Question on coil wrapping - new to RDA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

simerese

Feb 8, 2014
Buffalo, NY
I just did my first successful build! I built a dual micro coil on an iGo-W clocking in at about .7ohms and so far I'm quite happy. Since I'm new to rebuilding of course I'm watching all kinds of "how to" videos and questions are starting to swirl around my head. I guess my question(s) are: what's the difference between a micro coil vs spacing the wraps out? What's the difference between 3 or 4 wraps vs 8 or 10? What's the difference between wrapping your kanthal on a small eyeglass screwdriver vs a thicker drill bit? What effect do these types of techniques have on your vaping experience? Thanks in advance for any replies!

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Hi Simerese. For me the micro coil gives the absolute best flavor for the amount of time invested in making it. Basically I can take a 1/16 drill bit and wrap a 10 wrap coil, thread it with cotton and go on about my day in less than 4 minutes. I could probably get a more flavorful vape from some other build, but right now, it's my goto coil and it's giving me an excellent consistent vaping experience.

There are many theories as to why the micro coil gives great flavor. Most seem to think it is because there is more wire to vaporize the juice faster and hotter, producing a clean vape where all the liquid components are vaporized at almost the same time. There are posters here with much more expertise than I about micro coils (superxdrifter being one - the grand-daddy and probably the first micro coil builder in these parts)

You can read all about difference micro coil builds http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/446263-micro-coils-ohms-description-12.html <--- there.

As for the size of the internal diameter of the coil, well that kind of defines if you are building a micro or a nano. Again, it all seems to boil down to wire surface area and wicking. With most nano coils, you'll have to put the cotton around the coil and not through it. I've had mixed results using this type of build, although some use it all the time and say it is better (provides a faster response and more flavor) than a micro build.

It's a whole new world out there, just keep doing what you are doing, reading, learning and watching others build on you tube. Rip Tripper has some pretty good building vids if you are interested.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Main advantages of using a micro coil is to have more wick to coil surface contact for more vapor production at the same ohms as tradition hand wrapped coils. Once on gets competent at building, it is much easier to hit the ohms aimed for on consistent build. Also they heat up really fast and even. Diameter of the wrap depends on the atomizer, and build style one uses, the ohms one is looking for. I aim for a coil to use as much space as allowed for on the build deck between the two posts.

Since resistance is a function of length of wire used for the wraps of coil, the more wraps and larger the size of the wraps makes for more resistance, one can dial in the ohms desired by changing either or both wraps and diameter.

Micro's offer an easy way to learn and be competent at building consistent quality coils consistently.

romanpicisan

Sep 20, 2013
Saga, Japan
building micro, nano and now the super-nano coil serves the purpose of achieving lower resistance per number of wraps compared to the spaced coil. because the coil are touching, this will cause 'shorting' thus lowering the resistance and produces more heat when fired. so in turn, more juice will vaporize with the extra heat provided. another benefit, no hot leg issues in this type of build so less metallic taste problem. oh, and also supposedly more TH and extra flavor (maybe true, but hardly noticeable by me).

more wraps means more contact surface. it's good if you are using a regulated mod. mind you, microcoil more than 1 ohm tend to heat up slowly, slow response time when fires. more than 1.5 ohm could take forever. this is due to the increased volume per length. not good if you are using a mech. i am running spaced coil in my gennie. maybe i will try a micro on my taifun gt when i get it in my vapemail.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
microcoil more than 1 ohm tend to heat up slowly, slow response time when fires. more than 1.5 ohm could take forever. this is due to the increased volume per length.
What?! Maybe I shouldn't even be bothering trying micro-coils. 1.5 ohm is absolutely the lowest I would be willing to go. And, I'ld rather about 2.0 ohms.

Maybe it's time to re-think.

romanpicisan

Sep 20, 2013
Saga, Japan
What?! Maybe I shouldn't even be bothering trying micro-coils. 1.5 ohm is absolutely the lowest I would be willing to go. And, I'ld rather about 2.0 ohms.

coil diameter and wire gauge need to be factored in building micro. in mech mod, i seldom see build above 1 ohm. sometime 1.1-1.2 ohm builds are exceptions. but that all you need. i'd tried single coil nano wrapped around the smallest paperclip (less than 1mm dia), 8 wraps equal 0.8 ohm and fired pretty excellent. with dual coils, 15 wraps produced about the same resistance and fired as as good as in single coil setup.

but on regulated mods, some vapers go crazy high like 2.5-2.8 ohm. no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dripdaze

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
building micro, nano and now the super-nano coil serves the purpose of achieving lower resistance per number of wraps compared to the spaced coil. because the coil are touching, this will cause 'shorting' thus lowering the resistance and produces more heat when fired. so in turn, more juice will vaporize with the extra heat provided. another benefit, no hot leg issues in this type of build so less metallic taste problem. oh, and also supposedly more TH and extra flavor (maybe true, but hardly noticeable by me).

more wraps means more contact surface. it's good if you are using a regulated mod. mind you, microcoil more than 1 ohm tend to heat up slowly, slow response time when fires. more than 1.5 ohm could take forever. this is due to the increased volume per length. not good if you are using a mech. i am running spaced coil in my gennie. maybe i will try a micro on my taifun gt when i get it in my vapemail.

Sorry man but incorrect info here. There is no 'shorting' due to the coils touching. The resistance per wrap is less simply because the diameter is less. This means more wraps and using the same amount of 'resistance wire'

Also, OP, it sounds like you may have a decent battery, but it's important to know why if you'll be building your own coils. It all comes down to how much amperage draw your battery can withstand. I highly recommend you research this thoroughly so you know what you're doing, but in case you don't, here's the crash course version.

Voltage divided by resistance (ohms) equals amp draw on your battery. A good example would be my current build. 4.2 volts (fully charged 3.7 battery) divided by .9 (ohms of my coil) would be around 5 amps. This means the battery in my mech needs to be able to withstand a 5 amp drain. Make sense?

If not I would be risking over taxing my battery. IE thermal run away... flames... battery explodes... makes me even less easy to look at.

Last edited:

romanpicisan

Sep 20, 2013
Saga, Japan
Sorry man but incorrect info here. There is no 'shorting' due to the coils touching. The resistance per wrap is less simply because the diameter is less. This means more wraps and using the same amount of 'resistance wire'.

you have to be fair to compare an apple to an apple, or in this case, same coil diameter to coil diameter.

for example, a 1.5 mm diameter microcoil would have less resistance than 1.5 mm spaced coil. the actual wire length used maybe 20% at most less in touching coils but you could cut the resistance to almost half from the 'tightly' spaced one. if coils touching is not called 'shorting' i don't know what else to call it then.

EDIT: added the word 'tightly'

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
you have to be fair to compare an apple to an apple, or in this case, same coil diameter to coil diameter.

for example, a 1.5 mm diameter microcoil would have less resistance than 1.5 mm spaced coil. the actual wire length used maybe 20% at most less in touching coils but you could cut the resistance to almost half from the 'tightly' spaced one. if coils touching is not called 'shorting' i don't know what else to call it then.

EDIT: added the word 'tightly'
'Shorting' is when voltage follows the path of less resistance as opposed to the intended path. With a micro coil, the voltage doesn't jump across each coil since they are all touching, it follows the path of the kanthal in whichever shape it was wrapped. Electricity will always follow the easiest (usually the largest) path.

The resistance is less because the overall length (path the voltage has to follow) is less.

I feel it's important that you understand the facts and terminology while giving advice to someone. Am I making this make sense?

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado

Also, bad info. You can easily make a micro coil of 2 ohms using 30 gauge that will heat up instantly. For my regulated devices, 30 gauge micro coils are all I use, and they are great.

28 gauge tends to take a bit longer if it's above 1.3 ohms but 30 gauge is gtg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread