. I guess my earlier research paid off as they have proven to be reliable and dependable and they have been able to continually fullfill my expectations in a vaping device.

I believe we are presently seeing a new generation of new vapers who are not so concerned about what their vaping device looks like, and are skipping the cigalike and eGo battery setups for the more advanced "mods". Seeing advanced personal vaporizers in public is more common than when I first began vaping. Therefore they are more acceptable to beginners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooch

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
So this question is for newbie’s who started vaping recently post-2014.

I switched to vaping roughly three maybe four years ago, back then it seems that the none cig-a-like devices were what pro-vapours bought whode been doing it for a while, and the majority of devices bought and easily available to everyone else were cig-a-likes.

It seems all that’s changed:

None cig-a-likes are what most people I know buy, even those who aren’t into vaping in a hobby/culture sort of way, as in go to vape meets, join ECF or keep up on the new devices etc.

I see vapours all the time in Nottingham where I'm from, it’s common place. But what I’ve never seen is anyone using a cig-a-like.

So my question for you newbie’s is, apart from any disposable cig-a-likes you may have bought to try out vaping. When you bought your first rechargeable bells and whistles device, was it a cig-a-like?
We don't say cigalike or ecig....we say PV[emoji51]

genelbc

ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2015
columbia sc
I tried cig-a-likes a couple times and absolutely hated them. A few of my friends had what at the time i thought to be crazy big ridiculous mods. After trying those i decided i could quit smoking with something like that. Bought an mvp2 used it for a week. That got me off the analogs. Then i bought a istick 30w and atlantis v1been using that for quite awhile now. Just got the orchid v4 to try my hand at rebuilding before i step up to a better mod. I couldnt be happier.

But no cig-a-likes never did for me. Actually made me not try real vaping for quite some time

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
My very first experience was with a disposable. Hubby brought it home from shopping one day, so I could try it and see if it might work. Well, it didn't, but mostly because I didn't know HOW to vape properly, but it did keep me from lighting a cigarette for one whole evening and most of the next morning until the disposable died. At $6 a pop, I figured that would be WAAAAY to expensive to continue, and I started searching "e-cig" on the internet and found you guys. I finally ordered a pair of Kanger EVODs and I love them, and will continue to use this style for the foreseeable future. It's what I need, and I'm perfectly happy with it, and better yet, it satisfies my cravings so I haven't had an analogue for over 3 weeks now. I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but everyone has to start somewhere, and I'm just at the beginning of my journey. ;) I won't light up a tobacco cigarette again. I just wish I'd known about these a long time ago!

~Lannie

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
A cigalike is actually what kept me from vaping for more than a year. Was my priciest failed attempt at quitting and at the time I had no knowledge that other options existed.

A year later, during my neighbourhood's annual street festival, I popped into a new shop dedicated to vaping. The guy running it handed me an eGo-C with a T3S BCC - free of charge - and I quit dead that very day.

A week later I returned to pay back the generosity with an upgrade - an MVP (ver. 1) and a Protank. Concurrently I began my research on mechanicals and rebuildables.

And that was the end of that.

I'm convinced there's a very good reason many of the cigalikes available are owned by big tobacco: They want vaping to be seen as a useless toy so folks run back to the cancer sticks. Smart strategy, really. Why not make a buck while tarnishing any good reputation a smoker may have gathered about the safer option?

Reactions: SleeZy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread