Question on coil wrapping - new to RDA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
you'll provide the easiest path by having metal touching metal, more larger contact surface (read less resistance) for current to conduct. what made you think metal touching metal does not allow electricity to pass through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grrrr. Brother you're giving me a head ache. Not trying to jack the OP's thread, but you still seem to be of a misunderstanding on how this works. If the voltage simply jumped from contact point to contact point the coils wouldn't heat evenly. You don't have to take my word for it. It's a fact. Do some reading up on it.:)

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Also, bad info. You can easily make a micro coil of 2 ohms using 30 gauge that will heat up instantly. For my regulated devices, 30 gauge micro coils are all I use, and they are great.

28 gauge tends to take a bit longer if it's above 1.3 ohms but 30 gauge is gtg.

So, it's because they're using so much wire that's so thick (lower gauge), not the actual resistance itself. Thank you.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
So, it's because they're using so much wire that's so thick (lower gauge), not the actual resistance itself. Thank you.

I really don't want to confuse you man. 28 gauge (thicker wire) will give lower resistance per length, but even though it is of lower resistance, it will take longer to heat up than the same resistance of 30 gauge wire. Surface area difference? IDK, but I know that's the way it is because I've experienced it many times.

The thing you should take away from this is that 30 gauge wire (in my experience) is much more suited for regulated devices than 28 gauge all day long.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
building microcoil more than 1 ohm tend to heat up slowly, slow response time when fires. more than 1.5 ohm could take forever. this is due to the increased volume per length. not good if you are using a mech. i am running spaced coil in my gennie. maybe i will try a micro on my taifun gt when i get it in my vapemail.

On a regulated mod a micro coil heats up almost instantly on builds of 1-2.2 ohms, that's one of the beauties of using them. This is if you are using a single wire design. If one is using twisted wire, 2 or 3 wires twisted together than wrapped into a coil, then yeah, you are going to get vape lag because you are actually heating up twice or 3 times the wire mass to achieve your ohms.

What?! Maybe I shouldn't even be bothering trying micro-coils. 1.5 ohm is absolutely the lowest I would be willing to go. And, I'ld rather about 2.0 ohms.

Maybe it's time to re-think.

No worries, a properly built micro coil of 1.5-2 ohms will heat up nice and quick on a regulated device. I've used 28 awg on builds as high as 2 ohms and never suffered from vape lag. If you use 30 or 32 awg then you can have an even smaller length micro coil of the same ohms and it will heat up as fast as most sub ohm builds.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I really don't want to confuse you man. 28 gauge (thicker wire) will give lower resistance per length, but even though it is of lower resistance, it will take longer to heat up than the same resistance of 30 gauge wire.

Isn't that what I said? Just not as clearly as you did.

Thanks for the confirmation though.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
On a regulated mod a micro coil heats up almost instantly on builds of 1-2.2 ohms, that's one of the beauties of using them. This is if you are using a single wire design. If one is using twisted wire, 2 or 3 wires twisted together than wrapped into a coil, then yeah, you are going to get vape lag because you are actually heating up twice or 3 times the wire mass to achieve your ohms.

No worries, a properly built micro coil of 1.5-2 ohms will heat up nice and quick on a regulated device. I've used 28 awg on builds as high as 2 ohms and never suffered from vape lag. If you use 30 or 32 awg then you can have an even smaller length micro coil of the same ohms and it will heat up as fast as most sub ohm builds.

Exactly what he/she said. Figured since most regulated devices have a 3 amp limit or lower, you won't be using below 1.5 ish ohm builds. I still maintain that using 28 gauge above 1.3 ish ohms will have lag with regulated devices. Sigh, anyway man, I hope any of this helps.

danny4x4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
London
romanpicisan:12193673 said:
you'll provide the easiest path by having metal touching metal, more larger contact surface (read less resistance) for current to conduct. what made you think metal touching metal does not allow electricity to pass through?

The wire will build up a layer of oxidation when you first fire it or torch it. Hence the current DOES NOT jump across the wraps or short out. It will flow along the path of the coil.

romanpicisan

Sep 20, 2013
Saga, Japan
actually in microcoil the spiral-shape coil is reduced to just hollow tube, hence behaving like it. you'll find the resistance drop is not linearly proportional with the reduced wire length.

I = ΔQ/Δt (current,amperes)

where Q is the amount of charge flowing through cross section area A, and delta t is the change in time.

area, A now is not just the area of a single wire but become the area of the 'hollow tube', this is why the resistance drop is not linearly proportional with actual wire length decrease.

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Lots of good info. New people should read and try to understand clearly what dice and StarAndBars are saying.

If you are just starting out, keep the build simple and try to learn the basics. Simple 28g 8/9 @ 1/16" micro coil will give you plenty to learn from. thickness of wick, air hole position, distance from the post, distance from the deck.. etc. These variables have more effect on vapor production than # of wraps.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
actually in microcoil the spiral-shape coil is reduced to just hollow tube, hence behaving like it. you'll find the resistance drop is not linearly proportional with the reduced wire length.

where Q is the amount of charge flowing through cross section area A, and delta t is the change in time.

area, A now is not just the area of a single wire but become the area of the 'hollow tube', this is why the resistance drop is not linearly proportional with actual wire length decrease.

Not sure where you got your info but the change in resistance is indeed linear. Which basically disproves what you're trying to say. I appreciate you trying to contribute but it's important to get your facts straight

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA

You are incorrect in this thinking. The current does not flow through a coil as if it were a tube. It still behaves as if it is a coil and the current follows the coils. This can easily be demonstrated. When you first build coil and have the coils spaced. Read the ohms. Fire that coil and squeeze it together. If the current was then jumping from one coil to the next the resistance would drop drastically as now you would essentially have a larger diameter and shorter length. This is not the case at all. If anything the resistance goes up by .1ohm after firing it. I have built several coils and I used to think the same as you. I was proven wrong when I had one touching a sidewall on my RDA and it did not short out. The annealing of the wire prevents it from allowing the current through. To a point of course, higher voltages would overcome that effect I am sure.

romanpicisan

Sep 20, 2013
Saga, Japan
You are incorrect in this thinking. The current does not flow through a coil as if it were a tube. It still behaves as if it is a coil and the current follows the coils. This can easily be demonstrated. When you first build coil and have the coils spaced. Read the ohms. Fire that coil and squeeze it together. If the current was then jumping from one coil to the next the resistance would drop drastically as now you would essentially have a larger diameter and shorter length. This is not the case at all. If anything the resistance goes up by .1ohm after firing it. I have built several coils and I used to think the same as you. I was proven wrong when I had one touching a sidewall on my RDA and it did not short out. The annealing of the wire prevents it from allowing the current through. To a point of course, higher voltages would overcome that effect I am sure.

if that the case, i stand corrected and rest my case.

thanks all. cheers!

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa

Hang on now, I know for a fact the Q is a member from the continuum, all Powerful all knowing and like to mess with Jean Luc Picard

umm never mind, wrong forum.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread